Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I said in the match thread, Dele did well considering he hasn't started much in the league this season.

What we've missed most (which our other players don't seem to do much) is his movement across the flanks. He played as a no.10 but often today you saw him to Bale and Son's flank to help as an extra attacking option.

Dele put in a decent 6.5/10 performance.

Looked a bit rusty which is to be expected but he worked hard.

Needs regular game-time to get anything like a semblance of his old form back. We said the same about Bale and we'll probably end up saying the same about Tanguy or any player that goes months without starting games regularly.

Put in an effort without the ball which was nice, and surprising, to see but was terrible with the ball. Had one or two moments where he beat defenders but for the most part was awful.

Some of that will be down to him not playing much, but a lot of it is just him being bad.

Anyone writing off Dele just haven't a clue IMO. Dele has been poor and form dipped at a time everyone else did. He has hardly played for us in the last year after being put on a pedestal by Jose when he first arrived.

If you honestly think he's finished and won't go and bag double figure goals for another good team you're mistaken. If we had played him all year and we were still poor and he had no goals fair enough but to be played so infrequently and people expect him to just be brilliant. Look at Bale when he first arrived, man looked a shell of himself.

Dele in not match fit and has had his confidence shattered by firstly feeling guilt on Poch being sacked like the rest of the squad, then being put into the spotlight by Mourinho and despite starting well he was then targeted.

Expectations on this man is just way to high IMO and he's one of those players that for me is better when the players around him are doing their jobs. Look at Lingard at West Ham, bit of confidence and he's shining now. You're blind if you can't see Dele has no match fitness and shattered on confidence.

Don't know really. Looks good in patches and his attitude was much much better yesterday but a lot of his stuff doesn't come off nowadays. I would persevere as we won't get a king's ransom for him in the current climate. I think he could be decent again if he wants it, but I worry repeated hamstring injuries will stop him from reaching his previous ceiling.

If that's the level of expectation for players

Then Winks , Lamela and Bergwijn have had amazing seasons.

Seriously. He was pretty crap yesterday. Got better 2nd half but honestly he was not good.

Took too long on the ball then either lost it or turned backwards. He slowed down our play massively.
People have to accept he's no longer the player he was pre 2018. He'll have the occasional good game like all washed up players do eg. Willian. But when it comes to it he just isn't good enough. The guy has let social media , hairstyles etc dictate his life over football.

He's not good enough and I'd be glad to sell him.
If that's what we want from our number 10 , I'm worried.

Don't know really. Looks good in patches and his attitude was much much better yesterday but a lot of his stuff doesn't come off nowadays. I would persevere as we won't get a king's ransom for him in the current climate. I think he could be decent again if he wants it, but I worry repeated hamstring injuries will stop him from reaching his previous ceiling.
I wouldn't.
A lot of stuff won't come off tbh that isn't going to cut it. If you play that position you need to be threading good balls in behind etc. He was doing none of that.
A decent shift from him.
Decent? I know he's lowered the bar but decent?

I thought he was average or just a little below. Nothing more. It seems like when he's not terrible some people think it's a really good or great performance.

That's worrying . Our expectations for him have just fallen through the roof.

I wouldn't.
A lot of stuff won't come off tbh that isn't going to cut it. If you play that position you need to be threading good balls in behind etc. He was doing none of that.

Decent? I know he's lowered the bar but decent?

I thought he was average or just a little below. Nothing more. It seems like when he's not terrible some people think it's a really good or great performance.

That's worrying . Our expectations for him have just fallen through the roof.
Wrong.

Just play him for the last 4 games and see what happens. It's not like we have produced amazing team performances with our other midfielders, we don't have much to lose by giving Dele a little run here. And if he can produce something, we might rekindle a big player going into next season.

Back
Top Bottom