Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We’re not far away from it being 4 years since the infamous Palace goal....

The comparisons with Muller style are fair, but missing his drive.

I don’t see Dele in a 433. But Jose could spring a 352 or keep the former 4231 - both I can see Dele in, if he’s on it.

my fear, which a few seem to share, is he represents the Poch era very well, has massively stagnated, would benefit hugely from a change of scenery and will almost certainly come good again.

Jose got him purring early, but that has not stuck.

I felt like we may have to sacrifice someone this summer.... Dele could still be that man.

I’m relieved RM passed up on Dele. Think people here need to give Dele some credit. He’s declined for sure and is in a slump but who isn’t? He is still one of our more creative players and still young. You can’t give up on this kind of talent so early.

Sometimes it’s not giving up on a player but letting him regain form elsewhere. Change on scenery, new players and coaches could help Alli. He seems stuck and hasn’t progressed in the last couple seasons. Loan him or sell him for a decent return. Could be beneficial for him and us at the same time.

He needs to permanently covert himself into a striker, a number 9. He knows how to score, is very good with his head, he could be a very decent centre forward. As a midfielder he is finished imo

He simply isn’t very good with his head. Yes he got a brace of headers against Chelsea but that was a long time ago. Simply far too slow and cumbersome to be a number 9 and certainly not clinical enough

I’m relieved RM passed up on Dele. Think people here need to give Dele some credit. He’s declined for sure and is in a slump but who isn’t? He is still one of our more creative players and still young. You can’t give up on this kind of talent so early.

When does he stop being young? He has played over 300 times, most of which have been in the PL so he is unlikely to get any better

I feel like Mourinho started out that way, and got a good reaction from Dele, but then he returned to his poor form. I think Mou will take a tougher line with him now. Does he want to be a top player or not? Top players do not get hooked at HT and accused of being lazy. He needs to shape up. We have indulged him for too long, he needs some real talk now. He's still very young and can easily get his career trajectory back on track if he works harder.

It was very alarming to me that Dele apparently had a big reputation within the club for being a lazy trainer, Poch should never have allowed things to reach that point.
Especially as Pochetinno always had that "you are paid to train" mantra

Abandoned by his father at birth, raised by an alcoholic single mother until she couldn't cope and handed him around different relatives before he was de facto adopted at 13.
Yes, the guy has had a really charmed life.
:harrysmile:
Maybe thats part of the problem. He was a kid that had nothing and he's gone to a position wheres he's never gonna want for anything again. As a general rule he doesn't seem to be an off field trouble maker, so maybe he used up all his mental/emotional energy getting to where he is now and after his form slipped had nothing in the well to get back up

Has the opportunity to be one of the greatest players since the premiership started . Sadly he seems happy to just be & believes his own Tiktok hype.

I said it before last season we got those last 4 wins and a draw when he was on treatment table

He needs to sort it out, or does he? like all of these players they are on a fortune anyway, is there anything more to be added when the tweens love him anyway for being good in a gif

The trouble is he is a Mourinho nightmare, we need effort tracking back then fast counter attacks, he doesnt do either as will always take a touch too many, at least 3 occasions last season Lamela came on for him and looked much better in this system.

He simply isn’t very good with his head. Yes he got a brace of headers against Chelsea but that was a long time ago. Simply far too slow and cumbersome to be a number 9 and certainly not clinical enough
Imo the best he can hope for is being a Calvert Lewin type of centre forward

Tried that last year when Kane and Son were out and it didn't work. He struggles to play with his back to goal and doesn't have the pace to get ahead of the last man. Not a good combination.

There is a massive difference between being a temporary fill in centre forward and actually working on the training pitch full time and permanently converting yourself to that position. He has to make that decision, stick to it and work at it. If not and he remains a midfielder he is in trouble and his career will just go backwards

Imo the best he can hope for is being a Calvert Lewin type of centre forward
We would be blessed if he was ever as good a centre forward, as Calvert lewin. He is a box to b box goal scoring midfield player. He was Frank Lampard but unlike Lampard he never worked on more than putting the ball in the net. He never honed the eye for a pass, or on timing runs to make space for others. He failed himself and the clubs coaches under Pochettino failed him.

We are short of players that score regularly especially when faced with injuries last season. Beginning to look like we are not getting a back up striker but with Bale coming in instead. We need to keep all the options including Dele to be successful. Kane, Son, Bale, Bergwjn, Moura, Dele is not too many. With Lo Celso, Lamela and Ndombele in the mix as well.
He was 3rd highest Goal scorer last season ahead of Moura, Lamela etc.

Maybe thats part of the problem. He was a kid that had nothing and he's gone to a position wheres he's never gonna want for anything again. As a general rule he doesn't seem to be an off field trouble maker, so maybe he used up all his mental/emotional energy getting to where he is now and after his form slipped had nothing in the well to get back up

Picking the balotelli route then. Difficult childhood and then could never rise above that really apart from brief spells of brilliance.

Players like zlatan on the other hand use these childhood struggle experiences as fuel to burn the passion for their on-field displays

Picking the balotelli route then. Difficult childhood and then could never rise above that really apart from brief spells of brilliance.

Players like zlatan on the other hand use these childhood struggle experiences as fuel to burn the passion for their on-field displays
One gets the impression that Zlatan has always had self belief to burn. Dele might not have that natural self conidence/arrogance. Remember, we are all different

Back
Top Bottom