Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane: 17 goals
Son: 16 goals
Moura: 6 goals
Vinicius: 6 goals
Lo Celso: 5 goals
Ndombele: 3 goals
Bale: 3 goals

It's not true that only Kane or Son are scoring.
Bale, Lo Celso and Ndombele could have scored more if they would not struggle with injuries.
Moura is okay so far and Vinicius will get more playing time.

How does that table look when you take out the games against the fodder, in europe and the cups, that we have had to play?

Edit : we have 7 league goals, half way through the season, that weren't scored by Kane & Son - if we had a third player chipping in with goals then perhaps some of those points we have thrown away would be in the bank instead...

Last edited:
Vinicius has looked no better in his cup games than Dele has, imo - in fact the two look to have a bit of an understanding developing on the pitch and I'd say there's room for both players to be used more regularly than they have been.

Vinicius certainly should be getting more game time coming in for Kane at the end of matches, i guess the issue there is we iften make games tighter than they should be by sutting on leads and so taking a player like Kane (or Son) off when you might need a goal is a tough decision to make?

wrt what Dele can offer i have little doubt that his numbers will get back to where they were if he gets game time in a team that has Hojberg and Ndombele in midfield
On theory, Vinicius type of forward allows a shadow forward to just behind him. So he can work with Kane. There is not much unsettlement needed for Kane and Son role. So he's more likely to get more game time if he keeps progressing by doing what Mourinho asked of him tactically.

Dele however is not a midfielder, nor a forward that lead the line. Dele on the pitch must mean Kane should stay at the top more. So Kane's play making ability needs to be replaced, either solely by Dele himself, or collectively by the teams. This is a huge change. It can go very wrong with messing Kane and Son roles.

So for Dele to be worth his time, he needs to "develop" his game, the good him of years ago may get into this tea currently, but in a long run as the team progress, his role would again eventually get eliminated with Kane being play maker.

On theory, Vinicius type of forward allows a shadow forward to just behind him. So he can work with Kane. There is not much unsettlement needed for Kane and Son role. So he's more likely to get more game time if he keeps progressing by doing what Mourinho asked of him tactically.

Dele however is not a midfielder, nor a forward that lead the line. Dele on the pitch must mean Kane should stay at the top more. So Kane's play making ability needs to be replaced, either solely by Dele himself, or collectively by the teams. This is a huge change. It can go very wrong with messing Kane and Son roles.

So for Dele to be worth his time, he needs to "develop" his game, the good him of years ago may get into this tea currently, but in a long run as the team progress, his role would again eventually get eliminated with Kane being play maker.

I think Dele fits quite comfortably as the most advanced central midfielder, even with Kane in the side - in fact Kane dropping off and playing the playmaker actually suits his tendency to push forward making smart runs - Kane would then have both Dele and Son to create for and opposition defences would have more to think about.

I'd say there's zero chance we'll see Vinicius and Kane play together regularly as you suggest, Mourinho wants a Bergwijn/Moura 3rd attacker who defends from the front, not another central striker

I think Dele fits quite comfortably as the most advanced central midfielder, even with Kane in the side - in fact Kane dropping off and playing the playmaker actually suits his tendency to push forward making smart runs - Kane would then have both Dele and Son to create for and opposition defences would have more to think about.

I'd say there's zero chance we'll see Vinicius and Kane play together regularly as you suggest, Mourinho wants a Bergwijn/Moura 3rd attacker who defends from the front, not another central striker
Different opinion then. Time will tell.

Mourinho namedropped Vinicius and Kane as able to work together.

Defending from the front is not only tracking back. Occupying defender, fighting for loose ball like Drogba, Diego Costa... Kane is needed for the play maker role, so ideally that fighter role would be someone else's; so that Kane can get more freedom, and less burden.

Not all forward runs is the same. Dele likes to play in the pocket of space/ in the shadow of other players aka shadow forward. Son, or Bergwijn need make ling bursting run starting from the wing. The kind of run where even if defenders see it, they can't deal with the sheer pace.

Dele was off the boil, well before JM arrived, and Winks is hardly a creative genius. Durham just says stuff for a reaction, and I change the radio station when he's on now.

Ah I take no notice really. It's more that I have no idea what he's talking about. Can a player play on the half turn? Are there players that can't? Are half turns better than full or 3/4 turns?
I'm probably just annoyed that fucking idiots get paid well to talk complete nonsense.
Used to love seeing the "Scotty Parker" turn 😁

Has a player with his goals/assists record at a young age ever been cunted off this badly at the age of 24? His career has almost disintegrated. Can't think offhand of anyone.

The way i see it he has 2 options. First is to get as far away from this manager as possible. 2nd is to sit tight, wait it out until Jose gets fucked off.

Because he's never going to get in a Jose team on any regular basis.

Has a player with his goals/assists record at a young age ever been cunted off this badly at the age of 24? His career has almost disintegrated. Can't think offhand of anyone.

The way i see it he has 2 options. First is to get as far away from this manager as possible. 2nd is to sit tight, wait it out until Jose gets fucked off.

But he did get in a Jose team on a regular basis. He had plenty of games to impress in fairness

But he did get in a Jose team on a regular basis. He had plenty of games to impress in fairness
Yeh last year but was he playing because of injuries? Kane and Son out, Sissoko and Winks were injured as well, Tanguy was in the doghouse, GLC was still settling in. We had no Bergwijn or PEH.

If all of those had been available i'm not sure he would have featured much back then either.

Last edited:

Dele was poor way before Jose got here. People seem to be misremembering that Jose was supposed to be revive his career. Here's The Guardian article on it.

It seemed to work for about 5 matches then Dele dropped form again. What I will say, Jose should definitely be giving Dele more opportunities than he is currently getting.

Dele was poor way before Jose got here. People seem to be misremembering that Jose was supposed to be revive his career. Here's The Guardian article on it.

It seemed to work for about 5 matches then Dele dropped form again. What I will say, Jose should definitely be giving Dele more opportunities than he is currently getting.
I haven’t had any issues with Dele being sidelined as he wasn’t earning a spot and when he was getting time, he was back to his underperforming ways.

Something has to give though and can maybe provide us something better than what others are showing. If he really isn’t doing what he needs to in practice and off the pitch then I guess he doesn’t deserve it, but if he is putting in the effort and work than we need to try something else and give him a shot. Can’t get much worse than we are at the moment.

The middle option is to go on loan. His contract probably lasts longer than Jose will.

Back
Top Bottom