Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the person saying that if Toby puts in that performance he doesn't get criticised as much is absolutely correct BUT Sanchez has been doing it time and time again and IMO has regressed a lot this season. I've picked out a few instances from the game where his positioning and decision making was really poor to show this.

GOAL

ngY08bk.png

This is the goal, not entirely his fault but if Toby is in this position he would shuffle across to the area highlighted to close off the run earlier and allow one of Winks/Hojbjerg to drop in. Alternatively Dier could come across then Son drops in for the spare man on the far side. Failing to do this allows him to be in the situation to get beaten in a 1v1.

OTHER EXAMPLE 1

HOhgsms.png

In this passage of play he shows one of his worst habits, pushing up in sitatutions where he doesn't need to and allowing space in behind. Here he can either properly push up on Loftus-Cheek and win the ball, or stay put alongside Dier and let one of the midfielders handle it. He does neither, and gets caught in no mans land.

40HId8F.png

That lapse in judgement allows this situation to develop, where Cavaleiro has acres of space to make a run into once Lookman gets the ball.

V0eMJ5X.png

Luckily for him here the ball wasn't quite up to scratch and he was able to use his pace to shut him off, but you can see with a better pass how this situation would have forced a goal.

OTHER EXAMPLE 2

3bYn61T.png

This is from a goal kick, again here he pushes up and loses out. For a player of his height and physicality, he really is horrendous in the air and ideally we should have Dier going up for this or one of the midfielders (at least then if Sissoko for example loses the aerial duel we aren't exposed at the back).

AFcZuwb.png

On his way back into position here he is sidetracked by another little duel, again he should probably sit off and let one of the midfielders close him down but instead he goes into a duel he is never going to win and leaves Dier to come across - this leaves a huge gap between Dier and Reguilon so that Reid could have easily have pushed up and been in on goal.

K3rGy7U.png

Luckily for this one Cavaleiro strayed offside but look how diabolical Sanchez's positioning is here as a result of his previous error. He leaves Dier out to dry and allows the runner in behind. Along with that he just ball watches and lets Lookman over his shoulder too.
I appreciate the detail in your post and in many of your examples I think you may be right but for the goal I don't think he did a lot wrong. His position in your pic is inside and goalside which is where he should be.
He shepherded Lookman away from goal towards the corner flag where the danger was less and only a fantastic turn and wonderful cross allowed them to score. Lookman deserves a lot of credit, it was fantastic skill.

If Sanchez was where you marked him to be he'd be outside the player which is a complete no no - always inside and goalside if possible, showing the attacker away from goal. 1v1s can't always be avoided and despite Lookman's brilliance the cross could still have been dealt with by our defenders in the box.

It's brilliant attacking play to my mind more than a big error from Sanchez.

I appreciate the detail in your post and in many of your examples I think you may be right but for the goal I don't think he did a lot wrong. His position in your pic is inside and goalside which is where he should be.
He shepherded Lookman away from goal towards the corner flag where the danger was less and only a fantastic turn and wonderful cross allowed them to score. Lookman deserves a lot of credit, it was fantastic skill.

If Sanchez was where you marked him to be he'd be outside the player which is a complete no no - always inside and goalside if possible, showing the attacker away from goal. 1v1s can't always be avoided and despite Lookman's brilliance the cross could still have been dealt with by our defenders in the box.

It's brilliant attacking play to my mind more than a big error from Sanchez.
I agree for the most part, like I said I was pretty harsh on him for the goal and it isn't entirely his fault (I'm more annoyed with stuff like the other examples I showed). But if he goes into that area someone drops in for him or shuffles across so that negates the threat you're talking about. Again though there's a lot of other issues with that goal, Aurier should also be blocking that pass off and Sissoko should be coming across to close down.

Davinson sanchez plays because he is fast amd we can move the defensive line forward because of him and press better Eric and Toby play well together when we play deep against the big teams.

looking at it from a numbers perspective sanchez is Spurs all round best defender if you go to opta stats and compare those three he is clearly the best.

the reason why mourinho doesn’t like him is because instead of blocking the ball he tackles.
And from this he gives away way too many fouls from tackling compared to the other two. So potentially costing a penalty or a scorable freekick.

a big problem he has is that he has no left foot. The West Ham game is a clear example instead of clearing with his left foot he decides to head it away but messes up then own goal, he should have never been playing on the left side of central defence since then he hasn’t done. That game rocked his confidence.

if you give him a decent center half to play with he’ll be better. Potentially someone like skriniar or Eder militao
Best all round defender?
You don't have a clue what you are talking about he is fucking rubbish

Thought he was at fault for the goal....let Lookman easily run past him and put the cross in. Multiple times this season he's been at fault. I only really started paying close attention to him once I saw criticism of him here. And the criticism is merited. He's never been so bad. And, worryingly, he's getting worse.

Donkey Dav was all over the place for the last ten minutes. You can tell by his body language (headless chicken) that he isn't reliable.

£42m with a contract until 2024? Jesus.

He let the cross come in for the goal but it should still have been cleared. Dier was right there but he was asleep and let the guy score. Most of the goals we concede are unchallenged headers from 5 yards out and we concede that type of goal no matter who is playing. Toby is just as bad at letting people score from crosses.

I think the person saying that if Toby puts in that performance he doesn't get criticised as much is absolutely correct BUT Sanchez has been doing it time and time again and IMO has regressed a lot this season. I've picked out a few instances from the game where his positioning and decision making was really poor to show this.

GOAL

ngY08bk.png

This is the goal, not entirely his fault but if Toby is in this position he would shuffle across to the area highlighted to close off the run earlier and allow one of Winks/Hojbjerg to drop in. Alternatively Dier could come across then Son drops in for the spare man on the far side. Failing to do this allows him to be in the situation to get beaten in a 1v1.

OTHER EXAMPLE 1

HOhgsms.png

In this passage of play he shows one of his worst habits, pushing up in sitatutions where he doesn't need to and allowing space in behind. Here he can either properly push up on Loftus-Cheek and win the ball, or stay put alongside Dier and let one of the midfielders handle it. He does neither, and gets caught in no mans land.

40HId8F.png

That lapse in judgement allows this situation to develop, where Cavaleiro has acres of space to make a run into once Lookman gets the ball.

V0eMJ5X.png

Luckily for him here the ball wasn't quite up to scratch and he was able to use his pace to shut him off, but you can see with a better pass how this situation would have forced a goal.

OTHER EXAMPLE 2

3bYn61T.png

This is from a goal kick, again here he pushes up and loses out. For a player of his height and physicality, he really is horrendous in the air and ideally we should have Dier going up for this or one of the midfielders (at least then if Sissoko for example loses the aerial duel we aren't exposed at the back).

AFcZuwb.png

On his way back into position here he is sidetracked by another little duel, again he should probably sit off and let one of the midfielders close him down but instead he goes into a duel he is never going to win and leaves Dier to come across - this leaves a huge gap between Dier and Reguilon so that Reid could have easily have pushed up and been in on goal.

pW0YDT2.png

Luckily for this one Cavaleiro strayed offside but look how diabolical Sanchez's positioning is here as a result of his previous error. He leaves Dier out to dry and allows the runner in behind. Along with that he just ball watches and lets Lookman over his shoulder too.
Not good enough..
Sadly I don't trust any of our CB's anymore.

GOAL

ngY08bk.png

OTHER EXAMPLE 1

HOhgsms.png

OTHER EXAMPLE 2

3bYn61T.png

On each of these you seem to me highlighting him but not looking at the second and third players involved?

Im guessing you have done some form of coaching / analysis to take the time to do all this?

Other example 1 - what are the midfield 3 doing?
He has to go to that player to slow him down. That’s what any coach would say in that situation.

My guess would be if you went back 2-3 seconds you would see the Fulham player closest to the bottom of screen closer to sissoko. Who has switched off totally. (He does this is a lot). Kane is now playing AM. He’s in no mans land. Pass has taken him out of the equation. Sanchez has to go to that player. 100%

It's quite incredible that we have the 2nd best defence in the league, yet reading the thread on every one of our defenders it simply doesn't reflect their performances. You lot absolutely hate them all, you slate each and every one of them!!

Why don't you take a step back and think why you are doing this, what's causing you to lose your shit? Maybe the manager is playing you all, his blaming the players routine is infectious, your anger at dropping points needs to be targeted and Jose knows this, so before the fingers get pointed towards him, he makes sure he directs some of you to his chosen culprits. He's set you all up like prime suckers.

It's quite incredible that we have the 2nd best defence in the league, yet reading the thread on every one of our defenders it simply doesn't reflect their performances. You lot absolutely hate them all, you slate each and every one of them!!

Why don't you take a step back and think why you are doing this, what's causing you to lose your shit? Maybe the manager is playing you all, his blaming the players routine is infectious, your anger at dropping points needs to be targeted and Jose knows this, so before the fingers get pointed towards him, he makes sure he directs some of you to his chosen culprits. He's set you all up like prime suckers.
Here he goes again.
Sanchez is shocking but blame the manager.
We have 1 decent centre back at the club and that is Toby who is sadly past his best.
Toby can't be expected to play 3 games a week for the next 4 months and with his replacements being the calibre of Sanchez we are fucked.
But Dickhead here still blames the manager.

Here he goes again.
Sanchez is shocking but blame the manager.
We have 1 decent centre back at the club and that is Toby who is sadly past his best.
Toby can't be expected to play 3 games a week for the next 4 months and with his replacements being the calibre of Sanchez we are fucked.
But Dickhead here still blames the manager.
The personal abuse still spills from your keyboard.

Even Mourinho publically stated the defenders aren't good enough individually after the game

Only reason we have a good defence is due to our shape, let's be honest. We have PEH/Sissoko babysitting these guys all game and concede few chances.

Sanchez is honestly the worst CB we've had for ages. I even prefer Chiriches to him.

Total headless chicken

Mourinho hasnt JUST realised our defenders' abilities individually though. He's been around them for over 12 months now.

So why does he continue to put pressure on them to see out games at 1-0 when it's a fact that the more pressure a defence is under, the more mistakes will be made.

Sanchez is clumsy more than useless, but yesterdays draw ( remember we didnt lose guys) was down to Jose as far as I'm concerned, Sissoko in the front 3.... hells bells, you have more chance of Neil Shipperly winning slimmer of the month that Sissoko scoring a hattrick :mourweird:

Mourinho hasnt JUST realised our defenders' abilities individually though. He's been around them for over 12 months now.

So why does he continue to put pressure on them to see out games at 1-0 when it's a fact that the more pressure a defence is under, the more mistakes will be made.
Mourinho's reaction to the weakness of our defence was to hand out two massive contracts to two of them. £14million per year on Toby and Eric

Even Mourinho publically stated the defenders aren't good enough individually after the game

Only reason we have a good defence is due to our shape, let's be honest. We have PEH/Sissoko babysitting these guys all game and concede few chances.

Sanchez is honestly the worst CB we've had for ages. I even prefer Chiriches to him.

Total headless chicken
I genuinely wonder if this kid has some kind of eye/vision issue. How does a footballer keep scuffing his headers and clearances?

I think he's only ever scored one headed goal for us, and it's not for a lack of opportunites. I remember Dier (before he got fat) used to be quite dangerous on set pieces.

Mourinho's reaction to the weakness of our defence was to hand out two massive contracts to two of them. £14million per year on Toby and Eric

He's just deflecting now. It's what Mourinho does.

He tried to sign Dier at Man Utd. He got 31 year old Alderweireld to sign a brand new deal. He signed new right and left backs in the summer. Has the second best defensive record in the league.

Yet is only NOW moaning about individuals in the defence.

Its like his comments before where he was saying how he doesn't tell the players to NOT attack when we go 1-0 up etc.

Yet nothings changed. Either players are not following his orders yet not getting punished for it. Or he's bullshitting and they're following his exact instructions and falling short because of them, which he won't admit.

Back
Top Bottom