Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I said it months ago, he's done. He is currently so far away from being a top PL regular that its embarrassing. Watch him carefully and i swear its like watching a decent semi pro being dropped into play. Bad decision after bad decision, combined with dreadful execution. Honestly once you really notice it, its a combination of sad and comical.

Not sure why it happened but its been going on for some time now and i dont see a way out of it or a way back for him. The clocks ticking, JM has seen him for what he currently is and wont keep picking Dele's brother. He'd realise decent money if we sold him and i reckon thats whats going to happen.

Not getting off on being a hater, i thought he was going to be a true legend, but honestly, this just cant go on.

It turns out he is actually a very limited player.

Successive managers have both seemed to rate him, I guess for the ground he covers and the theory that he improves Kane's game but I just dont know if that is the case anymore and hasn't been for the last two years.

We improved massively as an attacking threat when Lamela and Stevie came on and that was no surpise to anyone. His dawdling in possession and gifting of the ball to the opposition and poor shooting saw him rightly hooked.

I don't think opposition fear him anymore. He can't beat a player one-on-one, he doesn't have a great strike from distance, he's not quick and doesn't press aggressively. All you have to do is watch the run from deep onto the long ball and you have him sussed.

We can't afford to give the crucial number 10 role to a player with such a limited skill set and I hope Jose starts to see this.

It turns out he is actually a very limited player.

Successive managers have both seemed to rate him, I guess for the ground he covers and the theory that he improves Kane's game but I just dont know if that is the case anymore and hasn't been for the last two years.

We improved massively as an attacking threat when Lamela and Stevie came on and that was no surpise to anyone. His dawdling in possession and gifting of the ball to the opposition and poor shooting saw him rightly hooked.

I don't think opposition fear him anymore. He can't beat a player one-on-one, he doesn't have a great strike from distance, he's not quick and doesn't press aggressively. All you have to do is watch the run from deep onto the long ball and you have him sussed.

We can't afford to give the crucial number 10 role to a player with such a limited skill set and I hope Jose starts to see this.

I want to see if he improves during this run of games towards the end of the season because I am almost certain Jose will keep picking him.

Then if there is no sign of the old dele I’d be happy to cash in when the transfer window opens, but only to raise funds for more important positions in the squad.

I also think Lucas/lamela should be higher up on the list of attackers we consider selling. The only reason Dele should be considered is if someone like Everton are willing to pay an extortionate amount for him.

it’s sad because he’s probably my favourite spurs player and I still think he has potential, but right now he’s nothing more than good squad depth to me.

Selling him also hurts our home grown quota so that’s a negative but if we did put him on the market it would probably mean Jose is going all in on 433 next season because he doesn’t really fit in to that system so that’s a positive to me.

I want to see if he improves during this run of games towards the end of the season because I am almost certain Jose will keep picking him.

Then if there is no sign of the old dele I’d be happy to cash in when the transfer window opens, but only to raise funds for more important positions in the squad.

I also think Lucas/lamela should be higher up on the list of attackers we consider selling. The only reason Dele should be considered is if someone like Everton are willing to pay an extortionate amount for him.

it’s sad because he’s probably my favourite spurs player and I still think he has potential, but right now he’s nothing more than good squad depth to me.

Selling him also hurts our home grown quota so that’s a negative but if we did put him on the market it would probably mean Jose is going all in on 433 next season because he doesn’t really fit in to that system so that’s a positive to me.

Remember his game vs France?

Wouldn't it be something to see that player again.....?

Dele is not playing great but maybe relax a little. People genuinely believe Lamela is better. Look, I agree Dele hasn't played his best this season but don't compare him to the guy in the prime of his career but can't muster more than 5 league goals in a season.

The problem with this side is we have zero creativity.
Dele was at his best when Dembele sat behind Eriksen and we had two full backs that bombed down either wing.
Now? Our left back never goes up but our right back plays like a winger and there is no creative player like Eriksen.

Dele is not playing great but maybe relax a little. People genuinely believe Lamela is better. Look, I agree Dele hasn't played his best this season but don't compare him to the guy in the prime of his career but can't muster more than 5 league goals in a season.

