Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The first part of your post is extremely disingenuous.

Yes, we finished 6th last year, but Jose took us from 14th to 6th, which is a pretty impressive improvement. The points total he achieved when he was here I think was 3rd or 4th, which would have made for a good season.

We were knocked out of the EFL Cup before he took over and while we did lose out in the FA Cup, he didn't have Harry or Sonny then.

The reality is Poch's performance over the last 18 months barring the CL final run was quite poor and Jose has improved us from that level. It remains to be seen if he will take us where he wants to go, but let's not be disingenuous about where we were last year.
What is in your words would be an improvement on 4th, a CL Final and League Cup semi-final be?

Dunno - Bale gets plenty of minutes (albeit in the B-team) and he’s like an unfit Daveed.

Robson forced Gazza to play better to get into the England team; Ginola was dropped from France for not tracking back and Hoddle was often overlooked in internationals (as was Le Tissier - similar(ish) type of player). The rights or wrongs are a discussion for another day, but there’s clearly a lot of managers don’t like to build a team around a ‘luxury’ player. -
Err robson was picking neil Webb and Steve hodge ahead of a potential works best player gazza

not his most finest moment

I want our players to be encouraged to take risks. I hate players to be asked to play without any risk. It's the cornerstone of my dislike to the dogshit we watch every week.

I would prefer to play like Leeds than like Jose's Spurs.
I agree with you Guido but that was terrible footballing intellect from someone who’s played 5 yrs top level football

that flick is ok if the risk / reward is valid

it wasn’t. It was a pathetic throw away flick in the middle of the park to a player in a worse position than him....... dele should get that out his feet and drive with intent .... it’s actually the easy more productive option

again I’m on deles side. He had a very good first half but that was juvenile and he’s got to start taking responsibility

it’s weird .... cos his flicks never came off when he was bang in form .... any sensible intellect would over ride ego and admit ‘I’m not very good at these’

Last edited:

Yes, we finished 6th last year, but Jose took us from 14th to 6th, which is a pretty impressive improvement. The points total he achieved when he was here I think was 3rd or 4th, which would have made for a good season.

We were knocked out of the EFL Cup before he took over and while we did lose out in the FA Cup, he didn't have Harry or Sonny then.

The reality is Poch's performance over the last 18 months barring the CL final run was quite poor and Jose has improved us from that level. It remains to be seen if he will take us where he wants to go, but let's not be disingenuous about where we were last year.

14th to 6th sounds impressive but i believe we were only 3 points or so off of 6th at the time, with three quarters of the season to play, so it's not really the achievement it's painted as.

Atm it's tight at the top with it all to play for, will we step away from the pack and challenge Liverpool or will we fall back and mix it up with Moyes' West Ham?

Season can go either way from here and with the way we have played so far it's anyone's guess

14th to 6th sounds impressive but i believe we were only a 3 points or so off of 6th at the time with three quarters of the season to play, so it's not really the achievement it's painted as.

Atm it's tight at the top with it all to play for, will we step away from the pack and challenge Liverpool or will we fall back and mix it up with Moyes' West Ham - up in the air whether we have a good season or not basically

2015-2018 was the best football the club has played in my near 30 years on this planet. We’ll always have those memories and I’m forever grateful to the players and manager for that.

However, those years were also the last time the like of Dele and Eriksen displayed the ability to be top footballers. Nostalgia won’t bring it back.

Any organization that solely rewards past performance will quickly sink. Hopefully PSG gives us a chunk for Dele and it allows Mourinho to invest in a player that fits his vision. For example, the Dele money could easily cover a Sabitzer purchase in the summer.

People making this out to be a Mourinho/Dele issue like Spurs fans haven’t been slagging off Dele for his form for three years :pochrolleyes:
Many times I’ve sat in my season ticket holder’s seat at White Hart Lane/Wembley/Tottenham Hotspur stadium surrounded by 60-80,000 people with the majority of them screaming with rage at Dele for giving away the ball cheaply. This isn’t new.

You're the one who said you'd prefer it if we played like Leeds.

Where exactly has it got them?
Yeah because it’s a facsimile across right... simple as that

he meant exactly like Leeds... and so exact to achieve the same points and season outcome

he wasn’t suggesting like Leeds as in the approach and playing style ethos then coupled with our greater finances and facilities to allow us to be a much greater version than the one that just came from the championship

I’m certain that’s not where the poster was going with on that

14th to 6th sounds impressive but i believe we were only a 3 points or so off of 6th at the time with three quarters of the season to play, so it's not really the achievement it's painted as.

