Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Save it, Guido. You've lost all credibility in this arena after going months upon months of pushing back with stats and other BS while defending yourself against the "shiny objects" charge. It's all about the goals with you and anyone else that backs this player that has been shit for 3+ seasons. He's no longer worth it while we have actual footballers available to do the footballing stuff. Hopefully the January TW will rid us of this distraction. 10 more caps.
And this is what confirmation bias looks like in full flow.

The problem of holding a confirmation bias is you only see what you want to see. You focus purely on the pass that didn't complete, it manifests within, eating at your soul. We simply were more fluid and kept the ball higher up the pitch in part to him being on the pitch.

There is zero point going analytical on a Europa League group game as they are nearly always shit to watch on account of multiple factors both on and off the pitch. When he came on he played well, made some nice passes (a couple of poor ones too), should have scored following a beautifully timed run. Laid off a difficult 1st-time ball that was played behind him from Vinicius for Son to blast over the bar.

Not worth breaking down any more than that in what was a routine win, where we were kinda comfortable in slow tempo, unconvincing, not sure how we really played kinda way. Move onto the next EL game for no doubt more of the same.
Spot on, if you scroll through the in-match posts from the first half (probably the second too, I couldn't be arsed to do that at FT) you will see the unabated howling of dogs abuse at Winks, even though we were winning 2-0, were controlling the midfield and he was having a good match (as Jenas noted).

He could have discovered the Covid-19 vaccine, solved the Israel-Palestine issue and erradicated world hunger and people would still have been frothing at the mouth the next time one of his passes didn't go forward

Dele is a fantastic asset for us and I am sure this season the time for him to express it properly will come . For the moment, to me when he plays is doing pretty well

Spot on, if you scroll through the in-match posts from the first half (probably the second too, I couldn't be arsed to do that at FT) you will see the unabated howling of dogs abuse at Winks, even though we were winning 2-0, were controlling the midfield and he was having a good match (as Jenas noted).

He could have discovered the Covid-19 vaccine, solved the Israel-Palestine issue and erradicated world hunger and people would still have been frothing at the mouth the next time one of his passes didn't go forward
Winksy did what he had to do on the night and did it well

And this is what confirmation bias looks like in full flow.
And this is what projection looks like in full flow. Don't worry Guido you are right and the whole world of football is wrong on this player. He'll come good you just hold you breath for it to happen. He's vital to our efforts this season. Did you see that backheel to Sonny in the box? They should make a poster with it. I'm looking forward to his next nutmeg...with bated breath. 10 more caps.

And this is what projection looks like in full flow. Don't worry Guido you are right and the whole world of football is wrong on this player. He'll come good you just hold you breath for it to happen. He's vital to our efforts this season. Did you see that backheel to Sonny in the box? They should make a poster with it. I'm looking forward to his next nutmeg...with bated breath. 10 more caps.
He played well in the 30mis he was on the pitch last night, certainly better than the number 10 who he replaced, the difference was fairly obvious. I just reporting on what I saw, not holding any previous bias or projection.

Thought he had a bloody decent showing yesterday. Popping up all over the midfield, Winning balls, keeping the ball pretty well and making some decent passes. Yeah he lost the ball a couple of times and didn't have 100% pass completion rate, but he definitely did more good than bad. Was part of the triple substitution that definitely lifted our performance.

Keep going Dele.

Totally agree, he looked rusty because he is rusty as he's barely played but he's superior to both Lamela and Bergwijn and maybe even Moura as well and we'd be stupid to cast him aside imo.

He played well in the 30mis he was on the pitch last night,
Do you often over-egg the pudding Guido?
ertainly better than the number 10 who he replaced
You said "well" so which is it? Is it "well" or was he just a lesser smelly turd? You can get rid of them both for all I'm concerned but comparisons to other players not up to it are tired points and mean little in the grand scheme of things.
I just reporting on what I saw, not holding any previous bias or projection.
Right, because confirmation bias only befalls other posters not named Guido. Gotcha. BTW did you reference those MF LOPs in your previous post or did you only comment on the positive aspects of his 30 minutes? Because when he came on what was needed was control not attacking...we were up two. And the 1 attack that bore fruit had nothing to do with him.

