Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think we can finally put to bed the idea that "he just needs time/ a run of games" - he makes mistakes, regularly.

He's rash and often caught out of position - not good enough.

He always makes me nervous which is a very bad thing for a CB.

His passing is woeful but could live with that if did the other things right. However, he's so weak, erratic, error prone, etc. Reserved judgment on him initially as young, but can anyone honestly say he's got better? Not for me. Not good enough.
He looks so nervous when defending which is not a good character to have in a Mourinho's team. I do not agree with age as you can see Reguilón is 23 and new to the PL but it looks like a veteran and yet Sanchez is 24 and actually been in the PL for a while now and they look like day and night.

Sanchez has had plenty of time with us and has built up an amount of international experience, but you just know with him there's a poor error of judgement or basic mistake coming which will cost the team massively.

Bearing in mind they're all one big flip-flopping, yay/boo clusterfuck; perhaps Admin Admin can merge the Sanchez, Winks, Aurier, Dier & Sissoko threads...... :)

All this clicking between them is very tiresome.
Can we put Lucas in there too? Or is there a consensus of "he's shit" even though he isn't.

Tanganga is still raw but looks way better and could improve. Our worst CB for me.

How short some peoples memories are.

Are we just forgetting that Tanganga was pretty much at fault or poor for a goal every single time he played a game for us at centre back?

How short some peoples memories are.

Are we just forgetting that Tanganga was pretty much at fault or poor for a goal every single time he played a game for us at centre back?
My memory is fine mate. How's yours regarding your absurd Kane opinions not so long ago? As I said, Tanganga for me is still raw but is younger and has room for improvement. Sanchez however is well dodgy, cost a bomb, and has not progressed. If you're happy with him at the back then that worries me because he scares the shit out of me

My memory is fine mate. How's yours regarding your absurd Kane opinions not so long ago? As I said, Tanganga for me is still raw but is younger and has room for improvement. Sanchez however is well dodgy and has not progressed. If you're happy with him at the back then that worries me because he scares the shit out of me

I'm more worried as to why none of our players know how to defend a set piece.

Not entirely bothered by our defending as a whole. It's no where near as bad as people make out. We rarely let teams trouble our goal as it is. Didn't really remember any saves Lloris had to make against Man Utd and didn't really remember any saves Lloris had to make today before the 80th minute.

Are Sanchez, Tanganga, Alderweireld, Dier and Rodon a good enough centre back cover to compete in the Premier League? I'd say so. Especially if Morgan, Huth, Wasilewski and Benaloune were.

Tanganga has room for improvement, sure. A lot of room. His anticipation is poor, tends to go to sleep, poor at reading the play and sells himself a bit too easily. But he is strong, quick and wins a lot in the air. So maybe there's something there.

Rodon is the one I have hopes for. Especially if Mourinho wanted him. Finally, a left sided centre back who's comfortable at the back and good in the air.

I know the transfer window is now shut but what are the legalities of putting the guy up for sale on eBay ??

No club's going to meet the Don's reserve price :pochunimpressed:

Sanchez has a got a bit of pace, but gets surprisingly easily bullied, has questionable defensive positioning and awareness and always seems to have a clown shoe moment in him. But he'll continue to get matches as Jose seems to rate him ahead of Toby. Please save us Joey Rodon :pochhail:

If we get 10 million for him it's a fair price. Just get rid. That's the major problem with our transfer window, we bring in some very good players but couldn't offload liabilities like Sanchez, Sissoko, Lucas. In fact Foyth was a much better player than him and has done less shite also.

I’m an eternal optimist but even I must admit it is a sad state of affairs how little Sanchez has progressed since we bought him and the unfulfilled expectations of a player we once saw eventually replacing and emulating Toby and Vertonghen at their peaks... just not going to happen is it, what a pity

My memory is fine mate. How's yours regarding your absurd Kane opinions not so long ago? As I said, Tanganga for me is still raw but is younger and has room for improvement. Sanchez however is well dodgy, cost a bomb, and has not progressed. If you're happy with him at the back then that worries me because he scares the shit out of me
Agree. Tanganga lacks experience, but you can see he has instinct. On the other hand, Sanchez looks clueless in every aspects. For someone has that build, he's so weak. He can run, yet he can't even use his pace since he's too slow to realize the situation around him. Got the wrong Colombian CB. Mina is not really great, but at least he can function in a defense as he's strong in the air, and not total liability.

Davinson shouldn't be made a scapegoat for today's result. He and Toby were handling West Ham (and Antonio specifically) pretty well. His own goal was disappointing but he needed to put something on it to stop a guaranteed goal behind him.

Aurier committing stupid fouls to give away dangerous free kicks and the inability of a Sissoko-Winks CM partnership not to get overrun was more to blame.

It's not even about being a scapegoat.

It is much more about his consitent run of errors. If we have CB like him, the whole team is almost constantly in a worry - if situation becomes tough, we can't calmly think "Oh, okay - that goal sucked, but okay, we can still do it". Player like him always keep our other players in tension and gives opposite players hope. Neither of things were never true of Jan and Toby pairing. CB partnership should be a rock or an anchor for the squad. Not source of constant worry.

Btw, can you name, what are his strengths as CB? Just an honest question. Cause I cannot think of any.
Well, he is fast, but at the same time his absolute lack of game reading and composure means that much slower player with better reading of the game is still better than him.

Just lacks most of the important traits of a good CB.

And what worries me the most - he has had absolutely 0 improvement since arriving. He has been here for 3 years (!!) and made 124 apprearences for us. But still no composure, no ability to read the game and sense upcoming threat, no real strength, not even comfortable in playing high balls / clearing crosses.

I could forgive him lack of passing game. This is something we can mitigate with CB partner or even give instructions to a CM player dropping deep to collect the ball from him. But we can't carry CB who is bad or medicore in defending.

I'm more worried as to why none of our players know how to defend a set piece.

Not entirely bothered by our defending as a whole. It's no where near as bad as people make out. We rarely let teams trouble our goal as it is. Didn't really remember any saves Lloris had to make against Man Utd and didn't really remember any saves Lloris had to make today before the 80th minute.

Are Sanchez, Tanganga, Alderweireld, Dier and Rodon a good enough centre back cover to compete in the Premier League? I'd say so. Especially if Morgan, Huth, Wasilewski and Benaloune were.

Shots on goal this season in EPL against us -

Everton - 15
Southampton - 14
Newcastle - 6
ManU - 5
Wet Spam - 13

What in the world are you talking about?!?
THREE out of our FIVE games we have given just an absurd amount of shots away. It takes some extra class mental gymnastics to claim that "our defending as a whole is not bad". It is. Just look at those numbers once more. There is almost no room to even argue over this topic.

And I still think that at least with our current CB roaster we would need a dedicated DEFENSIVE midfielder in front of them. PEH is okay and most likely still improving. But he is no defensive powerhouse. We could quite well play Ndombele/Lo Celso as 1 ; DM as 1; box to box like Hjojberg/Winks/Sissoko as 1 out of CM trio.

Right now defending is not just troublesome but a massive issue. And you can't win titles without strong defense.

In last chance saloon now surely this season?

Bucks his ideas up and stops making stupid fucking mistakes or he's gone simple we could still get a decent wedge for him atm.

For me Rodon needs to be given a chance soon I said in his thread he's good enough to be replacing some of Dier and Sanchez and I stand by that.

Back
Top Bottom