Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does absence make the heart grow fonder? We havent seen anything of dele for 3 year but in our minds as weve seen so little of him hes the same person and player. He isnt. It seemed during the doc. that dier etc. his closest friends had moved on a bit from dele. Maybe grown up a little more. Maybe thats what dele needs to do. Also who do we drop him for?? Lucas, berg, all play wide we know he cant play there. Through the middle no 10 hell be taking up kanes space and isnt good enough on the ball
At moment impact sub is the best he can hope for to get jose interested in him again

I'd sooner have him in the team ahead of any attacker other than Son/Kane - Mourinho wants his third forward to be a defender tho so not going to happen. In the deeper 3 he can 100% play the more advanced position and seeings as Lo Celso is injured more often than not that gives him plenty of opportunity

With Gio out Dele has to be an option off the bench surely. He's really the only other attacking midfielder we have.

You don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face as they say.
If they performed well every week, why not? In terms of our current squad, Tanguy is more akin to those two than Dele is.

Dele skill set is very particular. He doesn’t offer the most on the ball so what he’s got to show is hard work in matches and TRAINING, in Mourinho’s mind, it seems Dele hasn’t showed him enough of it.

Mourinho’s teams of the past 10 years always had that one player that wasn’t the hardest working but couldn’t be dropped because they brillant when they had the ball. Think Sneider, Ozil, and Hazard or even Pogba who didn't always get along with Mourinho but always played. Dele's nowhere near them, unfortunately.

This is a whole another tangent:

Fans need to remember the headlines going into Mourinho's first game was, 'Can Mourinho get the best out of Dele Alli'. First bite of Mourinho we got was 'Are you Dele or Dele's brother?'

From what I'm seeing on social media, it's as if Dele was brilliant to the day Poch left and Mourinho has decided to never give him a look in at all. In fact, the opposite is true. Dele started all but one match until Project Restart. Once the season resumed, he played in a couple matches than was injured. In terms of performance when Mourinho got in, Dele was great for a 4-6 game stretch then went backwards again.

This season, he starts the first PL match against Everton gets hooked at halftime and is rarely seen again. In the meantime, we have Hojberg and Sissoko who formed a partnership Mourinho seems to like, that leaves one midfielder spot for Dele, GLC, and Tanguy. Up until last week, 'pretty football' enthusiasts aside, the season was going much better than how we'd expect and 99% of it didn't involve Dele. All of a sudden some are upset Mourinho made a comment on Dele's biggest criticism....?

Does absence make the heart grow fonder? We havent seen anything of dele for 3 year but in our minds as weve seen so little of him hes the same person and player. He isnt. It seemed during the doc. that dier etc. his closest friends had moved on a bit from dele. Maybe grown up a little more. Maybe thats what dele needs to do. Also who do we drop him for?? Lucas, berg, all play wide we know he cant play there. Through the middle no 10 hell be taking up kanes space and isnt good enough on the ball
At moment impact sub is the best he can hope for to get jose interested in him again
Was clear Eric had moved on

With the matches coming thick and fast we need all our players to play their part. Cannot see Dele getting on the pitch for some time and yet without son & Kane we are struggling to score. His misses were no worse than Bergwijn who was not criticised. To score you need to produce something special which only certain players can rather than just the safe pass which never creates a goal but pushes that responsibility to someone else. I do not think a misplaced pass in the centre circle with many players behind him is a major risk. What Winks did at the end of the Spammers game, what Aurier did against Leicester and what Foyth repeatedly did in the past dribbling out and losing posession are worse. I think Dele is not as good as Ndombele and Lo Celso in the more attacking midfield role but he is better than putting Sissoko there as happened yesterday. Whilst we do now have Lamela fit to play that role, Dele should be on the bench and stopping him trying something more difficult is wrong. He will get it wrong sometimes but as long as he does not take these risks near his own goal then ok.
To dare is to do.

This is what Jose was referring to:

The ball ends up with the Stoke keeper before the move that started the goal, so it would be like getting mad at Kane for giving up a goal kick. It's a bit ridiculous.

Only a complete idiot would blame Dele for the goal. The culprits are the defenders who did fuck all .

This is what Jose was referring to:

The ball ends up with the Stoke keeper before the move that started the goal, so it would be like getting mad at Kane for giving up a goal kick. It's a bit ridiculous.

I agree with your general point, but Lucas was in acres of space, running forward, and it was an easy pass to him.

I certainly wouldn't blame Dele for the goal, but I would blame him for losing the ball when we should of been breaking at pace, if he had played the easy pass.

I agree with your general point, but Lucas was in acres of space, running forward, and it was an easy pass to him.

I certainly wouldn't blame Dele for the goal, but I would blame him for losing the ball when we should of been breaking at pace, if he had played the easy pass.
I assume Jose said no flicks especially in our half.

Perhaps it is why he likes Winksy so much. Does what he is told reliably and had a better game with half as much talent. Probably the same could be levelled at Sissoko with even less talent than either of them.

The goal certainly wasn't Dele's fault. But if Jose is trying to improve Dele as a footballer then it's a fair criticism.
I’d say that’s moot. Dele’s game is about the flicks and tricks. If he removes them, he’s probably half the player. If Jose doesn’t want someone who does the tricks, I can understand why he doesn’t pick him. All the more reason he should leave.

As there is feck all on the telly I thought I would put in my two penn'orth.
It's hard to find any player NOT to blame for the goal.
Dele loses the challenge after he lost the ball, Dier loses the aerial challenge from the GK kick, Davies and Sanchez lose their men and then Sanchez makes his usual half hearted attempt to block the cross.
PEH loses his man and Hugo should have saved it.

Last edited:
Mou was determined to improve from last season poor defensive record. Last season with limited players he continued to give chances to individual errors. This season with options available he was bold. Stopped starting Dele after Everton poor showing, stopped starting Winks and Sanchez after west ham mistakes, stopped starting aurier after Leicester mistake, stopped stevie after liverpool misses. Message is clear. Result is we have the best defence.
When Mou first took over, his team selection was very attacking. As goals continue to be shipped, he modified. Keep a clean sheet first.

You have to wonder how players like Hoddle or Ginola would have fared under Jose.

Not very well is my opinion which some might find rather sad.

If Hoddle had been left out for any period of time I think Burkinshaw or Pleat would have lost the dressing room. Had José managed Hoddle he would surely have recognised how vital he was even if he has defensive tendencies. Not so with Dele as he isn’t in the same class.

I assume Jose said no flicks especially in our half.

Perhaps it is why he likes Winksy so much. Does what he is told reliably and had a better game with half as much talent. Probably the same could be levelled at Sissoko with even less talent than either of them.
😱😱😱

People making this out to be a Mourinho/Dele issue like Spurs fans haven’t been slagging off Dele for his form for three years :pochrolleyes:
100%
Dele has been shit for a while now. We just have a manager prepared to cast him out. We can all have different views on whether Mourinho is doing it the “right way” but it is the right decision. He’s played on reputation for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom