DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why can't it be a possibility that Naughton, who wants first team football and has been linked to Swansea, is leaving and the Spurs want Yedlin to back up Walker. Yedlin would get a ton of playing time in Europa and Cup games. There's plenty of games for both Walker and Yedlin to play.
Corrected that for you.

Kasey Keller has questioned Tottenham's reported interest in Seattle Sounders full-back DeAndre Yedlin, suggesting that the player's development could stall without regular first-team action.

The defender, who was one of the breakout stars of the World Cup for the United States, is rumoured to have attracted interest from the Premier League side.

But the former goalkeeper, who spent four years at White Hart Lane, feels a move to Tottenham could backfire for the player and questioned whether a work permit would even be sanctioned for any transfer.

"Spurs is a tricky place to play," Keller told Goal. "They're a team that has a lot of turnover in players. Spurs are a team that has the money, and they are always looking for a bargain, but it's a tough place to go.

"I just want to see young American players play regularly, week in and week out. If that's at Tottenham, great. But if it's not, then it's not the right move. It's hard to develop if you don't play.

"I'm not sure DeAndre would even qualify for a work permit. He's never started a game for the national team, [England] is a tough place to get a work permit.

"My guess would be that if Tottenham is in the race, it would be to sign DeAndre and loan him out somewhere."

To be fair that's generally how it works at big clubs, but no. I'm not saying that he should have to wait for Walker to get injured, I'm saying that if Walker had a stronger rotation option in the squad then he might not have to play 50 games per season and run himself into the ground in the first place.
Certainly true, and if you'd re-read my posts then you'd find that I'm not particularly in disagreement with you, but on the surface it looks like it would be a good bit of business for Spurs, and if Yedlin wants the move then it's his prerogative. I'm not claiming that he should rot on our bench.

Any move is a roll of the dice. Any move might not work out, for an endless variety of reasons. But, life isn't about insulating yourself from every possibility of risk, and with a move to Spurs and a subsequent loan to a newly promoted PL side or the like, he'd be playing more regularly against quality opposition, which would likely afford him more of an opportunity for growth.
Yeah, in reality we're more in agreement than disagreement. It's just that you're analyzing the possibility from a Spurs perspective, more than fair enough as we're all here for Spurs, and I'm looking at it from a ''fuck, we don't produce many promising young footballers in this country...please don't let this one derail'' perspective. I don't think it's a bad bit of business for the club for most of the reasons I've pointed out, low risk/high reward. But I'm not going to get carried away and say on the back of some WC minutes and his Sounders form that he's a clear upgrade over Naughton, who is a known quantity for the club and Fredricks who at least the club is familiar with what they have.

I'm not going to riot and start posting #levyout bullshit if he signs. I just hope he ends up in a situation that's most beneficial to his develop, rather than one that could go downhill very quickly if he doesn't get off to a good start.

She's a Chelsea fan
images

Yeah, in reality we're more in agreement than disagreement. It's just that you're analyzing the possibility from a Spurs perspective, more than fair enough as we're all here for Spurs, and I'm looking at it from a ''fuck, we don't produce many promising young footballers in this country...please don't let this one derail'' perspective. I don't think it's a bad bit of business for the club for most of the reasons I've pointed out, low risk/high reward. But I'm not going to get carried away and say on the back of some WC minutes and his Sounders form that he's a clear upgrade over Naughton, who is a known quantity for the club and Fredricks who at least the club is familiar with what they have.

I'm not going to riot and start posting #levyout bullshit if he signs. I just hope he ends up in a situation that's most beneficial to his develop, rather than one that could go downhill very quickly if he doesn't get off to a good start.

From a USMNT perspective Yedlin coming here is probably not the best move. However, if he is coming here, I think I figured out where he should be loaned to. Hull. I know that seems a little odd, but they've got Europa and he would definitely start for them. I can't say I know a whole lot about their style of play, but it would give him the experience he needs in the Prem and additionally get him playing in Europe without worrying that he could potentially be a liability.

So I still have my doubts that this would be a good move for either side, but I went to the MLS All-Star/Bayern game last night and he was a stand-out. Quick, decisive and his crossing was great.

From a USMNT perspective Yedlin coming here is probably not the best move. However, if he is coming here, I think I figured out where he should be loaned to. Hull. I know that seems a little odd, but they've got Europa and he would definitely start for them. I can't say I know a whole lot about their style of play, but it would give him the experience he needs in the Prem and additionally get him playing in Europe without worrying that he could potentially be a liability.

I don't think it's a given that Yedlin would "definitely" start for any Premier League team

Pochettino coached Southampton for a year and a half and in that time he moulded two 18 year old full backs into £46 million combined in transfer fees. I'm sure he could do something extremely positive with a player of Yedlin's natural ability and athleticism. The same goes for Walker, Davies and Rose.

Elmohamady has a good 3/4 years of Premier League experience, plus however many international games. Yedlin is a fantastic talent but he'd take some time to get to the point where he'd be starting for any Premier League team IMO. I do believe he can/will get to that point, but I just don't see him coming over here and walking in to the XI anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom