Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe he trains well, turns up on time, maybe he does exactly what Jose expects of him and so is trusted.

Maybe he is trusted to turn up on time and perhaps he does know exactly what Jose expects of him- but it doesn’t mean he can produce it on the pitch. Anyway let’s hope he gets back to his best but I am not sure that we haven’t already seen the best of him

It was obvious he would start - him and Lucas are two of his favourite players.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they both started against Sheffield United either, though I think Bergwijn may just have taken Lucas' place after his shocking performance in the week.

He wasn't our worst attacking player against West Ham - that award goes to Lucas, but he's hideously off form and we looked much better and quicker in attack when he came off. I think he has 1 goal from open play in his last 11 league games for us.

Maybe Lamela couldn't start 2 games in quick succession? But Lamela should back in for him against Sheff Utd and Bergwijn should come back in for Lucas. Lo Celso keeps his place over Winks and I guess Jose loves "He's not a central midfielder" Moussa Sissoko in there for his work rate, so he keeps his place too.

Without someone like Eriksen, that creative role has to be replaced. No ifs or buts... if we want to get back to how we used to run through teams, we're going to need to be able to break them down when they sit back.

Talking about our front 4, Son has one of the worst chance creation stats in the entire league. The eye test will back this up, he does not create chances for others. Lucas and Bergwijn are similar. Dele creates chances but ultimately, he needs someone else out there with him.

We have a HUGE void of creativity in this side. Aurier tries his best but he is arguably our #1 outlet. When we are building an attack, often we just swing it out to him and hope for a good cross. Being so lopsided, since our left fullback will never attack, makes us easy to defend against. The opposing CBs know where the ball is going and how we will attack the box.

The only player who has shown he can provide some creativity is Lo Celso. We don't expect it from Sissoko and Harry Winks is the type of player that searches for a player like Eriksen, not someone that will create opportunities by himself. Ndombele is one of the only other players that can play like this and he never gets any minutes.
Great post mate.

I do think however Berwijn can and has been involved in some of our brightets moves. His movement is very intelligent and has come into the middle and lay off a 1st time ball out to an overlapping player a few times now (not enough but that's more to do how Jose has us set up than anything). I get the historical positions he's played prior to joining us but not only have I been impressed with his execution of what we knew he could do but his involvement in build-up play has really, really impressed me. I would have loved to have seen him play in the first half vs West Ham instead of Lucas (who was shite) to have proved that right. I think there is so much more to him than a player who is quick on the counter.

Great post mate.

I do think however Berwijn can and has been involved in some of our brightets moves. His movement is very intelligent and has come into the middle and lay off a 1st time ball out to an overlapping player a few times now (not enough but that's more to do how Jose has us set up than anything). I get the historical positions he's played prior to joining us but not only have I been impressed with his execution of what we knew he could do but his involvement in build-up play has really, really impressed me. I would have loved to have seen him play in the first half vs West Ham instead of Lucas (who was shite) to have proved that right. I think there is so much more to him than a player who is quick on the counter.
Yeah, agree with everything you said. He looks like a star player, I love him. It's a shame Eriksen fell out of favour with the club as you'd imagine Son-Eriksen-Bergwijn would've been a devastating 3 to line up behind Kane. Bergwijn is class.

I guess what I meant in my post is that their primary focus is not to create chances and it would enhance Bergwijn/Son/Dele/Lucas if they had a player alongside them who thrived on creating chances for others. That might be Ndombele, who knows. Once we have GLC and another creative mid out there, i think that is when we will see the best of this group.

Yeah, agree with everything you said. He looks like a star player, I love him. It's a shame Eriksen fell out of favour with the club as you'd imagine Son-Eriksen-Bergwijn would've been a devastating 3 to line up behind Kane. Bergwijn is class.

I guess what I meant in my post is that their primary focus is not to create chances and it would enhance Bergwijn/Son/Dele/Lucas if they had a player alongside them who thrived on creating chances for others. That might be Ndombele, who knows. Once we have GLC and another creative mid out there, i think that is when we will see the best of this group.
100% agree and that player is Ndombele. When he has played he has been the difference and has been the player to break the oppo press and is passing has already on numerous occasion opened up the oppo.

It's a shame we have such a negative coach manage us right now, as evidenced by keeping to a back three against West Ham in the first half. I mean fuck me 3 defenders stayed back to mark the Championship Wonderhorse Antonio, so frustrating to see.

Two things I think we need to do going forward
1) Buy a creative player , this might take the burden off Dele Alli who is being asked to play like Eriksen right now.
2) Bring in Someone like Eze , who can directly challenge Dele maybe that'll give him a kick up the backside
But for me I think going forward we need to line up 4-3-3 , DM , Lo Celso and Ndombele should be our midfield going foward. I feel like Ndombele would be playing if Mou wasn't trying to play 4-2-3-1 to fit a very AVERAGE Dele.
Can someone a bit better with tactics explain this part to me? I know the default is to say we set up in a 4-2-3-1 but when I watch us play I hardly ever see us in that formation.

In attack I see us with a 3-2-5 and we defend in a 4-4-2.

At least that's what I see, and I'm not the best with tactics or anything.

Lucas was our worst player on the pitch by a distance, or are you seriously gonna tell me that he was good. If so please do proceed to impart your wisdom and list those moments.

Lucas not playing well doesn’t mean Dele was any better. He wasn’t. He was shite, just like the tides will turn, you can bet your house in a Dele no show.

1st game back after 3 months off.

😂

Nah i'm not having that, i said the same before the break. So did many others on here. Hes been terrible (sorry theres no other word for it) for ages now. Why do you think JM made a gag about 'Dele's Brother'?

Take my acid test. Really watch him next game. Then rate him either PL Star or Semi Pro in PL team. Loyalty is awesome and to be admired, blind loyalty not so much.

Lucas was our worst player on the pitch by a distance, or are you seriously gonna tell me that he was good. If so please do proceed to impart your wisdom and list those moments.
I think this is a bit harsh calling him the worst player by a distance.

He wasn't great but I thought his passing was better than it usually is (which is shit), he had two nice chances (one saved and one he pulled wide that he should have converted, but he was in the right place)and tracked back fairly well.

I like Bergjwin better but I think it's harsh to say he was shit on Tuesday.

Lucas not playing well doesn’t mean Dele was any better. He wasn’t. He was shite, just like the tides will turn.
Of our front four he was the ONLY player making runs. The ONLY player linking play. The ONLY player to complete a pass.

The first half was bottled by the manager and we kept back 3 defenders marking one man (Antonio), they played narrow and we played narrow. Only when Davies also pushed up were we able to stretch the pitch and create space an thus the opportunities increased.

I acknowledge the first half as a shite half of football, hence I said "in context" Dele was the best of our front four. But when you hold a bias, it's things like that you ignore, as the desire to lay blame is all too quick.

Of our front four he was the ONLY player making runs. The ONLY player linking play. The ONLY player to complete a pass.

The first half was bottled by the manager and we kept back 3 defenders marking one man (Antonio), they played narrow and we played narrow. Only when Davies also pushed up were we able to stretch the pitch and create space an thus the opportunities increased.

I acknowledge the first half as a shite half of football, hence I said "in context" Dele was the best of our front four. But when you hold a bias, it's things like that you ignore, as the desire to lay blame is all too quick.

He was shite.

The tactics were shite in the first half. Jose bottled that half playing 3ATB meaning we were too narrow.

He was one of our best players in the first half (WE WERE SHITE IN THE FIRST HALF). The ONLY player in our front four who moved and linked play.

I suppose we are all guilty of seeing what we want to see at times.

Back
Top Bottom