Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think whether he stays or not will depend on him and his willingness to be ‘first reserve’ for two centre back positions, as well as whether Rodon stays or goes. Tanganga being HG means he’s going nowhere, and he can only really do RCB, the current main 3 are all staying I’d imagine. So Sanchez or Rodon needs to go to make space for an LCB (I really can’t imagine we’re not after one). The fact that Sanchez would a) raise more money and b) is less likely to accept not being first choice I think will put him there in firing line.

Shame as I think he’s been mostly good this season and stepped up admirably these past two fixtures.

Actually came here to say the same.
He was out of the squad for quite a while. And when he was called upon, he came and fitted right in.

Of course as expected - his passing game and decisions are not quite as crafty as Romero's. But overall he has had good games.
And we have kept 2 clean sheets.
But to look further from just recent performances- I think Sanchez deserves quite significant respect for this season.
I checked the stats, and he has been in the squad (field or substitutions) for 49 games this season. So he has been pretty much ever-present. From these 49 times he has started roughly half (24 games),
in further 7 he is brought on as sub and remining 18 games he has stayed on the bench. Overall he has played 2272 minutes which is equal to 25 full games.

I still think that he has some significant issues and sometimes I am quite terrified with him having to follow instructions and stay disciplined. Also there has been issue of clearing crosses / heading the ball, but it has been lot less visible lately. So I do not try to say like he wouldn't have his faults. But I am saying that he has been reliable and it would not be nearly the worst thing if we keep him (sell Rodon + CCV and bring in another good CB to have 5 main CBs to pick from + Tanganga as backup).
I'm so glad I hadn't realised before the NLD that his last start for us was home to Wolves!!
I think would've sent my already frail nerves into freefall!

Luckily, I totally forgot to check, so opted to trust him (and Conte's decision)... without letting stats get in the way of a feelgood story!

I think whether he stays or not will depend on him and his willingness to be ‘first reserve’ for two centre back positions, as well as whether Rodon stays or goes. Tanganga being HG means he’s going nowhere, and he can only really do RCB, the current main 3 are all staying I’d imagine. So Sanchez or Rodon needs to go to make space for an LCB (I really can’t imagine we’re not after one). The fact that Sanchez would a) raise more money and b) is less likely to accept not being first choice I think will put him there in firing line.

Shame as I think he’s been mostly good this season and stepped up admirably these past two fixtures.

Rodon would be mad to not want the hell outta his Tottenham nightmare....

On the other hand I'm sure Dav would expect to get games next season with a full calendar.... He's played a fair amount this year and that was even with our early ECL exit.

On the other hand I'm sure Dav would expect to get games next season with a full calendar.... He's played a fair amount this year and that was even with our early ECL exit.
I don’t disagree, but he’s good enough to be first choice at pretty much any of the next tier of club. He might want you be first choice every week.

He has not had a bad season at all imo. Few bad games yes but on the whole at the start when romero wasn't ready at the start of the season he's been good. Been very good the last couple of games playing passes through the opposition midfield up to the forward players. I personally trust him more than Dier.

He'll play less if we make another top CB signing, which the rumours suggest we will.

I think he goes because we need better ball-playing centre backs and he is the one that can command the biggest transfer fee.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dav and Rodon go and we make two CB signings. A top one in the 40-50m range and more of a young prospect for 25m.

Assuming 40m for the pair of them that's a net of 35m to sort out our back 3.

He'll play less if we make another top CB signing, which the rumours suggest we will.

I think he goes because we need better ball-playing centre backs and he is the one that can command the biggest transfer fee.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dav and Rodon go and we make two CB signings. A top one in the 40-50m range and more of a young prospect for 25m.

Assuming 40m for the pair of them that's a net of 35m to sort out our back 3.
My ideal scenario is that both him and Sanchez goes. Rodon for about 10m, which is what we paid for him. 30m for Sanchez.

Then we get Bastoni for 60m, and Kim Min Jae for 15m for a net spend of 35m.

I want Sanchez out cos we've had him for a LONG time, and he's never gonna be a star, so it's about time we tried it with a different player and see what they can do. KMJ is physically dominant, let's see if he's any good on the ball.

When he was "thrown" into the Woolwich game because of Romero's injury there was a certain level of concern among most, if not all, Spurs fans but he really deserves credit for helping Spurs to keep 3 clean sheets and win their 3 last games.
He's been solid and I would be happy to keep him as an understudy for next season but I won't mind him being sold either for around £30m+. His stocks certainly have gone up over the last 3 games.

