Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hey Guids. But what about those of us that understood he moved positions but was equally shit in them all? Can we read this article?
That would be down to you to post would it not? To like actually back up and support your position.

I’ve posted at least two to back my position up that show what he does in a different and deeper position and The last one I personally posted actually showed dispute this deeper role his numbers (goals and assists, pressing actions) we're tracking at his highest in his career.

So over to you.

Last edited:
mirror24.png

Wolves net spend <£3M, lumping them in to prove your point is poor form.

There have been 3 transfers >£40M this summer, all to Chelsea - the only club really spending big right now.

So, if we sell its almost certainly under £40M and on current form probably to the blue scum. Why the fuck do that?

He stays and sorts himself out...don't know why its even a debate, given his contract.

Yea, I agree with you (and stated in inital post) - ofc we should not move him on for under than 40 mill, even less to Chelsea.

But I still disagree that there is no money in the market when clubs such as Napoli are throwing around sums like 70 mil EUR for striker who is yet to score 40 goals within his career :D

It's a complicated one, he's the player that splits our fanbase the most apart from N'Dombele. FWIW, I would sell Dele now but only at the right price, and as I don't think we'll get a good offer he should stay put for the meantime. Dele has real quality and you don't lose that overnight, but injuries (in my view) have played a big role in his loss of form. He's still intermittently good but is playing much deeper now and we have players who suit that position better than he does. Ideally he plays a free role like he did in 2015-17 when he was devastating, but the team has moved on and I don't quite know where he fits into our current structure or even where he can be played for best effect.

Dele could still have a role to play here but he's not quite right for whatever reason and hasn't been for some time - as fans, we can only speculate why that is the case. Eventually he may have to leave and try to restart his career somewhere else - and good luck to him on that one. We've certainly got more than our money's worth from him. He definitely does not deserve any hate from our fans.

I feel like Mourinho isn't the sort of manager to mollycoddle players.
Your Redknapps and possibly your Poch's could do it with decent success and get the best out of them.
Mourinho wants/needs players who can sort their own shit out and most of all, do what he tells them to do, exactly, for 90 minutes. That's not a dig at Mourinho. He's used to winning things and is likely as impatient as the rest of us when it comes to having to go the long way round to doing that.

Can be a great player on his day, but hasn’t been his day for a while. When he plays badly he is utterly abysmal, to the point where he hinders the team

The odd good performance every 10 games isn’t good enough to combat that.

He also doesn’t fit into Mourinho's formation/tactics. I’d sell him while his reputation/value is still at a decent level

Yea, I agree with you (and stated in inital post) - ofc we should not move him on for under than 40 mill, even less to Chelsea.

But I still disagree that there is no money in the market when clubs such as Napoli are throwing around sums like 70 mil EUR for striker who is yet to score 40 goals within his career :D
Just can't see that sort of market for him right now. Player whose form has declined for 3 seasons in a row - no one is buying him on what he did 3 and 4 seasons ago. If any offers come in, it'll be teams looking to score a bargain on an out of form player or a club like Chelsea or City who can afford £35M to pad their HG numbers as they do so often.

We've got a thread open about a formerly celebrated player where 50% of Spurs supporters want him gone. That tells you everything you need to know about the supply and demand status of one Dele Alli.

The worry is we sell him, the fresh start helps him sort himself out and he looks world class again age mid twenties, and we lost a huge talent and regret it.

Loaning him out may not be a bad move because he may regain his form at the new club and then we could get more money for him from that club, or another. Or better yet, sell him with a buy back clause like Real just did to us. The problem is finding the right willing club to agree to such a deal.

I expected or maybe hoped Alli would be our captain one day if not already. It was certainly he or Kane.

You don't just lose your talent but you can abuse it and find it nigh impossible to regain.

Being sentimental gets you nowhere other than closer to a free transfer but neither is he as old as Eriksen.

It's pretty clear. If the guy stays and produces then he is a gem. If not he is off.

Nothing inbetween once we get to the mid-season window.

It's a complicated one, he's the player that splits our fanbase the most apart from N'Dombele. FWIW, I would sell Dele now but only at the right price, and as I don't think we'll get a good offer he should stay put for the meantime. Dele has real quality and you don't lose that overnight, but injuries (in my view) have played a big role in his loss of form. He's still intermittently good but is playing much deeper now and we have players who suit that position better than he does. Ideally he plays a free role like he did in 2015-17 when he was devastating, but the team has moved on and I don't quite know where he fits into our current structure or even where he can be played for best effect.

Dele could still have a role to play here but he's not quite right for whatever reason and hasn't been for some time - as fans, we can only speculate why that is the case. Eventually he may have to leave and try to restart his career somewhere else - and good luck to him on that one. We've certainly got more than our money's worth from him. He definitely does not deserve any hate from our fans.
Good post, couple of things though..

What would be the right price?

He hasn't lost his 'quality' overnight he's been poor for at least 2 years.

Good post, couple of things though..

What would be the right price?

He hasn't lost his 'quality' overnight he's been poor for at least 2 years.

I honestly reckon there's still a player in there somewhere SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs , I just don't really know where Dele fits into the team any more, especially given how we will be set up under Jose.

As for price, I would take £50 mil. I doubt we will get it because of the current market, so I'd keep Dele. Definitely wouldn't let him go for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom