Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really don’t get how every goal is someone’s fault.
Their winger crossed a perfect ball and Benteke really nailed his header, for me it was a really nice goal and a lot tougher opportunity than the Son header. Sometimes it’s just a good goal, no?
Sometimes yes. But here Dav wasn't marking anyone. On a cross. A CB is messing up if there's a cross and they're not marking someone.

Sometimes yes. But here Dav wasn't marking anyone. On a cross. A CB is messing up if there's a cross and they're not marking someone.
Dav was covering the near post zone, pretty standard when you are about to defend a cross and do zonal marking in these situations.
Toby was picking up a runner (either Hojberg or Winks man) from midfield otherwise he would have followed Benteke sooner.

Dav was covering the near post zone, pretty standard when you are about to defend a cross and do zonal marking in these situations.
Toby was picking up a runner (either Hojberg or Winks man) from midfield otherwise he would have followed Benteke sooner.
Just about to post similar.
It's always the way that the first CB covers the near post to attempt cut out the cross.
2nd CB moves centrally to cover the middle
The far FB cuts in to cover the far post.

All meaning you should have a minimum of 3 defenders covering the width of the goal.

In Toby's defence, he was slightly blocked by the other attacker and it all happened very quickly, the ball going out wide and the cross coming in.
It was a great cross and a great header.

4 seasons with us. A good first one mainly in a back 3/5. Been OK at best since then, poor a lot of the time.

I don't know how much more time we can give him? The things that he's really bad at, can you coach out of him? Terrible passing out of defence; poor ball control. I have to say that when it's Hugo and Dav passing to each other I start to feel very ill indeed. Our 2 worst footballers playing around with it in the danger zone. Urgh!!!!

I don't see that Benteke's goal was Sanchez fault btw.

I'd say same what I said about Winks in terms of this game - no one on the field yesterday should be thrown shit at. Not a fan of Sanchez and doubt I'll ever be, but I think he was alright.

3 games, 1 goal conceded. Right now I'd be okay if we would continue with Toby-Sanchez pairing as 1st choice + Reggie and Aurier as fullbacks.

Sanchez has been good the last few weeks, while being lucky on a few occasions. Hopefully he can continue to clean up his game over the next few because he's been dominant in patches, you feel having a settled partner in Toby helps him. If we can get a decent level of CB play it could be a great end to the season.

My opinion on Sanchez is he does well against the lower teams but up against good teams he really gets found it. Some of his defending is comical, there was even a moment last night which was offside, but the way he tried to win the ball back was hilarious.

Just about to post similar.
It's always the way that the first CB covers the near post to attempt cut out the cross.
2nd CB moves centrally to cover the middle
The far FB cuts in to cover the far post.

All meaning you should have a minimum of 3 defenders covering the width of the goal.

In Toby's defence, he was slightly blocked by the other attacker and it all happened very quickly, the ball going out wide and the cross coming in.
It was a great cross and a great header.
This was not a set piece routine. It was a basic cross and a simple unmarked header

Sanchez had no business leaving Benteke that much space. There is no near post runner that he is covering. His job was to stay in touch (body on body) and in front of benteke, to contest the ball when it is played.

He blew it by marking nobody and moving to a position where the ball would be too high for him to reach.

There are many arguments for playing 3 at the back, this was not one of them.

Good performance from him

I don't think we can underestimate how important confidence can be for some players. He isn't mistake free at all, but he looks like a different player the last couple of games. He still makes me nervous with crosses into his general area, but he looks so much more confident.

Back
Top Bottom