DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn't class following the premier league as an activity requiring commitment. If anything it's a convenient excuse to drink at breakfast time.

P.S. The NFL sucks cock, and Hawaii and Alaska aren't really 'Murca

There's no denying that Yedlin is a tremendous athlete, but is he a footballer or just a good athlete playing with lesser athletes? I'm OK buying him on the cheap and loaning him and see how he develops. But putting him into our squad in January is ridiculous IMO.

On topic, I've said my piece in the transfer thread. I don't necessarily dislike the buy for Spurs, but I hate it for Yedlin. Kid needs a better situation than what he'll have at Spurs.

We can't say that just yet. We have no idea what the Spurs plan for him is.

Yedlin is obviously better than Fredericks and has a lot more game time under his belt (at a slightly younger age?) if we are spending a few million on him I assume he goes straight into Walkers back up and the rumours on Naughton to Swansea will hopefully materialise. We play enough games for him to see playing time, especially with the likelihood of walker picking up injuries and he seems a good fit to directly slot in and play a similar game to Walker, if we were to sell Naughton I think this deal would make a lot of sense, as Poch is renowned for trusting young players, especially fullbacks.

At the mooted price it's hard to see a downside to this deal. Snap him up and loan him out to a Burnley or Leicester City (I have absolutely no knowlege of their squad or how they play though); it'll be a baptism by fire.

Maybe our options for backup don't inspire worlds of confidence in Pooch? I've said all along that Walker was playing too many games, and caught some flak for it. It's not necessary to play him in every Europa League and Cup tie; he's needed a decent rotation option, and now I think the club experienced a bit of a scare when he went out with an injury at the end of last season.

edit: Hell, the way talent is priced in England we could go back in for Alan Hutton and he might cost us more than what's being advertised for Yedlin.

We can't say that just yet. We have no idea what the Spurs plan for him is.
It's not about what Spurs plan is for him. He's a LWB with the potential to develop into a LW. He's certainly not going to get ahead of 24 year old England international Kyle Walker in the squad, and he's got no hope of transitioning to LW and beating out club record signing Lamela and the rest of the players we have in that area.

Spurs aren't going to buy him and let him rot, but if they bought him its a very minor investment in a squad player used for cover and cup matches deemed inconsequential. If he succeeds, they're overjoyed and ship him off for a profit. If he has a rough patch he's deemed a failure and sold off to whatever shit team will have him to get him off the books. Chadli is a good example, young international with potential bought for a cheap price, struggled last season and now he's connected as a makeweight in just about every rumoured transfer we have in the works, with no concern for the good of his career. And he plays a position for which the club have no long term solution at the moment, Yedlin's leash would be considerably shorter.

His confidence is so vital to his game, as is any wingback's really, and it's dangerous to go to any club that isn't really invested in your personal success at this point in his development. So many young footballers have had their careers damaged by making a jump into a poor situation, he needs to go to a club that want to groom him for a place in the first XI and not just try to flip him for a profit.

As has been pointed out cover at RB is hardly a priority for us. The only motivation would be marketing and potential profits.

I'll try to find highlights from last night's game but apart from Shaqiri and Lewandowsi, Yedlin was the only other player that every time he took the ball there was a general excitement that something good was going to happen.

Yea his pace is a given, but on the ball he can take on players and show flair and skill. Regardless of nationality this is a good buy if it happens.

Last night he showed defensive prowess as well, Bayern, with the exception of two or three runs in the first half, only took their attack to the left. That didn't stop Yedlin from getting involved in the defensive box as he provided support for the CBs and showed some tackling skill on Lewandowski as he slipped by the two cbs and was about to fire from the spot. Sure he is young and defenders build their mental game with time, but for his age his positioning is on par with other euro starters.

Good player? Check.
Good marketing? Check.
Tons of potential? Check.
Cheap? Check.

It's not about what Spurs plan is for him. He's a LWB with the potential to develop into a LW. He's certainly not going to get ahead of 24 year old England international Kyle Walker in the squad, and he's got no hope of transitioning to LW and beating out club record signing Lamela and the rest of the players we have in that area.
:avbcringe:

As has been pointed out cover at RB is hardly a priority for us. The only motivation would be marketing and potential profits.
It's not a priority until Walker gets injured, and then it is.

If this deal happens then I don't think we'll see Yedlin in the first team this season. Probably spend a few weeks in England training and getting checked out, then go back to Seattle for the season on loan, or to a newly promoted PL/ Championship side.

If he impresses then he could be a rotation option and push for a spot for the 15-16 season.

It's not a priority until Walker gets injured, and then it is.

If this deal happens then I don't think we'll see Yedlin in the first team this season. Probably spend a few weeks in England training and getting checked out, then go back to Seattle for the season on loan, or to a newly promoted PL/ Championship side.
So your advice to young footballers would be to go to clubs where they have to hope for an injury to get a sniff of the first XI? There are better situations out there for his development, and the fact that that's true is good for Spurs.

So your advice to young footballers would be to go to clubs where they have to hope for an injury to get a sniff of the first XI? There are better situations out there for his development, and the fact that that's true is good for Spurs.

Why can't it be a possibility that Naughton, who wants first team football and has been linked to Swansea, is leaving and the Spurs want Yedlin to back up Walker. Yedlin would get a ton of playing time in Europa and Cup games. There's plenty of games for both Walker and Yedlin to play.

So your advice to young footballers would be to go to clubs where they have to hope for an injury to get a sniff of the first XI?
To be fair that's generally how it works at big clubs, but no. I'm not saying that he should have to wait for Walker to get injured, I'm saying that if Walker had a stronger rotation option in the squad then he might not have to play 50 games per season and run himself into the ground in the first place.
There are better situations out there for his development, and the fact that that's true is good for Spurs.
Certainly true, and if you'd re-read my posts then you'd find that I'm not particularly in disagreement with you, but on the surface it looks like it would be a good bit of business for Spurs, and if Yedlin wants the move then it's his prerogative. I'm not claiming that he should rot on our bench.

Any move is a roll of the dice. Any move might not work out, for an endless variety of reasons. But, life isn't about insulating yourself from every possibility of risk, and with a move to Spurs and a subsequent loan to a newly promoted PL side or the like, he'd be playing more regularly against quality opposition, which would likely afford him more of an opportunity for growth.

Back
Top Bottom