Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s not possible. I keep reading about how hopeless he is.

56% of those goals came in his first two full seasons with us, and he average a goal every 2.5 games. In the last three seasons it was one goal to every 4 games. He had 26 assists in his first three full seasons with us and 7 in the last two.

His form was dropping rapidly for the last two years, he is increasingly absent from the squad, when he does make an appearance he looks lost, and we have insights that he probably isn't endearing himself by his flippant training.

I don't dislike Dele because of this, and a Spurs team with an in-form and productive Dele is far better than one without him in it. I'm not sure why someone can't acknowledge what he has done for us during his career with us, AND also accept that he is completely lost at the moment.

Whilst this table of Spurs all time Premiership League goal scorers is to Praise Kane it also highlights the contribution of Son & Dele.
150 - Harry Kane in 215 appearances (for Spurs)
97 - Teddy Sheringham in 236
91 - Jermain Defoe in 276
91 - Robbie Keane in 238
61 – Heung-Min Son in 168
51 - Christian Eriksen in 226
50 - Dele in 158
I don't think it's the end for Dele.

What does he have?

He has never been a good passer of the ball, never been a guy who tracks back or is good in defense, he isn't a guy who is hard to play against, he doesn't have a tremendous shot or is a risk from free kicks, he is at best adequate in the air.

At his best he was able to be a guy who could drift into wide open spaces and convert chances that came from others. I am not sure even at his best he created much on his own. I don't remember many games where he made insightful runs to get open or beat multiple guys to score (I am sure it happened just didn't seem to be a regular thing for him). I certainly don't remember many key passes, especially long passes that he made to create for others.
That last one against Ajax for Moura was tasty!

If you've been supporting Spurs long enough, you know Dele is a Spurs LEGEND.

If you grow up watching Iversen as your best Spurs player and getting excited at a 1 year stint from Klinsman to clinch midtable, you can understand how the person who got us an assist to send us to a Champions League final, scored 2 past Real Madrid etc.. deserves our time and patience.

It aint all about winning, I had more fun watching us fuck up a bunch of chelski bitches at the battle of the bridge then a flippin 2008 league cup.

GIVE THE BOY SOME BLOODY LOVE

If you grow up watching Iversen as your best Spurs player and getting excited at a 1 year stint from Klinsman to clinch midtable, you can understand how the person who got us an assist to send us to a Champions League final, scored 2 past Real Madrid etc.. deserves our time and patience.

It aint all about winning, I had more fun watching us fuck up a bunch of chelski bitches at the battle of the bridge then a flippin 2008 league cup.

Post more mate!

Go and watch kanes worldie against Woolwhich. Dele's contribution is the player people forget he was. It wasn't just the goals, the nutmeg and runs into space...he was hunger personified. He'd chase and commit snap into takels leave plenty on an opponent. He was initially very like a young Steven Gerrard. I honestly think he was coached out of his best position and best attributes. He is now just slow, he needs to be told to do everything in a half beat take a touch pass move, stop thinking your Ronaldinho you ain't.

a spurs legend for a decent 18 months out of 5 years?? jesus christ, one of the 'assists' in the semi final was moura just taking the ball off him to spare us from his pretentious shite.

he would get love if his attitude didnt stink the place out so much! lamela you could argue has underachieved since signing but hes loved by a lot of fans through his desire for the club to do well! dele only has desire for dele to do a nutmeg and get on a little poncy clip on soccer AM

a spurs legend for a decent 18 months out of 5 years?? jesus christ, one of the 'assists' in the semi final was moura just taking the ball off him to spare us from his pretentious shite.

he would get love if his attitude didnt stink the place out so much! lamela you could argue has underachieved since signing but hes loved by a lot of fans through his desire for the club to do well! dele only has desire for dele to do a nutmeg and get on a little poncy clip on soccer AM
I think you’re being a bit harsh

Rewatch our third goal against Ajax

LEGEND?

Nonsense.

The truth, as always, lays somewhere inbetween. He is a legend, but in the same way that Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou was. It's taking him an age to clean himself up. He's with us for now so I'm hoping his A-game's still in there. I do miss singing his name.

The truth, as always, lays somewhere inbetween. He is a legend, but in the same way that Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou was. It's taking him an age to clean himself up. He's with us for now so I'm hoping his A-game's still in there. I do miss singing his name.
I was about to write the same thing , minus the Lee Marvin reference

Back
Top Bottom