DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Someone we know who is a teacher had a girl in her class who had the number 1 in her name. I can't remember the name for the life of me, but instead of having letters that made the same sound, they just had the number 1 in her name. Poor fucking kid. Imagine that on a resume or CV.

Have a friend that is a teacher that had a kid named La-a.

La-dash-a. True story.
:paulinhofacepalm:

I'm skeptical that there's any cultural history or significance to the name La-a.

Quite often the banner of political correctness, racial, and cultural sensitivity is taken to the extreme of excusing just sheer nonsense.

Generally when people make fun of names like DaQuan, DeAndre, Shaneeqwa, Sharkeesha etc they're making fun of poor black people tbh.

So, they can't be just making fun of a funny sounding name, it has to do with making fun of "poor black people"? Why do you assume they are poor, by the way? Or black for that matter? Don't white or hispanic people often have funny names? I worked with a guy who's name was Farquar, wasn't black or poor.

http://deadspin.com/5924827/american-baby-names-are-somehow-getting-even-worse

That link makes fun of bad baby names, I don't see the implication that the criticisms are racist in tone.

Generally when people make fun of names like DaQuan, DeAndre, Shaneeqwa, Sharkeesha etc they're making fun of poor black people tbh.
They're making fun of the name. The fact that they're generally black is incidental; an unfortunate likelihood of being born below the poverty line. We'd make fun of a white man if his name was Obi-Wan Kenobi, but "oh my god, they're black, I should really keep my mouth shut lest people think I'm racist!"

So, they can't be just making fun of a funny sounding name, it has to do with making fun of "poor black people"? Why do you assume they are poor, by the way? Or black for that matter? Don't white or hispanic people often have funny names? I worked with a guy who's name was Farquar, wasn't black or poor.

That link makes fun of bad baby names, I don't see the implication that the criticisms are racist in tone.

This one cracked me up

• Brook'Lynn The abuse of apostrophes in names has to end. A reasonable person should be able to know, by looking at a name, when one syllable ends and another begins. But no, dumbfucks all over the country have to be like "I'll name him Raw'Bert." You stop that. Give me some credit for being able to read even if you can't.

Raw'Bert :levylol:

:soldadowtf:

This one cracked me up

• Brook'Lynn The abuse of apostrophes in names has to end. A reasonable person should be able to know, by looking at a name, when one syllable ends and another begins. But no, dumbfucks all over the country have to be like "I'll name him Raw'Bert." You stop that. Give me some credit for being able to read even if you can't.

Raw'Bert :levylol:

:soldadowtf:

I propose that people use the resume/CV test when naming their baby. If the name won't cause your special little snowflake embarrassment, annoying/unwanted questions about its origin, or immediate questions in regards to their viability as a potential employee, don't name your kid that.

Has this turned into the "names I hate" thread? I thought all the activity meant there was good news. Get him signed ASAP as it looks like Walker could be out for a while longer & a "hip problem" is a worry

But why is it funny? Because they're not common for white people.
You're right, people of all races and nationalities can have funny sounding names, but names like DeAndre, D'Marcus, DaShaun etc aren't funny at all, they're just mocked because they're only seen in black communities.
Most example of names like Shaneeqwa or Sharkeesha that I've seen are lower class black people, the type you see on worldstarhiphop, thots, ratchets etc.

They're making fun of the name. The fact that they're generally black is incidental; an unfortunate likelihood of being born below the poverty line. We'd make fun of a white man if his name was Obi-Wan Kenobi, but "oh my god, they're black, I should really keep my mouth shut lest people think I'm racist!"
Because DeAndre is hilarious and similar to Obi-Wan Kenobi. :sandro:

Seriously though, La-dash-a is such a better name than like Brittney or Montana or Jessica.

tumblr_lst98t3RPB1qaorpxo1_400.gif

Back
Top Bottom