Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well that doesn't sound anything like the Davinson I know.

Tottenham defender Davinson Sanchez has been mauled by former Colombia boss Jorge Luis Pinto after his disappointing displays during the international break.
The Spurs centre-back has been facing intense criticism over the last week or so, first and foremost because of his decision to travel to play for Colombia despite Coronavirus issues.
He then found himself facing criticism for his performances on the pitch, with poor displays in the draws with Paraguay and Bolivia seeing the knives come out.
The sternest of those saw him labelled both ‘clumsy and incompetent’ by his nation’s media, which should indicate the extent to which they were unimpressed by the Tottenham man.
Indeed, such has been the level of criticism that his teammate David Ospina even recently jumped to his defence in a bid to stem the tide.
That’s seemingly not had the desired effect, though, with former coach Pinto now sharing his less than stellar opinion of the Tottenham centre-back.

“Four years ago, I told my son, who loves football, that Davinson is not a centre-back for the Colombia national team,” he told ESPN F90, relayed by Marca.

“With all the respect that Davinson deserves, he is a healthy, correct, hardworking man and everything, but he doesn’t have the talent, the playing time, all those details that a centre-back needs.

“The time of play, the handling of game intent, the handling of backs, the defensive breakdowns, the shock impact that sometimes you can’t be so aggressive.

“Davinson is an extraordinary human being, as the lads have told me, but he lacks that slow, balanced handling of the play, knowing how to correspond to the line of 4.

“I have said that the line of 4 is a collective system, it is not an individual action, it is a system of 4 and with the midfielders of 6 or 8 players, and Davinson lacks that combination, that collective understanding.”

Tottenham defender Davinson Sanchez has been mauled by former Colombia boss Jorge Luis Pinto after his disappointing displays during the international break.
The Spurs centre-back has been facing intense criticism over the last week or so, first and foremost because of his decision to travel to play for Colombia despite Coronavirus issues.
He then found himself facing criticism for his performances on the pitch, with poor displays in the draws with Paraguay and Bolivia seeing the knives come out.
The sternest of those saw him labelled both ‘clumsy and incompetent’ by his nation’s media, which should indicate the extent to which they were unimpressed by the Tottenham man.
Indeed, such has been the level of criticism that his teammate David Ospina even recently jumped to his defence in a bid to stem the tide.
That’s seemingly not had the desired effect, though, with former coach Pinto now sharing his less than stellar opinion of the Tottenham centre-back.

“Four years ago, I told my son, who loves football, that Davinson is not a centre-back for the Colombia national team,” he told ESPN F90, relayed by Marca.

“With all the respect that Davinson deserves, he is a healthy, correct, hardworking man and everything, but he doesn’t have the talent, the playing time, all those details that a centre-back needs.

“The time of play, the handling of game intent, the handling of backs, the defensive breakdowns, the shock impact that sometimes you can’t be so aggressive.

“Davinson is an extraordinary human being, as the lads have told me, but he lacks that slow, balanced handling of the play, knowing how to correspond to the line of 4.

“I have said that the line of 4 is a collective system, it is not an individual action, it is a system of 4 and with the midfielders of 6 or 8 players, and Davinson lacks that combination, that collective understanding.”
Never thought much of him although he has played well this season. However hopefully this will mean he will not get picked in future.

Never thought much of him although he has played well this season. However hopefully this will mean he will not get picked in future.
i assume you mean picked for us? three clean sheets should demand he's picked... unfortunately with Diers injury (i assume hes out for a while?) that puts the cat amongst the pigeons if Dier wasn't injured id stay with the incumbents and Romero and co would have to force their way in through exceptional ECL performances....

i assume you mean picked for us? three clean sheets should demand he's picked... unfortunately with Diers injury (i assume hes out for a while?) that puts the cat amongst the pigeons if Dier wasn't injured id stay with the incumbents and Romero and co would have to force their way in through exceptional ECL performances....
Sorry, poorly written post. I meant after the criticism that he would not be picked for International duty.

This judgment from a fellow Columbian just about sums up Davinson. He does not have a football brain.
Hang on, i was told he came back from the Copa America a new player after his assured displays in that tournament?

You mean he's not the new Passarella after all? (One for the oldies). Damn.

Hmm .He is sadly quite low on the long list of problems we need to fix. So strange that folk would choose to bump this. Lets start with a viable replacement for Eriksen lack of a goal scoring forward option beyond Kane/Son the weakness of our right back position. The constant inclusion of two hybrid number sixes, the constant repurposing of Dele Alli. The baffling continued presence of Harry winks. The questionable commitment of Harry Kane. General recruitment and the employment a coach who does not seem to share the fans footballing identity

Sorry, but Sanchez has not played all that well this season. He does some good things, but he's still making the same two big mistakes he's always made. He's still attempting tackles one-on-one 50-60 yards from goal, and getting skinned, when he should be holding up the play and staying in defensive position. His positioning has also been suspect on quite a few occasions as well, as it was just 40ish seconds into the Watford match, when he was well outside of Tanganga when there was no one out there there to mark, and Watford got a good shot off because Sanchez was nowhere. Just because the team has three clean sheets doesn't mean he's played well; the opponents were very wasteful in all three matchups. I believe, and always have, that he has talent, but his mindset has not been right, and he's a mistake waiting to happen. These issues can be fixed, but for whatever reason, he either doesn't seem to want to improve, and/or the coaching staffs (under Poch, Mourinho and Nuno) have not worked enough with him to help him cut out these mistakes.

thought he looked alright last night. him and romero maybe could be something half decent after a bit of time.

you just dont want him with the ball at his feet and time because he gets in a muddle and fucks up like a right donkey, someone needs to come and take the ball off him as easily as possible and then hes not too bad

Back
Top Bottom