DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Casual fans are fans, but they are less important fans, so it's not retarded. Someone who shrugs and says ManU is their favorite team is not on equal footing with someone who watches broadcasts and streams of every match (and probably some other teams' matches), buys kits, scarves, refrigerator magnets, and even the occasional plane and match ticket. Of the latter more important category, there is a healthy ratio of Spurs supporters. Fans are not fans.

Bringing this again back to to the original point, the idea that Americans are generally unhappy about Yedlin because Spurs are disliked in America is baseless.

Americans are suspicious that he won't get playing time or he will get loaned to a championship team and then he won't develop as a better player. Not sure if Roma is all that much better, but there had been a plan to loan him to Genoa from there which many American fans see as a better long range plan.

Of interest, there is a pocket of Tottenham Hotspur fans in Texas related to the success of the NBA team San Antonio Spurs. Apparently you can buy Tottenham jerseys and other gear inside the Alamodome.

Anyway, the original post said that Americans were unhappy about Yedlin going to Spurs because Spurs are "disliked in the states."

This is the bit I have been disagreeing with. Not that there aren't more ManU pubs or that some might have other preferences for Yedlin's development, but that Americans are unhappy about it because of a general dislike for Spurs in this country.

EPL by far the most popular league in the states. The language helps, but I think most knowledgable fans know how boring your standard La Liga or Bundesliga match can be other than Barca v. Madrid (either now) and Bayern v. Dortmund. The best part about the EPL is the amount of quality throughout the league and how even the top teams can drop points to the worst teams. The top 6 or 7 would be top 3 in pretty much any other league outside of maybe La Liga with Atletico showing up.

For example, I know it was a friendly, but we pretty much easily handled a Schalke side that finished 3rd in the BL.

Far and away though, the single biggest factors are that it is English-speaking (not just the games but the majority of associated print and online media, radio, podcasts like TFC, etc.) and, more recently, the fact that it's possible to follow a team with their games televised each and every week. Then quality of the product factors in.

Far and away though, the single biggest factors are that it is English-speaking (not just the games but the majority of associated print and online media, radio, podca
sts like TFC, etc.) and, more recently, the fact that it's possible to follow a team with their games televised each and every week. Then quality of the product factors in.

This is all true, and exactly why the Prem will always be more popular in English-speaking nations. It will be very intriguing to see what happens when the Bundesliga comes to TV here in 2015. I for one am very excited about it.

EPL by far the most popular league in the states. The language helps, but I think most knowledgable fans know how boring your standard La Liga or Bundesliga match can be other than Barca v. Madrid (either now) and Bayern v. Dortmund. The best part about the EPL is the amount of quality throughout the league and how even the top teams can drop points to the worst teams. The top 6 or 7 would be top 3 in pretty much any other league outside of maybe La Liga with Atletico showing up.

For example, I know it was a friendly, but we pretty much easily handled a Schalke side that finished 3rd in the BL.

I agree with you for the most part, but you do a bit of a disservice to the other teams in each league by referring to the two teams at the top in each league. I will say though, that I take particular issue with Bayern. The Bundesliga is growing in profile and quality, and Bayern is hampering it IMO with the growth of their monopoly of the league, as well as their inhalation of the German talent. But other than that, the Bundesliga produces some extremely entertaining football and the turnover in La Liga is intriguing to watch. After the big two, there is almost never consistency as to the other two teams who finish in the top four.

im in Cincinnati. when I talk to people I really think spurs and Woolwich are the two biggest teams here. at least for people you actually watch and care. manu is for the fans who think its what theyr spos to do and never watch for the most part.

im in Cincinnati. when I talk to people I really think spurs and Woolwich are the two biggest teams here. at least for people you actually watch and care. manu is for the fans who think its what theyr spos to do and never watch for the most part.

There was an article written by an American reporter who followed football specifically, in which he covered the "unbandwagoning" of the American Man U fans this past season. Quoted that their facebook page had lost a massive number of "likes," and interviewed bar owners around the country who said people who have been showing up on weekends for years in Man U kits were suddenly exchanging them for Barca or City kits.

What an all-around hilarious season for Man U this past year.

There was an article written by an American reporter who followed football specifically, in which he covered the "unbandwagoning" of the American Man U fans this past season. Quoted that their facebook page had lost a massive number of "likes," and interviewed bar owners around the country who said people who have been showing up on weekends for years in Man U kits were suddenly exchanging them for Barca or City kits.

What an all-around hilarious season for Man U this past year.
Fuck 'em, the sport would be better off without them.

Casual fans are fans, but they are less important fans, so it's not retarded. Someone who shrugs and says ManU is their favorite team is not on equal footing with someone who watches broadcasts and streams of every match (and probably some other teams' matches), buys kits, scarves, refrigerator magnets, and even the occasional plane and match ticket.

What about waiting 2 hours in line at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles......

RUsIP00.jpg

Montana. Spurs Country.

I can only imagine how perplexing that plate is for the other 7 people in Montana...:pochlol:
When I went to Ellis Island, New York, I found out that it is the only state in US where there are no resident Maltese, so I want to visit some day. I always thought that wherever you go in the world, you would always find a Spurs supporter, this proves it!

Of interest, there is a pocket of Tottenham Hotspur fans in Texas related to the success of the NBA team San Antonio Spurs. Apparently you can buy Tottenham jerseys and other gear inside the Alamodome.

Fuck San Antonio.
When they take of their Spurs jersey they put their Chicharito kit back on.

Back
Top Bottom