Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mourinho told BBC Sport: "In the last minute he was pressing and sliding tackles, trying to stop attacks. When you want to win, you do everything for the team. There is no space for individuals or no space for prima donnas. Harry has this spirit and he is fantastic.

Dare I ask if he's talking about a certain someone we all know about?
Can Alli, having come from mk dons, be described as a prima donna.

Mourinho told BBC Sport: "In the last minute he was pressing and sliding tackles, trying to stop attacks. When you want to win, you do everything for the team. There is no space for individuals or no space for prima donnas. Harry has this spirit and he is fantastic.

Dare I ask if he's talking about a certain someone we all know about?

Danny Rose yeah?

Thing is mate does Jose plan on giving him enough opportunities to 'react' anymore ?.

He got time last week against LASK.

When Tanguy was on the shit list he was only on the bench to make up numbers. When we had numbers (just) he didn't even make the bench.

Jose wants to win. Regardless if our formation/style doesn't suit Dele, he has to want to win too. He has been coasting on his name for years now. Poch was very loyal to him and Jose gave him plenty of chances last season.

I'd say it hasn't got much to do with Jose and nearly everything to do with Dele. He can film himself slapping people on the back of the head or he can reinvent himself. I have a feeling he will need a transfer to another club to get a wake up call sadly. I hope he comes good for us.

Thought of the day for Dele :

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
1 Corinthians 13:11

I'd say it hasn't got much to do with Jose and nearly everything to do with Dele. He can film himself slapping people on the back of the head or he can reinvent himself. I have a feeling he will need a transfer to another club to get a wake up call sadly. I hope he comes good for us.

My concern with this is that it seems like a Danny Rose situation where Dele feels he should be going to RM or PSG when in reality he needs to go to Burnley or West Ham to learn fundamental skills and an understanding of the game that he does not have and has not worked on because I think things came very easy for him when Dembele, Eriksen and Kane did all the hard work for him and he just was able to clean up.

If you watch Dele closely he often doesn't know where to go, he struggles with passes because he struggles to read the game and where other players are going to go. He does the little flick on past defenders way too often because he can't see the more simple direct pass.

Someone earlier talked about Dele needing a system which allows him freedom and while I agree with that, it is more that he needs a system in which his poor positioning can be ignored and not hurt the team, and that is a very unlikely situation for him to find and if he isn't producing the big numbers he did earlier then it really cannot fit for any team.

I will not totally write him off for getting back close to what he was, but I don't see it happening for us and I don't see it happening unless he eats a huge piece of humble pie and is willing to not only work on the areas of the game he needs to improve but first admit that there are those areas and I am not sure he has done that yet, but that is based on watching him play and a few moments in the Amazon Doc so he certainly could have done that behind the scenes.

I dont think he fits in a Jose team, I love him but he slows the game down too much in key areas, I think he will be sold for 50 million or something around that area sooner or later.

If we can get 50 million for Dele I will gladly switch my vote from Levy out to Levy In.

That would be more impressive on its own than all of our transfer window business combined this summer.

There's almost always one player at every club Jose joins that he makes an example of, usually with good reason.

It may have been Ndombele but they've sorted that out.

Alli has not done himself any favours with his social media lifestyle and poor form hence it looks to be him.

Can't see a future for him here tbh.
I agree and will probably be shipped out to Fulham in January but I don’t accept that he was to blame for our decline going into the CL final
That was down to Poch

If we can get 50 million for Dele I will gladly switch my vote from Levy out to Levy In.

That would be more impressive on its own than all of our transfer window business combined this summer.
I’d take £30 million or £10 million plus Grealish

I think he peaked with his wonder goal at Palace....
That's about as good as he got!

Shame, there's still a player there, but if not, hey, at least we 'only' spent 5Mil on him, eh?

All this talk about Dele needing to work harder to prove himself are very simplistic.

The fact is he has been replaced by better footballers, that doesn't change regardless of how hard he works.

Gio and Tanguy are miles ahead technically and physically (Tanguy is bringing this now) and no amount of hard work is suddenly going to make Dele better than those two, especially given how the team is now set up.

In all his cameos this season I don't get the impression he's not trying but the fact is we now play a very different system and we have better players ahead of him.

He's also never been a game-changer off the bench so he doesn't have that card to play like Lamela does. Lamela also happens to be more versatile.

With a fully fit squad his minutes are very limited given these are our lineups:

Kane
Son Bale
Ndombele

Vinicius
Bergjwin Lucas/Lamela
Lo Celso

He will make a few EL appearances and then I'd imagine a loan in January.

I think he peaked with his wonder goal at Palace....
That's about as good as he got!

Shame, there's still a player there, but if not, hey, at least we 'only' spent 5Mil on him, eh?
I thought his wonder goal against the Chavs was better
Absolutely sublime
If only he’d trained on

I think the issue with Deli is that he was never the guy to track back, win headers in the middle of the park or make the pass before the assist; he was the finisher or the guy making the short pass for the assist. We arguably have as many finishers and assisters in our team then we have in donkey years so where does that leave him? I always though he was extremely slow when on the counter attack or trying to get the ball up the field. Lamela is someone else I can’t stand getting the ball when we’re 3 on 3 up front. If a manager can play to his strengths, he’s a menace to the opposition, but we’re a stronger team with out him. Would prefer to sell him in a Reguilan type deal and to a foreign club. Would hate to see him at another EPL side. Sell him for 30-40m with a buy back clause. 2 years is a long time in the football world as he’s still pretty young and who know if Mourinho will still be around.

He can’t go before January. He will get little cameo roles in the Europa league, let’s wait and see if he can put in some MOTM performances to force his way into the first team

Surely this is up to HIM .
Look I like Dele and was amazed by some of his tricks.
But I do not feel sorry for someone who earns 100K a week.
If he doesn't want to fight for his place, let's sell him for money that will buy someone who does.
His performances have got worse and when he does play, it doesn't seem like he is challenging for his place back.

Back
Top Bottom