The problem with this side is we have zero creativity.
Dele was at his best when Dembele sat behind Eriksen and we had two full backs that bombed down either wing.
Now? Our left back never goes up but our right back plays like a winger and there is no creative player like Eriksen.
Without someone like Eriksen in our starting 11, our 10 role occupied by Alli was supposedly the source of creativity. But that was not the case. His performance showed that he is the weakest link in our attacking front 4. His finishing has regressed a lot and could only put the ball into the net within 6 yard box.

He played well, in the context of ALL the other attacking players in first half. Only player in front four who had movement and linked play during this period. Everyone else were lamp posts and could pass or hold onto the ball for love nor money.

Without someone like Eriksen in our starting 11, our 10 role occupied by Alli was supposedly the source of creativity. But that was not the case. His performance showed that he is the weakest link in our attacking front 4. His finishing has regressed a lot and could only put the ball into the net within 6 yard box.
Without someone like Eriksen, that creative role has to be replaced. No ifs or buts... if we want to get back to how we used to run through teams, we're going to need to be able to break them down when they sit back.

Talking about our front 4, Son has one of the worst chance creation stats in the entire league. The eye test will back this up, he does not create chances for others. Lucas and Bergwijn are similar. Dele creates chances but ultimately, he needs someone else out there with him.

We have a HUGE void of creativity in this side. Aurier tries his best but he is arguably our #1 outlet. When we are building an attack, often we just swing it out to him and hope for a good cross. Being so lopsided, since our left fullback will never attack, makes us easy to defend against. The opposing CBs know where the ball is going and how we will attack the box.

The only player who has shown he can provide some creativity is Lo Celso. We don't expect it from Sissoko and Harry Winks is the type of player that searches for a player like Eriksen, not someone that will create opportunities by himself. Ndombele is one of the only other players that can play like this and he never gets any minutes.

Two things I think we need to do going forward
1) Buy a creative player , this might take the burden off Dele Alli who is being asked to play like Eriksen right now.
2) Bring in Someone like Eze , who can directly challenge Dele maybe that'll give him a kick up the backside
But for me I think going forward we need to line up 4-3-3 , DM , Lo Celso and Ndombele should be our midfield going foward. I feel like Ndombele would be playing if Mou wasn't trying to play 4-2-3-1 to fit a very AVERAGE Dele.

He came on against United in the 70th minute.

Yes I know he did but it was for 20 mins. I just think we should stop making excuses. People were saying Ali was burnt out not so long ago which was why he was not performing. If anyone had a right to be off the pace it might have been the players that were having their second full match in 4 days. Ali should have been raring to go

Yes I know he did but I just think we should stop making excuses. People were saying Ali was burnt out not so long ago which was why he was not performing. If anyone had a right to be off the pace it might have been the players that were having their second full match in 4 days. Ali should have been raring to go
His first competitive appearance in 3 months is the point.

Who should have played instead IYO? Ndombele by any chance?

Dele is the kind of player who will only thrive in a system which allows it - ie he needs to have a lot of quality around him so he can find pockets of space and make runs off people.

In a system like we are currently playing where we have Sissoko in midfield with very limited ability to pass progressively and Lucas/Son out wide who aren't particularly interested in getting involved in build up play, a lot of the onus for progressive and decisive passing falls on Dele. Unfortunately he is not that kind of player and he is always at his best when he is found in the middle of an incisive move or at the end of one so he can do his instinctual flicks and tricks or even a touch and shoot which is his bread and butter.

I think he makes things more difficult by not really adding anything to us when he isn't 'at the races' so to speak, as he is unwilling to do the simple things like playing one-twos or making runs into the channel, in favour of trying low percentage flicks or nutmegs.

When he is playing well he is undoubtedly a good player, but when he isn't he is a luxury we cannot afford. Tough one really.

His first competitive appearance in 3 months is the point.

Who should have played instead IYO? Ndombele by any chance?

It hasn’t got anything to do with Ndombele. We are talking about Ali. He has looked a shadow of his best for quite some time yet he seems to waltz back into the team without for me having earned his place back.

Back
Top Bottom