Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After yesterday, I'd be amazed if we ever saw Dele on a pitch for Spurs again. Especially in the league.
I mean, not to poke the collective bear in here but I have been cold on Dele for 2 seasons now so fine by me. I have been saying for a while now that he should be moved on.

"improved" We've improved from last season (Jose's first season) without a doubt but HE 'S set the bar so low it's hard not to have improved from it (Joint worst League position in over a decade, our lowest points tally in 12yrs, not getting into a 1/4 final or beyond for only the 2nd time in 15 seasons but we did get our first title challenge in a generation the other time we didn't get into a 1/4 final).

There's no evidence that we've improved from Poch's last season where we also got to a League Cup Semi-final and CL Final and finished in top 4 and we played really poorly that year. (We've only won half the League games we've played this season and we are currently on track/predicted to finish with 68pts this season, that total was bettered in all four of Poch's last seasons, we are closer to 13th spot that we are LFC at the top - Yes, this is an unpredictable season & I'm sure there are many more twists and turns still to be played out but in the cold light of day there is little evidence to suggest we are improved from Poch).
Don't disagree with all of this, there was obviously a period under Poch - I'd say from about 2016 'til about late 2018 - when we were genuinely excellent: both more functional and considerably more entertaining than we are now.

But I remember Poch's final full season in the league when the amazing run to the CL final papered over some very bad cracks, and by the time he went we had been weak in the league for a very long time. Honest feeling is this league season will pan out better than Poch's final full season but not as good as his best league seasons either, though it's difficult to gainsay. A trophy in any competition would make it an excellent season.

After yesterday, I'd be amazed if we ever saw Dele on a pitch for Spurs again. Especially in the league.
And now with Poch managing PSG, who were already linked with Dele? He may play for Spurs again but I'd be shocked if he's not gone in January at this point with Levy looking to get £40m for him in the summer.

The goal certainly wasn't Dele's fault. But if Jose is trying to improve Dele as a footballer then it's a fair criticism. He should've done better with that situation instead of aimlessly flicking towards Son.

The goal certainly wasn't Dele's fault. But if Jose is trying to improve Dele as a footballer then it's a fair criticism. He should've done better with that situation instead of aimlessly flicking towards Son.
Like Aurier should have done better with his brainfart against Leicester? Like Lloris should have done better against Crystal Palace?
He defended both of them and they led directly to a goal.
Don’t get me wrong, Dele could have done better but I don’t believe that he was entirely at fault for the goal and probably played the best he has done in a while. Then Mourinho pulls him off and throws him under the bus to the media, that will do his confidence the world of good 🙄

Don't disagree with all of this, there was obviously a period under Poch - I'd say from about 2016 'til about late 2018 - when we were genuinely excellent: both more functional and considerably more entertaining than we are now.

But I remember Poch's final full season in the league when the amazing run to the CL final papered over some very bad cracks, and by the time he went we had been weak in the league for a very long time. Honest feeling is this league season will pan out better than Poch's final full season but not as good as his best league seasons either, though it's difficult to gainsay. A trophy in any competition would make it an excellent season.
I'd say our form in 18/19 was very similar to our form now in that we were winning a lot of tight, quite dull games with the odd exception (then Chelsea 3-1, Everton 6-2, now United 6-1 and Southampton 5-2) . People forget we were up with City and Liverpool who were flying until early March, we then lost at Burnley and it fell to bits. Don't think this season to date is any better than 18/19 performance or stats wise. It may improve, lets hope so.

You know I love a good basketball analogy.

Alli is like a basketballer that has immense talent, say like Allen Iverson, but he loves the flashy side of the game more than winning so he finds himself at odds with a winning manager. Reason is because the manager wants him to try no-look passes less and keep it simple as he keeps losing the ball and causing turnovers.

The players that win championships excel at the simplest things.

He's a midtable level player that believes should be playing for Real Madrid. His overinflated ego and is struggling to come to terms with reality

It makes things even worse having a clueless, clown of a chairman that thinks Dele is a 100 millions quid player.

Hope there's a club out there stupid enough to offer silly money for him so we can invest back on midfielders that do midfielders things like Gio and Tanguy. Same goes for Winks, Sissoko etc.

You know I love a good basketball analogy.

Alli is like a basketballer that has immense talent, say like Allen Iverson, but he loves the flashy side of the game more than winning so he finds himself at odds with a winning manager. Reason is because the manager wants him to try no-look passes less and keep it simple as he keeps losing the ball and causing turnovers.

