Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the person saying that if Toby puts in that performance he doesn't get criticised as much is absolutely correct BUT Sanchez has been doing it time and time again and IMO has regressed a lot this season. I've picked out a few instances from the game where his positioning and decision making was really poor to show this.

GOAL

ngY08bk.png

This is the goal, not entirely his fault but if Toby is in this position he would shuffle across to the area highlighted to close off the run earlier and allow one of Winks/Hojbjerg to drop in. Alternatively Dier could come across then Son drops in for the spare man on the far side. Failing to do this allows him to be in the situation to get beaten in a 1v1.

OTHER EXAMPLE 1

HOhgsms.png

In this passage of play he shows one of his worst habits, pushing up in sitatutions where he doesn't need to and allowing space in behind. Here he can either properly push up on Loftus-Cheek and win the ball, or stay put alongside Dier and let one of the midfielders handle it. He does neither, and gets caught in no mans land.

40HId8F.png

That lapse in judgement allows this situation to develop, where Cavaleiro has acres of space to make a run into once Lookman gets the ball.

V0eMJ5X.png

Luckily for him here the ball wasn't quite up to scratch and he was able to use his pace to shut him off, but you can see with a better pass how this situation would have forced a goal.

OTHER EXAMPLE 2

3bYn61T.png

This is from a goal kick, again here he pushes up and loses out. For a player of his height and physicality, he really is horrendous in the air and ideally we should have Dier going up for this or one of the midfielders (at least then if Sissoko for example loses the aerial duel we aren't exposed at the back).

AFcZuwb.png

On his way back into position here he is sidetracked by another little duel, again he should probably sit off and let one of the midfielders close him down but instead he goes into a duel he is never going to win and leaves Dier to come across - this leaves a huge gap between Dier and Reguilon so that Reid could have easily have pushed up and been in on goal.

pW0YDT2.png

Luckily for this one Cavaleiro strayed offside but look how diabolical Sanchez's positioning is here as a result of his previous error. He leaves Dier out to dry and allows the runner in behind. Along with that he just ball watches and lets Lookman over his shoulder too.
This has reminded me that Sanchez is shit

If we even get half of the money we spent on him , I'd see it as successful
Has all the natural assets to be good but for some reason he's awful

Just wondering does anyone really know what we paid for him? If memory serves the initial was 26M but the total was 42M including incentives. I find it hard to believe any incentives were reached because he has taken a starting place and we haven't won anything. I'd imagine one of them was reaching CL but can't imagine an additional 16M was bet on that.

Just wondering does anyone really know what we paid for him? If memory serves the initial was 26M but the total was 42M including incentives. I find it hard to believe any incentives were reached because he has taken a starting place and we haven't won anything. I'd imagine one of them was reaching CL but can't imagine an additional 16M was bet on that.

28m upfront.

14m in bonuses. Not really sure we'll ever truly know the extent of the bonuses though.

We play this way deliberately!!! The dinosaur doesn't want the ball, he wants the other team to have it, this is his entire philosophy! (In his eyes, the team with the ball is the team that's going to make the most mistakes. Ergo he sees the team without the ball making the fewest).
yes it is. but the players we have arent much use with the ball no mater what the tactics are.

I mean, it’s there in the Amazon documentary. Over and over again. I don’t know what else to say.

Some of our players simply do not have the ability and we will continue to suffer the same issues until we bring in the necessary additions.

Yes, we want to play expansive and aesthetically pleasing football with results to match, and this season there has been evidence that we are getting closer to that. However, we are being undone by elementary mistakes. Game after game.

The right thing to do is to ask other members of the team to babysit and watch over the mistake prone players. If you have played you would know how that can affect attack.
spot on. the weak links we have just drain the entire team over the course of a game. too many donkeys and not enough midfielders who have guile on the ball. our only two midfield playmakers share games at best if they are both available ffs.

On each of these you seem to me highlighting him but not looking at the second and third players involved?

Im guessing you have done some form of coaching / analysis to take the time to do all this?

Other example 1 - what are the midfield 3 doing?
He has to go to that player to slow him down. That’s what any coach would say in that situation.

My guess would be if you went back 2-3 seconds you would see the Fulham player closest to the bottom of screen closer to sissoko. Who has switched off totally. (He does this is a lot). Kane is now playing AM. He’s in no mans land. Pass has taken him out of the equation. Sanchez has to go to that player. 100%
I work in football down here in aus so like doing this sort of analysis stuff as it is good practice, the two midfielders are out of position here you’re right. But if Sanchez holds off a little bit rather than going in half arsed then Hojbjerg is good enough that he can rush in and close him down from there. Sissoko does have a big tendency to switch off, and that’s a big reason why I don’t think he’s good enough to be starting.

Yeah,

Was awful for the first half, the header that Hart saved was on him as well.
Some dodgy moments 2nd half but he did improve.
I don't think 2nd half is anything to do with his individual improvement. More of as a team with PEH marshal the midfield, we were able to control the game much better, and pinned them back.

As a center half, the way he keeps getting beaten by attackers of any kind of level is just unacceptable. Even the easy games become a chore with all these mistakes.

hes half man half donkey. whats hes doing going for it with his right and not his left? hes an absolute calamity at the back. hope we dont see him again. how people that work in football can think hes worth 40m blows my mind

Back
Top Bottom