Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was talking about contribution, not distance covered.

If it's all about distance covered then maybe we should sign Mo Farah.

Contribution and influence at this level is more about talent though.

I’ll agree with anyone who suggests that Dele is not as talented as we thought.

I did however get a chance to see his stats from last season a few months ago and his drop in output is not down to a lack of effort.

You don’t run that much if you can’t be arsed to put in the effort, he’s just not as gifted as we had hoped.

Btw in 17 premier league games this season he has 7 goals and 3 assists. Other attacking mids of rival teams include:

* Ozil with 0 goals and 1 assist in 14 games

* The amazingggggg1111 James Maddison with 6 goals and 3 assists in 23 games.

* The super dooper 'how did we not sign' Jack Grealish with 7 goals and 5 assists in 23 games.

* The future English messiah Mason Mount with 5 goals and 2 assists in 24 games.

Instead of having wank sesseions about other teams players and hardons every time Alli plays a bad pass how about you support a player that always gives 100% and is completley commited to the club to the point that he recently signed a new contract and seems to love the club. He is gonna be here for the foreseeable future (and probably as a starter) so get behind him and stop collectively cunting him to the point it looks like you enjoy when he does bad.

It's fantastic. I just wish that more was shown of the second match against Minnesota Fats.

I also thought Piper Laurie's performance was a bit shaky.
Have you read the book by Walter Tevis? It’s superb. I bought a first edition (UK publication, Michael Joseph) years ago. It’s worth a few quid now. If you haven’t read it I’d definitely recommend it. The description of the pool hall, where he plays Fats, is one of the best pieces of descriptive writing I’ve read.

“Fat brass spittoons”. Brilliant.

Agree with both those points.

There were two things about the film that didn’t make much sense to me and they were both about the money.

First question: How could Bert Gordon have made enough from Eddie’s first match with Minnesota Fats to have paid for two expensive cars?

The only money that could have been made would be what Eddie brought to the match, which I think was $4500, and that would have been split between Gordon and Minnesota Fats.

Second question: How much money did Fats lose in the second match???
He was gambling $3000 a game. He didn’t know that Eddie was going to be there that night, so I doubt he had tens of thousands of dollars on him.

How would he get more money during a game?

Contribution and influence at this level is more about talent though.

I’ll agree with anyone who suggests that Dele is not as talented as we thought.

I did however get a chance to see his stats from last season a few months ago and his drop in output is not down to a lack of effort.

You don’t run that much if you can’t be arsed to put in the effort, he’s just not as gifted as we had hoped.

If he's not as talented as we thought then how was he able to consistently perform better than he is currently doing for at least 2 seasons?

Maybe he lost some of his drive and determination and began thinking less on the pitch and started going through the motions more.

In other words, he may have got a bit lazy...

There were two things about the film that didn’t make much sense to me and they were both about the money.

First question: How could Bert Gordon have made enough from Eddie’s first match with Minnesota Fats to have paid for two expensive cars?

The only money that could have been made would be what Eddie brought to the match, which I think was $4500, and that would have been split between Gordon and Minnesota Fats.

Second question: How much money did Fats lose in the second match???
He was gambling $3000 a game. He didn’t know that Eddie was going to be there that night, so I doubt he had tens of thousands of dollars on him.

How would he get more money during a game?

Bert was already wealthy, and to answer your point about Findlay (the other day) he heard about him through his horse racing circles. I think the fact he was unaware of his choice of game added to the tension.

About the money? - didn’t Eddie win the first game in the second match? A game he had to win. If he lost there would have been no film, so I’ll give them that. Fats was portrayed as the number one pool player in America. If he’d had a cash flow problem it would have diminished his status. Your points are fair, but a film has to be made.

Bert was already wealthy, and to answer your point about Findlay (the other day) he heard about him through his horse racing circles. I think the fact he was unaware of his choice of game added to the tension.

About the money? - didn’t Eddie win the first game in the second match? A game he had to win. If he lost there would have been no film, so I’ll give them that. Fats was portrayed as the number one pool player in America. If he’d had a cash flow problem it would have diminished his status. Your points are fair, but a film has to be made.

I think someone like Gordon (who felt information was power) would have made sure he knew that Findlay was a pool player before arranging a match.

In the second match with Fats, Eddie bet all the money he had so he had to win the first game but as he wiped the floor with Fats then Fats would have had to cough up $3000 for every game he lost.

This would have run into tens of thousands of dollars - money he would not be carrying around especially as he had no idea that Eddie would turn up that night.

I think someone like Gordon (who felt information was power) would have made sure he knew that Findlay was a pool player before arranging a match.

In the second match with Fats, Eddie bet all the money he had so he had to win the first game but as he wiped the floor with Fats then Fats would have had to cough up $3000 for every game he lost.

This would have run into tens of thousands of dollars - money he would not be carrying around especially as he had no idea that Eddie would turn up that night.
Fair enough, but it was a film, not a documentary. Read the book - films always take liberties with the book.

In sport, I've always felt that the word 'enigma' is a euphemism for 'lazy' and I think that applies here.

I get the impression that Dele thinks he's a mercurial talent who can turn a game on its head in an instant, a flick here, a flick there and his job is done - meaning he doesn't have to do much the rest of the time.
You can accuse Dele of a lot of things but lazy isn’t one of them.

Lads please stop, the Tottenham section is reserved for boring, insipid analysis, revisiting all the same themes again and again as we rely on 11 overpaid morons for happiness in our empty lives

These have been easily the most insightful posts in this area in last 6 months, thank you

Lads please stop, the Tottenham section is reserved for boring, insipid analysis, revisiting all the same themes again and again as we rely on 11 overpaid morons for happiness in our empty lives

These have been easily the most insightful posts in this area in last 6 months, thank you
I play pool regularly on an American size table. I like straight pool, but 9 ball is taking over.

“I’m shooting pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot”

Back
Top Bottom