Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1 goal and 2 assists is the sort of return we need from our depth in games like this.

I think only 3 players have been involved in more goals than him this season. Which is a sad state of our other attacking players really.
Good attacking player involved in goals/assists is not a shocking statement.

And when the offense is designed to go through two players, it's hard for anyone to get into a rhythm.

He was good today

But cmon its Wolfsberger.

Nice to see he's getting goal contributions but I was more interested in what he did in his cameo at West Ham.

Spoiler - Nothing.

Because West Ham actually know how to defend and Dele can't function when teams take away his first and only option. Play him against the shit teams to try and trick teams into thinking he has value but keep him away from the better teams that expose him for what he is.

The games against lower level quality are perfect for him. They give him the time and space he needs so he can always go with his first option. They also offer no threat to punish us when Dele is completely out of position due to his inability to play within any structure at all.

When we face the bigger teams Dele struggles because they force him to make decisions and have to adapt to their defense and he is completely unable to deal with that. If you told me that Dele would be able to go with his first decision every time, sure I would be fine with him starting but that isn’t how it works in the PL and that is when Dele struggles.

Take this game for example, on his goal when Mee and Tarkowski are tight to him not giving him the space to try the over head kick does he realize this and smartly pass it off or force it anyways likely missing the kick or easily having it blocked by defenders who are in the right place? On the assist to Vini when Burnley comes up on him not giving him the time to get the pass in does he whack into them anyways or take his time to look for other outlets. In the past he would just hammer it into them and then hang his head or bitch out a teammate for not doing something.

Because West Ham actually know how to defend and Dele can't function when teams take away his first and only option. Play him against the shit teams to try and trick teams into thinking he has value but keep him away from the better teams that expose him for what he is.

The games against lower level quality are perfect for him. They give him the time and space he needs so he can always go with his first option. They also offer no threat to punish us when Dele is completely out of position due to his inability to play within any structure at all.

When we face the bigger teams Dele struggles because they force him to make decisions and have to adapt to their defense and he is completely unable to deal with that. If you told me that Dele would be able to go with his first decision every time, sure I would be fine with him starting but that isn’t how it works in the PL and that is when Dele struggles.

Take this game for example, on his goal when Mee and Tarkowski are tight to him not giving him the space to try the over head kick does he realize this and smartly pass it off or force it anyways likely missing the kick or easily having it blocked by defenders who are in the right place? On the assist to Vini when Burnley comes up on him not giving him the time to get the pass in does he whack into them anyways or take his time to look for other outlets. In the past he would just hammer it into them and then hang his head or bitch out a teammate for not doing something.
Yeah I agree the EL suits Dele very well

I've said for a long time that the best part of his game is his instinctive quick decisions.

It's when he has too much time it becomes a problem.
the goal he scored is through improvisation from a bad first touch. all the best players are lethal when you give them time on the ball..we have loads that are worse off with extra time.

Back
Top Bottom