And you are absolutely projecting with those confirmation bias charges. Again, you are the one seeing things that so very few are seeing yet it is all the rest of us with the problem. Gotcha.

Nope, no bias at all in Guido. Mans been making an emotional appeal (at odds with the world of football) for a player for over 2 years but he's only spitting straight objectivity indeed. Gotcha.

Last edited:
Do you often over-egg the pudding Guido?

You said "well" so which is it? Is it "well" or was he just a lesser smelly turd? You can get rid of them both for all I'm concerned but comparisons to other players not up to it are tired points and mean little in the grand scheme of things.

Right, because confirmation bias only befalls other posters not named Guido. Gotcha. BTW did you reference those MF LOPs in your previous post or did you only comment on the positive aspects of his 30 minutes? Because when he came on what was needed was control not attacking...we were up two. And the 1 attack that bore fruit had nothing to do with him.

And you are absolutely projecting with those confirmation bias charges. Again, you are the one seeing things that so very few are seeing yet it is all the rest of us with the problem. Gotcha.

Nope, no bias at all in Guido. Mans been making an emotional appeal (at odds with the world of football) for a player for over 2 years but he's only spitting straight objectivity indeed. Gotcha.
He was on the pitch for fucking 30 mins and played well during that time. Played well in the context of an EL game which was IMO a crap watch (just as most group EL games are for a vast number of reasons both on and off the pitch).

Playing well is having a player contribute positively to the team. Playing well doesn't mean he was MOTM, doesn't mean he ripped the oppo to shreds, it doesn't mean he was the best footballer in the EL that round. He came on and contributed positively. I don't give two fucks if you don't like the comparison I made for him making a better contribution than Lamela did, you can choose to discount it or not, doesn't change the fact that he did though.

I acknowledged he made a couple of poor passes because he did. The difference is I looked at what he contributed both positively AND negatively, YOU can't do that because you can't get past the couple of misplaced passes, you haven't acknowledged anything other than that. That's confirmation bias. The fact that you are even discussing his performance after that game is proof of confirmation bias, as it was a solid performance. It doesn't warrant any analysis of it being significant or not. I don't think we learned a lot about any player last night other than Vinicius who (like me) we got to see kick a football for the very first time and maybe Davies sticking his head above the defence as a possible LCB option. And credit to Hart for doing an actual save and not hoofing the ball out to touch.

There really should be little analysis on this game as it's just like most EL group games, not great watches, caused by multiple factors on and off the pitch. Just move on, focus on more competitive games against more competitive oppo.

I acknowledged he made a couple of poor passes because he did. The difference is I looked at what he contributed both positively AND negatively, YOU can't do that because you can't get past the couple of misplaced passes, you haven't acknowledged anything other than that. That's confirmation bias.
No it's fucking not. Not giving out gold stars for staying upright is not my thing and nor should it be yours. You out here celebrating running around and completing a pass or two. My critiques are losing the fucking ball in MF FFS. There is a difference Guido and your failure to acknowledge that is troubling.

I'm less concerned with not making the pass to Sonny than I am with losing the ball in our half of the MF that directly resulted in a corner...and since we are shit at set piece defense that is a problem. We just gave up 3 goals in 8 minutes Guido. He was put on at a time where his focus should have been on control. He is a LOP monster and always has been and that is part of the reason his ass should have been sent away this TW. How do you not see that the focus of evaluation should be on the things I'm talking about and not celebrating him not pooping his pants like he's a fucking toddler? I know why...and you do too. Yours is an emotional appeal and not one based in objectivity. Let's hope the goals and nutmegs come back soon. 10 more caps.

I don't see how anyone could watch yesterday's match and think Lamela looked better as our 10 than Dele did. Lamela was SO slow on the ball last night, he killed quite a few chances going forward and wasn't dropping deep enough to help us build play through the midfield. I'm by no means anti-Lamela, but if he's going to play I'd prefer it be RAM as opposed to CAM.

