Defoe on the Cups vs CL debate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So I was lucky enough to go to the Fans Forum with JD at the Lane last night. He was on good form, answering questions on a variety of topics. I put the question to him about whether he would prefer to win the FA Cup and Europa League or qualify for the Champions League again, and he didn't hesitate much in choosing the latter. So there you go, I guess that's the modern footballer's mindset these days.

A few other things from off the top of my head:
- Modric called the strikers 'greedy' in training after Ade and JD each failed to pass against Newcastle; JD says he felt he had a good chance of scoring and was going to shoot, that's just the way he is.
- JD claimed he doesn't feel any joy over Rooney's England ban - reckons it shouldn't need to take something like that for him to force himself into the team.
- Everyone laughs at Pav's dress sense.
- JD is most impressed with Tom Carroll out of the youngsters
- JD thinks Modric is our most irreplacable player
- Bassong is an attention seeker, Sandro hugs everyone when he comes into training
- Niko is the most frequent supplier of nutmegs
- JD reckons he's sharper over 10 yards than Bale, also says he's fitter than he's ever been
- JD has been offering a bit of advice to Coulibaly, namely, not to rush his shots when through on goal
- Adebayor 'hates' Woolwich

...and quite a bit more besides, but there's a taster.

boxbat said:
So I was lucky enough to go to the Fans Forum with JD at the Lane last night. He was on good form, answering questions on a variety of topics. I put the question to him about whether he would prefer to win the FA Cup and Europa League or qualify for the Champions League again, and he didn't hesitate much in choosing the latter. So there you go, I guess that's the modern footballer's mindset these days.

A few other things from off the top of my head:
- Modric called the strikers 'greedy' in training after Ade and JD each failed to pass against Newcastle; JD says he felt he had a good chance of scoring and was going to shoot, that's just the way he is.
- JD claimed he doesn't feel any joy over Rooney's England ban - reckons it shouldn't need to take something like that for him to force himself into the team.
- Everyone laughs at Pav's dress sense.
- JD is most impressed with Tom Carroll out of the youngsters
- JD thinks Modric is our most irreplacable player
- Bassong is an attention seeker, Sandro hugs everyone when he comes into training
- Niko is the most frequent supplier of nutmegs
- JD reckons he's sharper over 10 yards than Bale, also says he's fitter than he's ever been
- JD has been offering a bit of advice to Coulibaly, namely, not to rush his shots when through on goal
- Adebayor 'hates' a***nal

...and quite a bit more besides, but there's a taster.

I want a Sandro hug. What a guy!

R.E. the debate of cups vs. CL, I would efinately take the cups. Nothing beats the feeling of winning a trophy (well, having not been alive when my team wins the league, I assume that would beat it). I was born in 91, so the first trophy I remember the 99 Worthington win, but the 2008 Carling win was amazing. beating Chelski, at Wembley in the way we did was my favourite day as a Spurs fan to that date, bettered only by beating Arsneal and Internazionale.

The CL is something that we will get through the league, but whether it is this year or next until we get it again, I would still prefer to win the FA Cup or the Europa League.

:winner:

Thelonious Filth said:
I wish he'd take his own advice!

I'm sure you're not the only one. Though he did also say at one point that most of what he does is natural, instinctive, rather than trained into him, so perhaps there's limited room for change there...

i love defoe, always have, i always get the sense, despite leaving before that he loves being there. always come across as pretty down to earth as well.

Mr Vexed said:
i love defoe, always have, i always get the sense, despite leaving before that he loves being there. always come across as pretty down to earth as well.

Yeah I thought he came across well last night (and on other occasions I've heard him). He said he never really wanted to leave, and hearing his name cheered by Spurs fans whilst playing for Portsmouth made him want to come back.

I'll admit I find it hard to warm to Defoe as a person, doesn't striker me as a sincere type. However, he has given his best years to Spurs and I'll always wish him well. Very impressed with him so far this season as well, hope he keeps it up.

There's far too much sentiment at Spurs for average players. I get the impression that as long as Defoe scores and is picked for the England side, he couldn't give a monkey's about his club.

He's a good squad player, granted, but his ego is twice the size of his actual ability.

Did anyone see the SkySports report on Defoe a few months back?

Came across really well in that as well. Respect to the guy. never been a big favourite of mine but he has done well for us, and he has got 100 goals for Spurs hasn't he?

YidoBuckler said:
Did anyone see the SkySports report on Defoe a few months back?

Came across really well in that as well. Respect to the guy. never been a big favourite of mine but he has done well for us, and he has got 100 goals for Spurs hasn't he?

I remember there being a poorly thought out t-shirt idea backfiring

Back
Top Bottom