When he was "thrown" into the Woolwich game because of Romero's injury there was a certain level of concern among most, if not all, Spurs fans but he really deserves credit for helping Spurs to keep 3 clean sheets and win their 3 last games.
He's been solid and I would be happy to keep him as an understudy for next season but I won't mind him being sold either for around £30m+. His stocks certainly have gone up over the last 3 games.
He hasn't let us down.
I'd still sell him, though.

Have to give him credit for turning his Spurs career around.

If he leaves in the summer he can do it with his head held high, which wouldn't have been the case in previous windows.

I must admit I still never feel completely at ease when he's in there so I will not be too upset if he's moved on. Plus he can command a good fee now.

Him and Rodon out and two upgrades in we are cooking.

Have to give him credit for turning his Spurs career around.

If he leaves in the summer he can do it with his head held high, which wouldn't have been the case in previous windows.

I must admit I still never feel completely at ease when he's in there so I will not be too upset if he's moved on. Plus he can command a good fee now.

Him and Rodon out and two upgrades in we are cooking.
Agree 100%. Now is the best time to sell him. He'll never command a higher fee.

That money should go towards Bastoni, and another Rodon type, but this time not useless. Davies can return to a backup LCB/LWB, so in case of injuries to Romero Bastoni or Dier can shift right.

Remember when this guy used to make those monster mistakes that cost us games.

We should still sell, but thanks, Dave, for taking on-board Conte's instructions and coming through when we really needed you.

👍

Remember when this guy used to make those monster mistakes that cost us games.

We should still sell, but thanks, Dave, for taking on-board Conte's instructions and coming through when we really needed you.

👍
been a lot less of a liability recently. hes had easier options when hes on the ball recently which is obviously down to the manager. he struggled badly when he was required to actually provide a bit of on the ball quality. if he does stay and can keep this sort of form, hell be decent backup.

Would gladly keep Sanchez around, always thought he's been a little underrated by Spurs fans. Crazy that he's still only 25 too and up to 180 appearances at club, quite young for a defender. That's the age we signed Vertonghen and Toby at. He could still get a lot better.

He was amazing his first season as a 21 year old playing 31 league games when Toby was out. There's been times when his level has dropped, but it was mostly in line with the team's quality/defense dropping.

If he sticks around and plays behind Romero, I think that would be a massive result for us. Assuming we sign a LCB, there are very few teams in Europe that have back up CBs at the level of this year's Sanchez and Davies.

I know the popular narrative will be that he's had a few good games this last few games and was otherwise shit, but he put in some damn good'ns when Rom was out last time too.... Seems to 'get' Conte-ball and I think Conte gets him too.

Best season since his first.

Good lad.

Last edited:
been a lot less of a liability recently. hes had easier options when hes on the ball recently which is obviously down to the manager. he struggled badly when he was required to actually provide a bit of on the ball quality. if he does stay and can keep this sort of form, hell be decent backup.
Nah.

We sell whilst there's a positive aura around him and value still healthy.

Agree 100%. Now is the best time to sell him. He'll never command a higher fee.

That money should go towards Bastoni, and another Rodon type, but this time not useless. Davies can return to a backup LCB/LWB, so in case of injuries to Romero Bastoni or Dier can shift right.
Ideally we get two in because in the scenario we just swap Bastoni for Sanchez we are down to no backup options again if any of the four go down.

I don't see Rodon or Tanganga as viable, the drop off in quality is too big.

Imo we will definitely shift Rodon and we will sell Sanchez if we secure our big CB target (Bastoni, Pau Torres etc.)

I think we then get another CB a level below that, either a young prospect or cheap veteran (maybe De Vrij) to replace Rodon. Ideally:

Romero - Dier - Bastoni
(Tanganga) - (De Vrij) - (Davies)
I think for a back 3 you need 5 options you trust - right now we only have 4.

Ideally we get two in because in the scenario we just swap Bastoni for Sanchez we are down to no backup options again if any of the four go down.

I don't see Rodon or Tanganga as viable, the drop off in quality is too big.

Imo we will definitely shift Rodon and we will sell Sanchez if we secure our big CB target (Bastoni, Pau Torres etc.)

I think we then get another CB a level below that, either a young prospect or cheap veteran (maybe De Vrij) to replace Rodon. Ideally:

Romero - Dier - Bastoni
(Tanganga) - (De Vrij) - (Davies)
I think for a back 3 you need 5 options you trust - right now we only have 4.
Fair enough, I forgot about Rodon and Tanganga. Rodon out means we need another backup, and De Vrij would probably be available for 15/20m or so. I'm not sure we will be able to afford any more than that.

We'll need the rest of the money for the WBs etc.

Back
Top Bottom