Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Too many people on here rate Dele. Why?
He's not been good since 2018

And yet loads of the same people will tell me Ndombele is crap and he needs to be sold. Get a grip.

People just have favourites 😂

People say class is permanent form is temporary

I'd say he was good from 2016-2018

He's been bad from 2018-2021.

That suggests to me that 2016-2018 was good form and now is the norm for him. He had some good form in Mourinho's first 2 months but that's it.

Mourinho banished him from the team and according to reports he was one of the player who Hugo was referring to in his interview.

I want this guy gone. He's not good and he's incredibly over-rated by our fans. Accept he was good in 2016-2018. He had some good form but now he's regressed and he has no form nor class.

I think I pointed this out that he presses very effectively from the front, glad to see stats backing it up.

He was bound to make a few stray passes after such a long time off, but offensively he was much better than anyone of making the right runs and being in the right position.

Our attacking shape looks good with him in the side.
He's always been one of our main pressers. I guess it's taken for our press to completely disappear and now see it come back under Mason (vs Southampton and Shef Utd) for some people to see it. For others and there are fucking loads on here as evidenced by their posts, they really don't get pressing at all, they still think it's closing down a player as they did when they played football under Mr Briggs their Geography teacher back in 1987.

Same with thrid man runs, haven't got a fucking clue, they follow the man on the ball, that's it. No concept of what any of the other players on the pitch are doing.

He has always misplaced passes and he will continue to do exactly that, this is the nature of a player that is always looking to play the high-risk pass, or is always the player that has to play the ball under the most pressure. But because he misplaces a pass this is what they fixate on. Once they see it, it's all they ever see. All they then need is a sprinkle of Jose PR to complete the confirmation bias. (Go look at Aurier, Ndombele, Bergwijn threads to see this played out in practice. I'd also add that Dier gets it to uncessacerily, have you noticed how much better our defence is defending under Mason, I will include the City game here too, our two CB's have been fantastic in all three games. Now compare and contrast these performances under Jose, him having us sit back to allow the oppo to have the ball, have momentum, gain confidence, control and ultimately allow them to attack constantly, having the defence to work under the highest pressure and ultimately conceded and then have the audacity to chuck them under the bus, which then just gave the green light for a pile on).

Jose has conned vast sections of this fanbase into believing that we are shit, that the players are shit, that the players are lazy. In just two games we've seen a totally different Tottenham, that whilst far from perfect we've shown that this team can play a bit.

Last edited:
He's always been one of our main pressers. I guess it's taken for our press to completely disappear and now see it come back under Mason (vs Southampton and Shef Utd) for some people to see it. For others and there are fucking loads on here as evidenced by their posts, they really don't get pressing at all, they still think it's closing down a player as they did when they played football under Mr Briggs their Geography teacher back in 1987.

Same with thrid man runs, haven't got a fucking clue, they follow the man on the ball, that's it. No concept of what any of the other players on the pitch are doing.

He has always misplaced passes and he will continue to do exactly that, this is the nature of a player that is always looking to play the high-risk pass, or is always the player that has to play the ball under the most pressure. But because he misplaces a pass this is what they fixate on. Once they see it, it's all they ever see. All they then need is a sprinkle of Jose PR to complete the confirmation bias. (Go look at Aurier, Ndombele, Bergwijn threads to see this played out in practice. I'd also add that Dier gets it to uncessacerily, have you noticed how much better our defence is defending under Mason, I will include the City game here too, our two CB's have been fantastic in all three games. Now compare and contrast these performances under Jose and him chucking them under the bus just gave the red light for a pile on).

Jose has conned vast sections of this fanbase into believing that we are shit, that the players are shit, that the players are lazy. In just two games we've seen a totally different Tottenham, that whilst far from perfect we've shown that this team can play a bit.
Agree, I’ve said it countless times in the Mourinho thread, the problem is not the players, it’s the manager and his excessively defensive tactics.

He has always misplaced passes and he will continue to do exactly that, this is the nature of a player that is always looking to play the high-risk pass, or is always the player that has to play the ball under the most pressure. But because he misplaces a pass this is what they fixate on. Once they see it, it's all they ever see. All they then need is a sprinkle of Jose PR to complete the confirmation bias. (Go look at Aurier, Ndombele, Bergwijn threads to see this played out in practice. I'd also add that Dier gets it to uncessacerily, have you noticed how much better our defence is defending under Mason, I will include the City game here too, our two CB's have been fantastic in all three games. Now compare and contrast these performances under Jose, him having us sit back to allow the oppo to have the ball, have momentum, gain confidence, control and ultimately allow them to attack constantly, having the defence to work under the highest pressure and ultimately conceded and then have the audacity to chuck them under the bus, which then just gave the green light for a pile on).