Yes, Dele looked rusty at times in terms of some of the passes he made were the right idea but weren't quite executed well enough to create a big chance. He hasn't played in a while so that's to be expected. He was still quite good though, his little flick on to Son created a good chance, he nearly potted a goal that went through their keeper but he was able to chase down right in front of goal, he had that nice run and cross down the right that just didn't find a boot, etc. I also thought he was quite effective going deeper and helping progress the ball and tracked back well.

Was he perfect? No, but I think he played well.

No it's fucking not. Not giving out gold stars for staying upright is not my thing and nor should it be yours. You out here celebrating running around and completing a pass or two. My critiques are losing the fucking ball in MF FFS. There is a difference Guido and your failure to acknowledge that is troubling.

I'm less concerned with not making the pass to Sonny than I am with losing the ball in our half of the MF that directly resulted in a corner...and since we are shit at set piece defense that is a problem. We just gave up 3 goals in 8 minutes Guido. He was put on at a time where his focus should have been on control. He is a LOP monster and always has been and that is part of the reason his ass should have been sent away this TW. How do you not see that the focus of evaluation should be on the things I'm talking about and not celebrating him not pooping his pants like he's a fucking toddler? I know why...and you do too. Yours is an emotional appeal and not one based in objectivity. Let's hope the goals and nutmegs come back soon. 10 more caps.
He played well. It was a poor pass. They didn't score. Nothing to see here. Nothing to learn. Move on it's a fucking shite Europa League Group game.

I don't see how anyone could watch yesterday's match and think Lamela looked better as our 10 than Dele did. Lamela was SO slow on the ball last night, he killed quite a few chances going forward and wasn't dropping deep enough to help us build play through the midfield. I'm by no means anti-Lamela, but if he's going to play I'd prefer it be RAM as opposed to CAM.

Yes, Dele looked rusty at times in terms of some of the passes he made were the right idea but weren't quite executed well enough to create a big chance. He hasn't played in a while so that's to be expected. He was still quite good though, his little flick on to Son created a good chance, he nearly potted a goal that went through their keeper but he was able to chase down right in front of goal, he had that nice run and cross down the right that just didn't find a boot, etc. I also thought he was quite effective going deeper and helping progress the ball and tracked back well.

Was he perfect? No, but I think he played well.
Lamela had a poor game last night but had played well previously this season

Lamela had a poor game last night but had played well previously this season
Don't disagree at all, I think my thing with Lamela is that he's fine as a RAM but not as a CAM. He just slows the play down too much to be THE primary creative player in a side. As a RAM where he can take his time more and pick the right pass, he thrives. Especially as a RAM as well he has a bit more defensive duty, which we know he loves.

I really do not think we need 2 0f Sissoko, Winks & Hojbjerg against teams of this calibre. We should play 1 of them + Lo Celso, N'dombele or Dele. Who plays depends on who needs resting for PL match. We need 2 of the holding players against Burnley but they played 180 mins between them.

I don't know... I have to say that I saw nothing from that would suggest he should be starting games.

Lost ball multiple times in really llousy way. Did not see real determination or fight in him. Of course he showed some glimpses of brilliance in some moves, not disputing that for a moment. And he also has more skill than Moura, Lamela and Bergwijn... but I guess lot about him is down to attitude and eagerness. I am not convinced it is there.

Has to get sorted out one way or another by the summer. He’s on £140k/week, behind only Kane and Tanguy. I don’t think we can afford to just have him around in a peripheral role.

Levy will undoubtedly demand a fee more in line with what he was worth 3 years ago, so I have a hard team seeing a sale.

Has to get sorted out one way or another by the summer. He’s on £140k/week, behind only Kane and Tanguy. I don’t think we can afford to just have him around in a peripheral role.

Levy will undoubtedly demand a fee more in line with what he was worth 3 years ago, so I have a hard team seeing a sale.
I think it would have been best had he left a month ago, for his own good.

It can’t do his confidence any good for the team to offer him around, I really think he’s done with us, and I used to believe our future lies with Dele.

Terrible shame how he’s regressed so much.

Back
Top Bottom