DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Listen, I'm not some sort of American patriot or anything but I do think American players get unnecessarily looked down upon. The US has made the knock out stages of the World Cup 3 of the last 4 cups and the MLS is roughly on the level of an Eastern European league. America is a decent footballing country, the only reason it doesn't appear so is because in comparison to its success in other sports, football just isn't on that level.

IMO you have to look at Yedlin roughly the same way as Eric Dier. Both are young, cheap and have upside. At the end of the day they are low risk/high upside transfer. Yedlin is cheaper and more athletic and barely six months older than Dier. Plus Yedlin actually had some decent run outs against the German and Belgian national teams which is more than Dier had on his CV. Also, had Yedlin not come here he was going to Roma who are a Champions League team and second in Serie A, it's not Spurs plucked him out of obscurity.

He's 21, cost 2m, and has potential. If we wasn't American I really don't think there would be any reservations about the guy. The tenor to the conversation about Yedlin is nowhere similar to when we signed Dier despite the fact that the particulars surrounding both of them are relatively comparable.

Can he play or can't he? I don't care about his nationality. You have let it colour your objectivity.

Can he play or can't he? I don't care about his nationality. You have let it colour your objectivity.

I don't know the answer to that just like I didn't know the answer to whether Eric Dier could play. My point is people are already saying Yedlin is just for shirt sales or is not good enough without enough info.

The absolute first thing I said was I don't know if he'll make it at Spurs. It's not an objectivity thing at all as I'm not claiming he'll be good, I just don't understand the negativity surrounding him already. There's no reason for it and I posit that it largely has to do with nationality.

Once again, I want the best players at Spurs. I don't care if Americans come or not. I didn't start supporting the club for that reason and I've never gotten a buzz off Dempsey, Friedel, or Keller being at the club. But the thing that always bothers me is double standards and lack of fairness. I don't understand the backlash to Yedlin and it upsets me far more on a logic level than an American level.

I don't know the answer to that just like I didn't know the answer to whether Eric Dier could play. My point is people are already saying Yedlin is just for shirt sales or is not good enough without enough info.

The absolute first thing I said was I don't know if he'll make it at Spurs. It's not an objectivity thing at all as I'm not claiming he'll be good, I just don't understand the negativity surrounding him already. There's no reason for it and I posit that it largely has to do with nationality.
I disagree, but I hope we won't fall out about it.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family. Cheers yiddo x

JDK, I couldn't agree more with what you're saying and all that was pretty much my point earlier when I went off after a shirt sales comment.

Big ups to your play on Wu-Tang also

pdxspur pdxspur 's bias is showing. He's probably a Timbers fan. And maybe I'm wrong and you watch all our U18 games but to say Yedlin is below Walker-Peters is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read here.

Personally I'm just happy he is on Spurs. He may get loaned out, he may play for the U21's but it is great having a young American at Tottenham imo.

I do believe there is a great deal of pressure on him and that could be a problem. With all the controversy over Klinsman's views on the MLS and Yedlin probably being our best prospect here in the States, there will be media putting him on a higher level than he probably is. But I personally am just excited to see what happens.

He has certainly improved his corssing from last season, but calling him a good crosser is still a stretch. The jury is still out on that. Seattle doesn't really build their attacks from the wings/fullbacks. Much of the optomism in his attacking game is purely conjecture at this point. What he has is ridiculous speed and good balance/strength. These things you can't coach but if Poch is the player developer he got credit for at Soton it'll be exciting to see what he can do with Yedlin. However, he is currently nowhere near Premier League level skillwise.
Surely he's gotta be better than Lennon at crossing?

pdxspur pdxspur 's bias is showing. He's probably a Timbers fan. And maybe I'm wrong and you watch all our U18 games but to say Yedlin is below Walker-Peters is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read here.

Personally I'm just happy he is on Spurs. He may get loaned out, he may play for the U21's but it is great having a young American at Tottenham imo.

I do believe there is a great deal of pressure on him and that could be a problem. With all the controversy over Klinsman's views on the MLS and Yedlin probably being our best prospect here in the States, there will be media putting him on a higher level than he probably is. But I personally am just excited to see what happens.

I am a Timbers fan but I am also a fan of the USMNT and I really like Yedlin. I am also happy we got him both as a Spurs fan and as someone who would like to see him develop for the USMNT. I state that multiple times throughout this thread. I just believe that he isn't quite ready for the first team and at a minimum should play with the U21's this season and be assessed this summer to see what's best for next year. That has been my only point and was only brought up because there are a handful of people here and on Twitter who expect him to step right in and surpass everybody but Walker on the depth chart and most of them seem to have not watched Yedlin outside of the WC. The KWP thing was more just to make a point that he hasn't even kicked a ball in London yet and until he does we should assume that he's above ANYBODY in the pecking order.

Surely he's gotta be better than Lennon at crossing?
Hard to say, as stated above that's not really how Seattle plays this last season, it was a weak spot before but in his cameos at winger for the USMNT and in flashes this season his crossing and willingness to swing crosses in seems to have improved. I don't really think there is enough evidence to call him a "good crosser" of the ball yet is all.

I am a Timbers fan but I am also a fan of the USMNT and I really like Yedlin. I am also happy we got him both as a Spurs fan and as someone who would like to see him develop for the USMNT. I state that multiple times throughout this thread. I just believe that he isn't quite ready for the first team and at a minimum should play with the U21's this season and be assessed this summer to see what's best for next year. That has been my only point and was only brought up because there are a handful of people here and on Twitter who expect him to step right in and surpass everybody but Walker on the depth chart and most of them seem to have not watched Yedlin outside of the WC. The KWP thing was more just to make a point that he hasn't even kicked a ball in London yet and until he does we should assume that he's above ANYBODY in the pecking order.
Imma go ahead and assume he is above Kyle Walker-Peters:adethumbup:

pdx, to say you are trying to have it both ways would be to undercount the number of ways you're trying to have it in this thread.

I have no idea what you are trying to get at. The only reason I even posted in this thread is that tehre were a few posts that were all "He needs to jump right in the starting 11", which is crazy. I have exactly the same stance that Joe Clash has that you seem to agree with, which is that he is raw and needs time. Any other way you taook it is on you.

Either way, I'm pretty over this as in the end we both want the same thing out of this. Which is for both Spurs and Yedlin to succeed, the only dissonance here is how quickly we think he will be ready to help Spurs. In my mind that in not worth 4 more pages of bickering over minor points of the debate. KWP specifically, which has taken up more attention and time than intended and I'll accept that the point intended when mentioning him has clearly missed the mark.

I think that the "shirt sales" comment is actually apt, yet I don't think it's necessarily THIS season's "sales" we should be focusing on. All Americans know plenty of people that started watching Everton due to Donovan (or Howard) or even Spurs due to Dempsey. Those that might not have actually had much of an interest in the EPL might tune in now.

As far as whether or not he'll do well, I think that the safe bet is that he'll be less than impressive, return to MLS with this tail between his legs and succeed well in that league. Then everyone in the States will have to hear Taylor Twellman blabber on and on about how good of a player he truly is, even though anyone that pays attention to anything other than MLS will know the truth.

Back
Top Bottom