Atm it's tight at the top with it all to play for, will we step away from the pack and challenge Liverpool or will we fall back and mix it up with Moyes' West Ham - up in the air whether we have a good season or not basically
I'm not saying it's that impressive honestly. The post I was responding to was making it seem like Jose set the bar at 6th and that the 2019/20 points total was entirely due to Jose.

My point is that looking at it that way is unfair because Jose took over a team with 12 GP that was 14th, so you can't judge him based upon the results of the full season.

The fairest assessment of Jose last season would be to say over the 26 matches he managed, we amassed with 4th most points.

I agree with you Guido but that was terrible footballing intellect from someone who’s played 5 yrs top level football

that flick is ok if the risk / reward is valid

it wasn’t. It was a pathetic throw away flick in the middle of the park to a player in a worse position than him....... dele should get that out his feet and drive with intent .... it’s actually the easy option

again I’m on deles side. He had a very good first half but that was juvenile and he’s got to start taking responsibility

it’s weird .... cos his flicks never came off when he was bang in form .... any sensible intellect would over ride ego and admit ‘I’m not very good at these’
Apart from his flicks have come off, by setting up Lucas's goals in CL semi-final for example!

They are high risk but when they do come off, no matter who the player is that's doing them, the oppo are usually so wrong-footed that the opportunity that follows is a big chance.

For balance I'm not advocating Dier or Toby or PEH or Sissoko to attempt this but I absolutely am for our number 10 in the middle of the park, I am for our attacking players, I am for Ndombele (who also gets caught in possession frequently whilst he's attempting to break oppo pressures).

Jose went out to Norwich. A team who had a -27 GD in the league. Relegated.

And when he came we were 2 points behind Utd.
After 1 match under him we were equal with them.

We finished 7 points behind them.........

Let’s not overdress last season up.

Apart from his flicks have come off, by setting up Lucas's goals in CL semi-final for example!

They are high risk but when they do come off, no matter who the player is that's doing them, the oppo are usually so wrong-footed that the opportunity that follows is a big chance.

For balance I'm not advocating Dier or Toby or PEH or Sissoko to attempt this but I absolutely am for our number 10 in the middle of the park, I am for our attacking players, I am for Ndombele (who also gets caught in possession frequently whilst he's attempting to break oppo pressures).
You’ve rightly so picked a well chosen example where it worked and a risk worth taking

let me ask .... do you think the sum of deles flicks have been a contribution positive for us ?

because for me I wish he’d either cut them out or be more selective when using them

My expectations for Jose this season are a top 4 finish, a cup win and a deep EL run (I can't say I expect him to win the EL as well, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't).
I wasn't asking for a prediction/expectation, I was asking for a definitive statement on what specifically constitutes as "progress" on 4th, semi-final of League Cup and CL Final all achieved in Poch last full season.

Jose went out to Norwich. A team who had a -27 GD in the league. Relegated.

And when he came we were 2 points behind Utd.
After 1 match under him we were equal with them.

We finished 7 points behind them.........

Let’s not overdress last season up.
I dont think last season was good but it was a lot better than where we were headed i think.

Many times I’ve sat in my season ticket holder’s seat at White Hart Lane/Wembley/Tottenham Hotspur stadium by 60-80,000 people with the majority of them screaming with rage at Dele for giving away the ball cheaply. This isn’t new.

There’s a reason why “FFS Dele” became a meme among Spurs fans long before Mourinho arrived.

The newfound respect for Dele is agenda driven. It’s also conveniently forgot that Mourinho was the one who brought him back into the lineup when he first arrived here and after an initial bounceback, Dele’s performance was found wanting again. It’s not like Mourinho didn’t give him a chance!

The real problem with Dele is he’s essentially a positionless player. When his form was top notch, Pochettino crafted a super unique second striker position for him, essentially building the tactics to fit him. However, when Dele isn’t playing well it completely unbalances the side as it did at the end of Pochettino’s time here.

I don’t know what has led to Dele’s drop in form and I don’t want to speculate but ultimately you have to stretch pretty hard to blame Mourinho, this is a many season trend.

I wasn't asking for a prediction/expectation, I was asking for a definitive statement on what specifically constitutes as "progress" on 4th, semi-final of League Cup and CL Final all achieved in Poch last full season.
Winning cups those cups would be progress. Poch helped us get a seat at the table, progress would be winning.

Back
Top Bottom