Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Never sa
Well we can only judge at end of season whats an improvement. If we win the league cup does that constitute an improvent on pochs 5 years in charge?
Probably not. But with a top 4 finish along with good el run and fa cup run it does.
The improvement measure I was searching for was on Poch's last full season, not his 5yr reign. He has to deliver 3rd and/or League Cup win + EL win to be considered an improvement (the football by us in this season wasn't that great aesthetically, so it's a fairly easy thing to assess, there no "feels" that come into it).

The improvement measure I was searching for was on Poch's last full season, not his 5yr reign. He has to deliver 3rd and/or League Cup win + EL win to be considered an improvement (the football by us in this season wasn't that great aesthetically, so it's a fairly easy thing to assess, there no "feels" that come into it).
Should be easy enough with a worse slower team than poch had 😂

But our centre halves are now older and lack pace. Walker and trippier gone. Rose out of picture. We dont have the pace and power of dembele and wanyama. Sitting back now is a product of that. Its well known that jose wants a pacey centre half. I dont we can afford players trying things that worked 3-4 year ago with different players around them
Jose has bought new players for every one of those positions you mention (is united with a player that he's coveted for years, Dier) and has one player widely talked about as a generational talent (in Nddomble).

But none of that really addresses the point and that is I believe attacking/creative players should be playing in an environment where they can play a higher risk pass in order to create opportunities to score from, rather than close down a creative player and encourage them to play safety first which result in bore fests.

well if the results dont happen he gets binned, like any manager. got to give him this season and then next season to really have a go though. surely counter attacking football is stomach-able for a couple years if the results are good. sick of spurs being seen as a soft touch, thats what is truly boring.
You would give another season to him at the end of this if he finished with no tangible improvement on the previous manager of 1.5yrs previous, Why?

BTW I love counter-attacking football, it can be exhilarating. What I can't stomach is us sitting back not wanting to do anything once we've scored a goal. What I hate is us not have a clue what to do when we come up against a side that also doesn't want the ball.

Fuck sake. I’m going to be on here for ages this morning. Five pages on Dele because he lost possession of the ball. Can only imagine how many pages there are on everyone else who didn’t have the perfect pass percentage. This could take a while.
Yup, both you and he are the real victims in all of this.

You would give another season to him at the end of this if he finished with no tangible improvement on the previous manager of 1.5yrs previous, Why?

BTW I love counter-attacking football, it can be exhilarating. What I can't stomach is us sitting back not wanting to do anything once we've scored a goal. What I hate is us not have a clue what to do when we come up against a side that also doesn't want the ball.
We’re not really a counter attacking team. We just defend deep ... mostly very well.... then smash it long to 2 world class players and hope they do the business

Another point on the issue. If Alli loses the ball and bursts a gut to get it back you won’t hear a bad word from Jose. But he just seems very casual and lackadaisical in his approach so I don’t feel too sorry for him. He should be a leader on this team by now, and not continuing to do his best Jlingz impression!

What has compounded issues for Alli is him maybe feeling entitled or maybe feeling Jose is “fucking with the wrong baller” etc.

You’ve rightly so picked a well chosen example where it worked and a risk worth taking

let me ask .... do you think the sum of deles flicks have been a contribution positive for us ?

because for me I wish he’d either cut them out or be more selective when using them
The sum of deles overall play will be a net positive for sure - do you think casting him aside for the odd flick that might get punished is worth losing out on the positives that he can bring?

This is a team where in the league outside of Kane and Son our next highest scorers have 1 a piece....

Yeah because it’s a facsimile across right... simple as that

he meant exactly like Leeds... and so exact to achieve the same points and season outcome

he wasn’t suggesting like Leeds as in the approach and playing style ethos then coupled with our greater finances and facilities to allow us to be a much greater version than the one that just came from the championship

I’m certain that’s not where the poster was going with on that

Then it was a pointless remark to say that he'd like us to play more attractive football.

No matter how attractive a team's style of play is, fans will never say no to the chance of it being even more attractive.

It's like saying:

'I'd prefer it if we had better players'

or

'I'd prefer it if we won more trophies'

or

'I'd prefer it if I won the Euromillions jackpot'

or

'I'd prefer it if I lived in a beautiful mansion'

or

'I'd prefer it if we lived in a world free of crime and war and we could all just get along'.

It's a completely pointless remark.

Utterly confused by the criticism of Dele. I watched back the game, I thought him and Kane were superb. Nothing wrong with the flick either. It went back to their goalkeeper for fucks sake.

Err robson was picking neil Webb and Steve hodge ahead of a potential works best player gazza

not his most finest moment
Yeh - that’s what I meant - he wouldn’t play him until he was literally so good he was impossible not to pick (and even then he went on to say he needed to learn how to pass to other players). Maybe wasn’t clear the way I expressed it: sorry.

The sum of deles overall play will be a net positive for sure - do you think casting him aside for the odd flick that might get punished is worth losing out on the positives that he can bring?

This is a team where in the league outside of Kane and Son our next highest scorers have 1 a piece....
No .... and as I’ll say again I’m in the for dele camp

doesn’t mean he shouldn’t improve

We’re not really a counter attacking team. We just defend deep ... mostly very well.... then smash it long to 2 world class players and hope they do the business
I certainly thought of us like this last season but, especially with Ndombele playing we have started to play through the thirds of the pitch and there is certainly some intelligent running and movement off the ball. But because are so one dimensional the oppo can, as Palace did so easily, cut off our attacks by blocking Kane/Ndombele, which then means we resort to lumping it.

With Gio out Dele has to be an option off the bench surely. He's really the only other attacking midfielder we have.

You don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face as they say.

I certainly thought of us like this last season but, especially with Ndombele playing we have started to play through the thirds of the pitch and there is certainly some intelligent running and movement off the ball. But because are so one dimensional the oppo can, as Palace did so easily, cut off our attacks by blocking Kane/Ndombele, which then means we resort to lumping it.
Yeah it’s a bit half hearted. We’ve shown we can play some great football and absolutely we have the players. It’s just that instead of focusing, working on, accentuating it, whenever it does become apparent, the leash is applied and it gets choked.

it’s like they can play that way despite mourinhos instructions .

addressing your point on the cutting off of Kane , Tanguy ..... we’ve plenty enough talent to find space make play and get them in the game

but it’s obvious there’s a clear favouring to go long rather than do this ...... and that has to come from management

it’s not my cup of rosy ... i think it’s a waste of good talent but if Jose makes it successful enough for trophies I’ll suck it up

flip side .... if it brings nothing .... how bloody grim

Does absence make the heart grow fonder? We havent seen anything of dele for 3 year but in our minds as weve seen so little of him hes the same person and player. He isnt. It seemed during the doc. that dier etc. his closest friends had moved on a bit from dele. Maybe grown up a little more. Maybe thats what dele needs to do. Also who do we drop him for?? Lucas, berg, all play wide we know he cant play there. Through the middle no 10 hell be taking up kanes space and isnt good enough on the ball
At moment impact sub is the best he can hope for to get jose interested in him again

Back
Top Bottom