Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Clean slate (again).
For me at least there was enough to show he was a great player. Either misused or self abused (or both?) but he’s still Spurs. And I’m ready to give him a season to show he is what we all thought he was and what some of us think he still can be.
Dele will shine this year.
One down, 37 to go Dele my boy.
You can be that player again.
:allitongue:

last, last chance saloon? maybe something clicked with Nuno? either way, win win win....
I think his supposed seriousness this off-season is an indication of a bit more maturity and a recognition he can’t just skate by on his talent.

As for Nuno, it’ll all come down to how he sees him tactically. Dele’s a unique player and doesn’t necessarily fit in every side. Will be interesting if he continues to see him as a fit in the 4-3-3 after the transfer window and if Lo Celso and Ndombele get back into contention.

Must have turned over possession 5/6 times today, top performance. Fair play to him, he's come back in great shape. Hopefully he can kick on now and get back in the goals.

Good to see.

At his best Dele was always up on the most ground covered list.

Needs to stay busy to mentally stay in matches. Let's see if he can back to his story ways

Looks like someone has finally got through to Dele that he isn't Messi or Modric, he's a workhorse with the added ability to create moments of magic as well ... he's not a magician who doesn't need to do the leg work.

If he plays and trains with that mindset he will do just fine.

Well, this is awkward for the Dele haters

'Dele Alli covered more ground than every player on the pitch with the highest average speed'
Just because someone doesn't share your opinion of a player, does that make them a "Hater"? He worked hard today, so credit is due, and let's hope he can be a productive part of the team all season.

They say the human mind is still developing and you only reach a matured version of yourself once you age over 25.
Dele turned 25 in April. I think he's just grown up a bit at last and is taking his career more seriously.

Something clicked that being a 'nut meg king' doesn't get you as far as hard work he can see players like Kane putting in around him.

Unless I missed them, I didn't see his petulant arm throwing tantrums he usually give us. Ran a lot, worked hard, deserved to be out there 90 minutes.

Not sure you all understand his position. He is a team player some might think he is a match winner. New team new strategy new player. Dele Alli is part of it.

'Dele Alli covered more ground than every player on the pitch with the highest average speed'

Look he did well today as did everyone else, but I seem to remember him having a new manager bounce when El Dino took over which didn’t last. You would do well not to get carried away and make derogatory comments about fans who rightfully have been calling out Dele for some time because you may well end up with egg on your face. Let’s see if Dele can do it when the chips are down and those around him are perhaps not playing as well as they did today. A good start for him nevertheless

Once again, the one game analysis and suddenly we have a new Alli. You know what I hope so.

I am more inclined to wait to see how the coming weeks and months pan out before lavishing praise or of talking of a new dawn.

We know the bloke has talent and he used to run like Billy-o as well as scoring some quite incredible goals, so at his fittest he is damn fit and super instinctive.

I won't however be taking to the streets just yet but every club of our size needs characters and character.

Alli may get there again but there is a very long way to go before he climbs back up to the summit.

Last edited:
It's strange.

Dele actually broke into the team playing in a 2 with Eric Dier with Dembele in the 10 role. Although not fantastic on the ball, his pressures, box-to-box running and ability to arrive in the box made him one hell of a player.

After scoring a few goals, Poch swapped Dele and Moussa over. But he never became a #10 as such, which always remained Eriksen's role - but more of a dynamic box-to-box player.

I remember when he first arrived there were some stories about how he was the bleep test king in the preseason. When a player has a knack for scoring there's a tendency to just "put them closer to the goal", but It looks like Nuno has gone back and looked at Dele and thought about the kind of player he was when he was successful...he was a runner, and Nuno said as much in his press conference.

Dele when he is fully fit is a fantastic athlete and I think that's what Nuno sees in him. He described him as a "runner" after the game and playing him in this 433 makes the best use of that.

For too long we used Dele as this guy who floats around the last third, backing into people on the edge of the penalty box, it doesn't let him use his stride and his power and if the team struggles to find him or he gets doubled up on he gets frustrated quickly. Playing him in the central midfield puts him in the thick of the action, Dele has always enjoyed the scrap and I think he will enjoy playing this position. He can still arrive late to the box to score goals but he will not be expected to unlock defences in tight spaces. If he keeps working as hard as he did yesterday then he is going to turn his career around.

Not really, as you could see a change in demeanour today, the past 24months he’s looked like someone whose balance and running power was shot (in terms of being the old Alli). Today the potential was back as he did those things you highlighted, but it was a start in new era against City and crowd to pulse him on, let’s see if he can put the same in week in…

Promising though.

I think having a competent manager who knows how football is played helps him immensely on the mental side, but I don't think there was a lot wrong with Dele the player in the past few years. He was asked to play deeper in the late Poche teams because Dembele was gone. That changed role meant people thought he had lost something. Mourinho just didn't know how to use him, because he didn't know how to coach football players. Dele's angry quote in the Amazon doc said it all.

Back
Top Bottom