Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Going to sound strange coming from a Jose hater but I won't judge yet (last post was a joke).

Maybe his idea was the local quartet discreetly get together and do some drills whilst adhering to social distancing. Which would basically be 5 people maintaining distance and doing their daily exercise at the same time.

Would also seem like he's making a real effort, and making an effort with Tanguy.

Does it make it right? Not really but I can sympathise if it was intended to be done with certain measures in place. The footage of Sess and Davison running side by side (just the 2 of them in a clip) makes me think this will get messy though.

First time I read that I thought it was a joke, like the club weren't impressed with how they performed... Only on second look did I catch on that the club is not impressed with the session being organised.

Davinson Sanchez admits Tottenham can't afford to play like they did in defeat to RB Leipzig
Sanchez: "Looking back we can't play like we were doing before. We have to do better if we are going to finish in the position that we want."
By Emma Paton, Sky Sports News
Last Updated: 16/05/20 8:13am

Davinson Sanchez admits Tottenham cannot afford to play like they were before the coronavirus pandemic if they are to achieve their goals this season.

When football across Europe was put on pause due to the coronavirus pandemic, Spurs had just suffered a 3-0 defeat to RB Leipzig in the Champions League to complete a run of five defeats from their last six in all competitions.

And the 23-year-old says the team needs to perform to a much higher standard if the season will resume, as they are falling way short of their goals for the season as things stand.

"I think everyone knows as a team we expect to do better," Sanchez told Sky Sports News.

"The Premier League is always hard but we need to improve, that's why we put so much work in every day, we'll see what's going to happen but looking back we can't play like we were doing before.

"We have to do better if we are going to finish in the position that we want."

Sanchez has been spending the lockdown period by keeping fit at home and says he's finally had time to help out in the house on different chores.

"I've been working in the garden, watering the plants," he said. "I've been in the kitchen too, lots of cleaning, my wife is happy."

With preparations being made for football's restart, he is happy to leave the dishes behind as training ramps up.

The Premier League was suspended in March and while Tottenham players have been able to return to individual sessions at their Enfield training ground, there is hope that players can get back to group training soon.

"It's good to see your team-mates working, not by your side, but doing the same things you're doing," he said.

"Right now we're back at the training ground and respecting all the processes. We say 'oh it's a long time' but there's nothing we can do and we have to accept this.

"As footballers, we want to be training. We can work from home one, two, or three times a week but it's not the same."

A positive for Spurs, when the Premier League does restart, is the return of Harry Kane, who is now fully fit after recovering from a ruptured hamstring on New Year's Day.

Along with Kane, Moussa Sissoko and Steven Bergwijn are other players expected to be available when football makes its return.

"Harry has been doing everything to return, even before the lockdown he was working hard, everyone knows that," Sanchez said.

"For us, of course, he's key a player we need there all the time. I think about my position - if I have him in front - it's like 'ok, watch out it's Harry there', he's fighting for the Golden Boot.

"I was training with him yesterday and he's doing very well."

Talking about working under Jose Mourinho, Sanchez said, "It's special. Everyone wants to learn from him and improve, even the more experienced players like Hugo [Lloris], who is a World Cup winner.

"We know the gaffer is a very good person, always there asking about your family and everything. We, as a team, are very, very excited to keep improving under him."

Davinson Sanchez says the frightening nature of the robbery of his Tottenham team-mate Dele Alli makes it "hard to speak about", but he is thankful the midfielder survived the incident.

Alli was held at knifepoint during a robbery at a north London home in the early hours of Wednesday morning, during which he was reportedly assaulted.

The England midfielder later on Wednesday wrote on Twitter it had been a "horrible experience" but he was "okay".

"It's hard to talk about this situation because no one can expect that to happen, when you're in a place you are paying to be safe, but life is like that," Sanchez told Sky Sports News.

"We need to thank God because he's well, nothing wrong happened. Just something material [was stolen].

"He's alive, he's well, his family are well. It's hard to speak about. You never expect, but after what happened, you need to say thank you because he's well.

"I think everyone sent a message to say 'how are you?'

"It could happen to anyone. If they want to take something then ok, but life is more important."

I thought Davy did an efficient job last night, considering the opposition and that he hasn't played alongside Eric much. If this is our future, then they need time to gel and develop a strong partnership.
I think, with the right coaching and playing time, then he could be a good player for us.

I thought Davy did an efficient job last night, considering the opposition and that he hasn't played alongside Eric much. If this is our future, then they need time to gel and develop a strong partnership.
I think, with the right coaching and playing time, then he could be a good player for us.
I do like him, but the thing that really curbs my enthusiasm for him is his distribution - he hasn’t improved at all in this respect.

But I do agree that in the basic art of defending, he has shown he can be very good.

I do like him, but the thing that really curbs my enthusiasm for him is his distribution - he hasn’t improved at all in this respect.

But I do agree that in the basic art of defending, he has shown he can be very good.
Depends if you want a "quarterback" who can fire 60 yard balls down the pitch but who can't run or tackle or head a ball, or someone with poor distribution, but pace, tackling ability, heading ability and will happily throw himself in front of everything.

Toby and Jan would have been fodder last night.

Depends if you want a "quarterback" who can fire 60 yard balls down the pitch but who can't run or tackle or head a ball, or someone with poor distribution, but pace, tackling ability, heading ability and will happily throw himself in front of everything.

Toby and Jan would have been fodder last night.

Sure both are past their best, but they once had both bases covered (although with Jan it was more qualityin possession than great distribution).... It's not intrinsically a case of 1 or the other.

That's not a knock on Dav tho....To me as long as you can get a good blend between the 2CBs you're good.

Sure both are past their best, but they once had both bases covered (although with Jan it was more qualityin possession than great distribution).... It's not intrinsically a case of 1 or the other.

That's not a knock on Dav tho....To me as long as you can get a good blend between the 2CBs you're good.
Dav has moments of uncertainty, last night was due to the height of the ball and the direction he was moving, if he had headed it back across the area, he'd have been wrong, what he did was wrong. But what do you do with that sort of ball.

What gets me is people can't see the utter decline in the two Belgians, and here's the rub, Toby has been far, far worse than Jan this season. The Aston Villa game, especially when Grealish just ran away from him, and the Chav game where Giroud ran him raged showed he's done.

Got his contract, gets lots of pictures on the Spurs Twitter and such, but performing like someone who won a raffle to play for us.

Dav has moments of uncertainty, last night was due to the height of the ball and the direction he was moving, if he had headed it back across the area, he'd have been wrong, what he did was wrong. But what do you do with that sort of ball.

What gets me is people can't see the utter decline in the two Belgians, and here's the rub, Toby has been far, far worse than Jan this season. The Aston Villa game, especially when Grealish just ran away from him, and the Chav game where Giroud ran him raged showed he's done.

Got his contract, gets lots of pictures on the Spurs Twitter and such, but performing like someone who won a raffle to play for us.

Unfortunately I agree. Toby this season has had games where he looks like he is running in custard, go back 2-3 seasons and he was just about the best one on one defender in the prem not just the club, almost no attacker could beat him.

His loss of speed and power even in relation to Jan has been huge. It’s sad because both him and Jan where such quality and we where luck to have them.

Dav is ok, great as a defender but limited on the ball, if we can get maybe another top CB I think we will be fine.

I think it's interesting that Jose opted to bench Toby for a big (personally & competitively) game.... Maybe you'll start to get what you've been hoping for.

I agree with Ms P that Dav and Dier were very effective last night. Had a nice combination of pace and strength. dealt with United very well. Dier was unlucky with the pen IMO.

Back
Top Bottom