Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just reading the Aurier thread and I’m hoping that Dav follows Serge in turning things around. He certainly has the physical attributes to be a top defender and if he can work on his positioning and distribution, he will be just fine. He’s got a fantastic manager to work with on these things, problem being that because games are coming thick and fast right now, they probably don’t have time to train much on this kind of thing.

More than happy to give him another year to see how he develops. I’m sure he can become a very good player and very important for us.

Just reading the Aurier thread and I’m hoping that Dav follows Serge in turning things around. He certainly has the physical attributes to be a top defender and if he can work on his positioning and distribution, he will be just fine. He’s got a fantastic manager to work with on these things, problem being that because games are coming thick and fast right now, they probably don’t have time to train much on this kind of thing.

More than happy to give him another year to see how he develops. I’m sure he can become a very good player and very important for us.
I don’t know if he could cut out the brain farts.

But if I were Sanchez, I’d be at the training ground every day practicing distribution, that part of his game he could definitely improve through hard work.

I don’t know if he could cut out the brain farts.

But if I were Sanchez, I’d be at the training ground every day practicing distribution, that part of his game he could definitely improve through hard work.
I can only hope he’s spending extra time each day working on his passing accuracy. If he is, he’ll see the benefit. If not, he’s a lazy fuck and his days are numbered.

I can only hope he’s spending extra time each day working on his passing accuracy. If he is, he’ll see the benefit. If not, he’s a lazy fuck and his days are numbered.
Considering that it hasn’t improved, I can only assume that he’s not practicing enough...

The problem with Sanchez is that he knows his distribution is not good. Because he has no confidence in his passing, he always opts to pass it back to the keeper or the other CB. And that’s a kind of downward spiral because you can only get worse if you keep shunning your responsibility.

Considering that it hasn’t improved, I can only assume that he’s not practicing enough...

The problem with Sanchez is that he knows his distribution is not good. Because he has no confidence in his passing, he always opts to pass it back to the keeper or the other CB. And that’s a kind of downward spiral because you can only get worse if you keep shunning your responsibility.
It's not simply just his distribution.

Mourinho had Smalling at Man U whom arguably has even less passing range. Smalling is very good when it comes to low block, defending in the box. Quite dominant in the air, and strong man marking ability. Mourinho still used Smalling a lot, despite boldly coming out public about the flaw in his game.

So Sanchez after recent horrors of performance had been banished from PL games, and even in Europa League games, he doesn't even look impressive. So all in all, Sanchez is just not a good out defender, and way out of depth. Distribution ability for a center half is a bonus but shouldn't save one career. We and likely Mourinho had seen enough. He needs to improve more than just distribution to fight his way back, since we have two other young CBs who need game time to prove themselves.

THe thing is, even at his worst Aurier could still bring down a cross field ball, get past his marker with some nice dribbling, and sometimes deliver crosses - even if they were hit and miss.

The issue was rashness and lack of focus. He could be taught the tactical lessons he needed.

With Sanchez, pace is pretty much ALL he has. He is decently well built, but I don't consider him a strong defender, I don't know his issue is but he just keeps scuffing headers and clearances with his feet. Obviously he can't dribble or make a line breaking pass. He doesn't have good positional sense, or alterness to danger in a crowded box the way Dier and Toby do. He can't score in the opposition box from set pieces either.

What do you do with a CB with so many shortcomings and no signs of improvement over the years? How long before you cut them loose? Is there not such a thing as an unsalvagable player?

Thought he was excellent against Aunt-Twerk. Me thinks his game, style, abilities are much more suited to a possession/attack match strategy, than a defend and counter mentality

Thought he was excellent against Aunt-Twerk. Me thinks his game, style, abilities are much more suited to a possession/attack match strategy, than a defend and counter mentality
Are you actually blind?

Shame he hasn't developed into our number one centre back.

Needs someone alongside him like Vertonghen when he was at his best.

Not sure he will find a way back into the starting line-up 0n a regular basis and if he does not have the manager's confidence it makes it nigh on impossible.

He's done here, when a player cannot even make a 9-man bench for a league game, it's over. He's fallen behind a youngster who has only played one game for Tottenham. He's had enough time to develop and he still can't clear the ball properly. If Rodon had been eligible for Europa and Carabao matches Davinson would not have played again after his West Ham horror show.

The only question is whether we can move him on in January.

I'm here to offer a bit of a fist bump and some respect for Sanchez after todays draw at Wolves.

He didn't have Traoré to deal with, fair enough, but Traoré was the reason we alternated between 3, 4, and 5 at the back left as far as I could tell. "Today, we are all left backs."

Even in a back 3, I felt Sanchez looked energized and comfortable. I wasn't worried about him at all managing the right side of central defense.

can only be used in a back 3. still just not good enough due to his sheer incompetence with a football at his feet. he only works in a back 3 as hes got more options of support than when hes in a back 4. far from ideal to have players in a professional football team who are no good with an actual football at their feet....and he aint the only one we got with that problem
Morning Show GIF by Apple TV

He was good tonight even when we were playing the 4-3-3

Yes, that's true. Even when we went to 4 I did not mean to imply Sanchez was only good in a 3.

He was just plain good. When the camera was on him you could see his eyes. Judge a defender by their eyes when the camera is on them: if you see their eyes are scanning the pitch like a crackhead rummaging through a bin while looking at the opponent's next dead ball, you know they're in the game.

Yes, that's true. Even when we went to 4 I did not mean to imply Sanchez was only good in a 3.

He was just plain good. When the camera was on him you could see his eyes. Judge a defender by their eyes when the camera is on them: if you see their eyes are scanning the pitch like a crackhead rummaging through a bin while looking at the opponent's next dead ball, you know they're in the game.
:deledoubt:

He literally can not head the ball

Sell him asap, cost 42m and he's the worst defender we have.

No matter what he does, he'll have a sub set of fans defending him to the hilt because he cost 42m and came from Ajax....

He can't defend, can't pass, shit on the ball, shit off the ball, shit on the ground, shit in the air. Panicky and creates chaos in our defence.

Get rid. PLEASE.

Back
Top Bottom