Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has good games but then other games looks vulnerable. Against Norwich he gave the ball to Dier and Dier passed it back. He then had no idea what to do with it. Any CB pairing should limit the times they give him the ball as his distribution is poor. Apart from that he played well in that match. Against Burnley Dier took on Wood in the first half but when Dier moved into midfield it was left to Sanchez who was bullied. He is not small but cannot cope with a strong CF but is better against a more mobile one.

He has good games but then other games looks vulnerable. Against Norwich he gave the ball to Dier and Dier passed it back. He then had no idea what to do with it. Any CB pairing should limit the times they give him the ball as his distribution is poor. Apart from that he played well in that match. Against Burnley Dier took on Wood in the first half but when Dier moved into midfield it was left to Sanchez who was bullied. He is not small but cannot cope with a strong CF but is better against a more mobile one.
Which of our defenders can cope against a strong CF.

Pukki ripped the piss out of Jand and Toby, ditto Ings. Giroud recently ripped the utter cunt out of Toby.

Which of our defenders can cope against a strong CF.

Pukki ripped the piss out of Jand and Toby, ditto Ings. Giroud recently ripped the utter cunt out of Toby.

Giroud embarrassed Toby so badly he got subbed off and benched for 2 games

As a centerback he is not going to peak for some time. He needs leadership and coaching. He is also not used to being bullied because for much of his career he is used to having the physical advantage. He is flaws and all an asset. But Burnley away is his personal Elm street.

As a centerback he is not going to peak for some time. He needs leadership and coaching. He is also not used to being bullied because for much of his career he is used to having the physical advantage. He is flaws and all an asset. But Burnley away is his personal Elm street.

Despite the hate mob narrative, he's been excellent in some games this season.

So obv. to me that if he'd played the previous 2 seasons alongside Vert (as he should have) we'd have a much better, more consistent player on our hands.

People talk so much sh!t.

Sanchez is not the issue but a symptom of the problem the team has at present.

Look at the defenders around him, most of whom are more experienced.

The team need confidence and belief. They need consistency of selection and need to grow.

Of course mistakes will occur but see them for the situation as opposed to the player.

On one or two others of course there are concerns around application and fitness which I think are infinitely fairer in the making.

Sanchez has had some brilliant games for us this season often saving us on his own he has also had some pretty terrible games.

He still plays like a talented but inexperienced defender and that is the issue. Toby and Verts have declined massively, Tanganga is another talented but inexperienced player.

We miss peak Toby/Verts to provide the calming and controlling influence on the defence and while Dier has balls he is not DM for the modern game, he is far too immobile and limited on the ball while Winks is very much a number 8.

Get a decent DM and a decent commanding CB and watch everyone around them like Sanchez and Tanganga play more consistently.

Mourinho is correct we don’t have a balanced squad and it’s making some of our better players look average.

Everything about him is so fucking frantic.
There is something of truth here but I believe that's more a symptom of the dynamic of our backline, be that in a 3, 4, 5 or 6 at the back. Sanchez is asked to do the running of the entire backline. This doesn't just mean the ball in behind that he covers (across the entire pitch) I think he's also asked to be the guy that steps in to engage the player on the ball that's behind our midfield.

Jan, Toby and Davies whilst never quick in the first place have dropped massively off a cliff this season (I say Toby was this bad last year too hence why Poch wanted him not to sign a new deal), this has only magnified the issue and means Sanchez has to be literally everywhere.

I'm glad Tanganga is getting mins, although past the euphoria around his first game he is struggling, I still like what I see in him though and he would also benefit hugely from having a stable position and teammates to build a platform of performance off.

The only thing that Sanchez isn't great at is his long-range and mid-range forward passing, often telegraphed and easy to intercept, often with poor pace on the ball (under or over hit), so the receiver of the ball can be pressed and targetted as a potential counter-press option.

It's time to ditch Toby & Jan for sure have them used as cover for injuries and suspensions and use this season to build a defence for next year and beyond Sanchez, Dier (no matter what is said about him he's a more complete CB than both Jan and Toby are today), Foyth (who I think is a baller and his ability on the ball is a powerful dynamic on beating an opposition press, for which we are a target right now). Out of this lot the biggest collective weakness would be in the air, but that's been a weakness even when Toby and Jan at their prime.

Back
Top Bottom