Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wasn’t saying this is a reason to stop us from selling him, just that we would need to bring in another Hg player , would bringing Skippy back count?
I believe it would but have no idea how he's been getting on at Norwich and won't take the word of any of the youth watchers because their always wrong. There's also Sessegnon getting some European and League games at Hoffenheim. My hopes would be more on him than Skippy at DM as that would leave us Winks and Skippy in the MF...little light.

I figured you did because in all honesty I don't think we are getting shit for him. I have been on the sell-Dele train for some time and mostly it was due to my low appreciation of his abilities and the potential money we'd get because people thought he was more than he is. You should always sell in that instance. In fact, I'm not against selling anyone at anytime if the price is right and the potential moves/players are available to improve us as a team.

Wish others would get to this place as well. But the shame is that the longer this goes on the more the memories of his former exploits will fade and we'll end up in a CE-type situation.

Cool. But I'd suggest you take in a game from way back and watch his full 90 minutes. Now I'm aware of the immense work and wonderful things he does out of focus of the cameras ( Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ) but just watch what happens in-focus. It might change your mind on what he would have to offer if he got his "form back". Take a peek at the ManU game from last season where he scored. He gets credit for having a good game because he scored but he was absolute garbage in that game. But again, off-screen I hear he was Pele ( Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ).

Chance we gotta take. And what he does for someone else shouldn't stop us doing what we need to do for us. He won't be going to any team 'above' us so it shouldn't matter.
He could play like dogshit for 88 minutes but score one and assist one for all I care really. It’s his numbers I miss. It’s his runs into the box and powerful headers at the back post. It’s goals against Chelsea and ManU.

I don’t see any of the midfielders, or even some of our attackers, coming near his goal and assist return when he was “playing well”.

He could play like dogshit for 88 minutes but score one and assist one for all I care really. It’s his numbers I miss. It’s his runs into the box and powerful headers at the back post. It’s goals against Chelsea and ManU.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that you and I fundamentally see the game differently. Putting that aside, how many backpost headers have there been? 2 against Chelsea and a couple here or there. REALLY? You believe a player is worth keeping around for ~5 backpost headers in 5 years?

In those other 88 minutes an actual footballer would produce real chances for others and they might even be more efficient at the backpost header game that enthralls you so. We could just go get Fellaini and things would really be on the up.

And I repeat, too much credit is given to the goal scorer and not enough recognition to the actual chance creation.

I don’t see any of the midfielders, or even some of our attackers, coming near his goal and assist return when he was “playing well”.
Welp, part of that is because MF should be creating chances and less focused on scoring them and the whole team would function better. Dele did what he did because he had nothing else...for the last 3 years we've seen the nothing else when we've asked him to do more. Judging MFers by goals is not a very reasonable thing to do as it sends you down the path of things like questioning Modric because "What's he do...he's got no goals in 'em".

If we want more goals then let's buy some more capable MFers and more dynamic attackers. What we shouldn't do is make ourselves less defensively secure and offensively inefficient by including Dele...because he rarely, if ever, "played well". He just got on the scoresheet. Get rid.

Last edited:
It's really quite odd that as we sit in 2nd with the longest unbeaten run in the country we still need to aggressively find a scapegoat - I include Mourinho in that 'we'

We have the joint 2nd longest unbeaten run in the country (with Norwich) - Peterborough however are 8 league games unbeaten.

We have the joint 2nd longest unbeaten run in the country (with Norwich) - Peterborough however are 8 league games unbeaten.
Thanks Totts as this realization completely frees us to go in two footed on our scapegoat. Someone has to answer for losing top unbeaten run place. If we were top then I would be keeping my powder dry. I'm sure Blanchflower Blanchflower will completely understand now.

If you looked at his social media and didn’t know who he was, you wouldn’t have a clue he even played football! Rarely anything about Tottenham, Pogba Mark II

True. I'd never have guessed.

Oh Millenianal boy that was a month ago! Come on play the game some media whore told him to post that too

Like back end of last season where we improved nicely when he was out the side, we have won a few games since that post in October without him strolling around wondering how to sell a cap

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that you and I fundamentally see the game differently. Putting that aside, how many backpost headers have there been? 2 against Chelsea and a couple here or there. REALLY? You believe a player is worth keeping around for ~5 backpost headers in 5 years?

In those other 88 minutes an actual footballer would produce real chances for others and they might even be more efficient at the backpost header game that enthralls you so. We could just go get Fellaini and things would really be on the up.

And I repeat, too much credit is given to the goal scorer and not enough recognition to the actual chance creation.

Welp, part of that is because MF should be creating chances and less focused on scoring them and the whole team would function better. Dele did what he did because he had nothing else...for the last 3 years we've seen the nothing else when we've asked him to do more. Judging MFers by goals is not a very reasonable thing to do as it sends you down the path of things like questioning Modric because "What's he do...he's got no goals in 'em".

If we want more goals then let's buy some more capable MFers and more dynamic attackers. What we shouldn't do is make ourselves less defensively secure and offensively efficient by including Dele...because he rarely, if ever, "played well". He just got on the scoresheet. Get rid.
I never said we should keep him around. I distinctly said that I’d like to if he can get his form and numbers back, but said I’d support the manager if he felt it was time to move on.

And there’s nothing wrong with looking back fondly at big moments in big matches is there? I’m not convinced Lucas Moira isn’t a competition winner, but I’ll watch his hat trick against Ajax over and over again. Nothing wrong with a bit of joy through nostalgia. Maybe I building my memory of Dele up to something that didn’t actually happen, but I recall him often being the difference in big matches. I’m bound to remember that positively.

But yes, we may see football fundamentally differently. I would love to play well, but I’d rather win above all else. And his goals and assists helped us do that many times.

I’m thinking you are just trying to bait me into an argument, but I’m not biting.

Oh Millenianal boy that was a month ago! Come on play the game some media whore told him to post that too

Like back end of last season we have won a few games since that post without him strolling around wondering how to sell a cap

It was 2 weeks ago. The last time he played.

Is he supposed to post photos of him sitting on a bench instead?

He has an even newer post than that one introducing him as 'Tottenham Hotspurs Dele Alli'

It was 2 weeks ago. The last time he played.

Is he supposed to post photos of him sitting on a bench instead?

He has an even newer post than that one introducing him as 'Tottenham Hotspurs Dele Alli'
I loved those ones in the summer with the David Brent style poses saying he was training they were hilarious!

Poch protected him but Jose clearly doesn’t rate him, seriously if his head has gone he can go play at PSG or something with the others as it will suit him and good luck to him he has been fantastic for us in the past

Spurs have to be on full tilt just to compete we both know that, and he doesn’t do that, Lamela even has shown him up for a while, we could use the money to improve CB somehow

Not really - unless you think losing games is a good thing

I think using a "haven't lost since the opening day" stat as a way of protecting him from criticism is a bit weak. Especially when you're then basing it off date as opposed to how many games, which is the ultimate reach.

If Jose is ever criticised it's because of our performances as a team. Just because we're not losing doesn't mean criticism can't happen. And Jose himself would be stupid not to criticise the players and some of their performances too.

We were scraping through and winning under Poch in his last full season despite performances being really poor before it caught up with us.

I'm pleased Jose has us relatively harder to beat. But being unbeaten since "12th September" will mean nothing in the long line of embarrassing Spurs praises if we cant pick up points where they matter. And there's alot of games that matter in the next month.

Back
Top Bottom