Mr Briggs for new manager. The campaign starts now.

Last edited:

We were terrible 1st half against Southampton and came into it once they tired and Ings went off injured.

We got dominated for 90 mins by City and only conceded one by sheer luck.

We put 4 past the worst team in the prem. Everyone beats them. We also put 4 past Burnley and Palace in recent history. Our issue weren't fixed then and they aren't now.

Lets wait for a bit more evidence before we jump to the conclusion that all our players are amazing! And Dele misplaces passes because passing is hard ya know.

We were terrible 1st half against Southampton and came into it once they tired and Ings went off injured.

We got dominated for 90 mins by City and only conceded one by sheer luck.

We put 4 past the worst team in the prem. Everyone beats them. We also put 4 past Burnley and Palace in recent history. Our issue weren't fixed then and they aren't now.

Lets wait for a bit more evidence before we jump to the conclusion that all our players are amazing! And Dele misplaces passes because passing is hard ya know.
What has any of that got to do with Dele?

It seems simplistic but yeah, this. When he joined he had an air of determination, I don't think he was ever as technically gifted as many wanted to believe but his attitude made up for any deficiencies.

Now he has the air of a pillock that wants to fart around.
I’m not sure I agree with that. He always looks in top top condition, so he’s obviously working hard on fitness and diet etc. By farting around, you mean the light hearted stuff? No bad thing in a dressing room IMO, look at what Gazza did for team
morale (granted he didn’t look after his fitness / diet).

a good coach would get a lot more out of Dele. His finishing and reactive thinking in the box are excellent, he also nicks the ball well through quick feet and turns the ball over.

when he drifts into the middle third it unravels.... sloppy (risky) passing, losing the ball etc. Drill him to play percentages in the middle third and explode in the final third. Will never be a good midfielder

If it’s a choice between him and Ndombele for the furthest forward position in a midfield three then I think you go with him for the goals and assists he has produced in the past. But does he have that consistency? Does ndombele?

You first go all out and explain how people are looking things in overly simplistic fashion, and it should not be done.

And then you don't do just 180 degrees but more like 2x360 degrees and 180 degrees on top of that, and claim that it was all just Mourinho. Player are actually great champs and this is rejuvinated team we are seeing now. And you base this on performances against long-ago relegated team + narrow win over team that is also in bottom 25% in the league. While against City the whole collective was appallingly pathetic. Drenched in loser mentality. No courage. No fight. It was an absolute horrorshow.

What. The. Fuck.
Dele was very-very average and part of things absolutely falling apart in Poch last 12-18 months. 2018/19 saw massive drop in output from Alli. But hey, it is all Mourinho effect, right! Guess Dele saw him coming for a while.
I would not even go into Bergwijn issue again. I have lost count on times I've read laughable claims like he wouldn't be instructed to attack or whatnot. His attacking performance has just been poor. He has not been able to find a net throughout the season, and some are desperately trying to claim that it has been fully down on Mou and his instructions. That sounds so extremely unrealistic.
What consideres Ndombele - he was in and out. As was he under Poch. In start of Mou reign he got some critique. At some point this season he was unplayable and undroppable - played some brilliant football. Yet at the end of Mou era, he faded badly again. So with him as well - jury is still out there, and I find that his personal performances in last 2 months of Mou time also deserve some criticism, while his peak-form - also under Mou - deserves praise.

In regards of Dele - I will not say 100% this nor 100% that. I hope he starts contributing to team success in the future. That would be welcomed to me as a Spurs fan. At the same time I also understand that his skill-set and way of playing have some major flaws as well. It can still go one way or another. But to claim that his weak performances in past 3 (!!) seasons would be down on Mou, who was here for less than 1,5 seasons - does not seem to be a balanced opinion.

If it’s a choice between him and Ndombele for the furthest forward position in a midfield three then I think you go with him for the goals and assists he has produced in the past. But does he have that consistency? Does ndombele?

If you put it like this, I would say that against stronger side I would use Ndombele, cause it could help to control the ball better and keep the ball in attacking area, while he as well can have a incredible moments of magic in him. Plus as it is generally hard to get ball off him, it might give us some dead-ball situations in good positions.

But against lesser sides where we have to focus less on their attacking ability (hence, can afford to give ball away more often) and who approach the game more conservatively (hence, we need to play more high-risk-high-reward passes) we could use Alli.

We're very quick to criticise players ability, but we know he can play.
Maybe his problem is something else entirely.
Danny Rose anyone? Maybe he needs some help rather than being dropped and criticised.
Maybe he'll come back stronger. Maybe he's David Bentley mk2

I actually enjoyed Dele's performance on Sunday. One touch passing, tried things others wouldn't, made runs other's don't see and put himself about. Nice to see him play with a bit of freedom.

Back
Top Bottom