The players that win championships excel at the simplest things.

More like Stephon Marbury.

Very highly rated as a youngster. Had a few good seasons with a talented side playing excited basketball. Made All Star twice but never lived up to potential.

Might need to move to a different country to really find that love again.

Correction, YOU don't give a fuck. (There are many who do, but that doesn't really matter).

Stop trying to hide behind the skirts of others to make you feel better or more worthy. Or involve the comments of others who share your views as "most of us". You haven't got a clue if it's "most fans" or just a small percentage. Just state that YOU don't care, just as I've said: "I don't like".

nah, you are in the minority no doubt about it. Thank fuck most of us want it to change at Spurs. You carry on with your love for fancy football and winning fuck all because nobody agrees with you

Playing a ball to Lucas doesn’t come close to being a goal scoring opportunity.

If it was inside the area he might have a case. He was next to the centre circle.

Most likely outcome run 10 yards and give the ball away.
(Was the pass to play though. Pretty sure dele didn’t realise the other Stoke player was behind him. Which still isn’t good.)

More like Stephon Marbury.

Very highly rated as a youngster. Had a few good seasons with a talented side playing excited basketball. Made All Star twice but never lived up to potential.

Might need to move to a different country to really find that love again.
Great shout. Just mentioned Iverson because he truly had the ability to be mentioned amongst the likes of Kobe, Jordan etc. But he just didn’t win championships like the others. But boy could he play. Alli reminds me of him a little.

what was his madrid side like in 11/12? i cant remember but surely they must have played decent stuff to score as many goals as they did and rack up 100 points?
Fucking horrible. This was when Jose really started to turn ...... basically Barca were footballing wise unstoppable.... Jose went full full shithouse. He got them over the line but it wasn’t sustainable

for me he was never the same after Real

Play like Leeds? Score 2 and get served 6? Yeah, you are clueless about football. Leeds still think they are playing championship football. But here is the problem, if Jose was having us playing like Leeds and losing like they do, you would still moan for being 14th. And I don't think Levy would have been pleased either.
Leeds have a Championship defence right now with Koch & Llorente out and without an actual left back.

Leeds play very similar to Liverpool with Bamford’s role being similar to Firmino’s and Phillips’ role being similar to Fabinho’s. Even their full backs push high up in possession - just like TAA and Robinson.

The only difference is, Liverpool have better quality than Leeds. So his point about playing like Leeds a valid. Spurs could play that same style and be better than Leeds at it but just a little behind Liverpool.

People making this out to be a Mourinho/Dele issue like Spurs fans haven’t been slagging off Dele for his form for three years :pochrolleyes:

"improved" We've improved from last season (Jose's first season) without a doubt but HE 'S set the bar so low it's hard not to have improved from it (Joint worst League position in over a decade, our lowest points tally in 12yrs, not getting into a 1/4 final or beyond for only the 2nd time in 15 seasons but we did get our first title challenge in a generation the other time we didn't get into a 1/4 final).

There's no evidence that we've improved from Poch's last season where we also got to a League Cup Semi-final and CL Final and finished in top 4 and we played really poorly that year. (We've only won half the League games we've played this season and we are currently on track/predicted to finish with 68pts this season, that total was bettered in all four of Poch's last seasons, we are closer to 13th spot that we are LFC at the top - Yes, this is an unpredictable season & I'm sure there are many more twists and turns still to be played out but in the cold light of day there is little evidence to suggest we are improved from Poch).
The first part of your post is extremely disingenuous.

Yes, we finished 6th last year, but Jose took us from 14th to 6th, which is a pretty impressive improvement. The points total he achieved when he was here I think was 3rd or 4th, which would have made for a good season.

We were knocked out of the EFL Cup before he took over and while we did lose out in the FA Cup, he didn't have Harry or Sonny then.

The reality is Poch's performance over the last 18 months barring the CL final run was quite poor and Jose has improved us from that level. It remains to be seen if he will take us where he wants to go, but let's not be disingenuous about where we were last year.

This is what Jose was referring to:

The ball ends up with the Stoke keeper before the move that started the goal, so it would be like getting mad at Kane for giving up a goal kick. It's a bit ridiculous.

Agree harsh as fuck on dele but he’s his own worst enemy

even if the flick comes off... the receiving player is in a worse position than if dele just pushes it out of his feet and attacks the space

I like dele. I want him to come good

but his detractors have a reasoned point

Back
Top Bottom