Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How the flying fuck is this bloke still here. Still in the team.

He must show like a fucking genius in training because for at least three years he would not have gotten a run in any PL team. based on his performances.

We should have sold him years ago when we all knew he had gone but still had a big rep. I doubt we could give him away,

The whole Dele saga is so fucking tedious now.

What happened to the 2015-2018 Dele? He was incredible. Such a shame.
It's the key players around him. The 2 full backs that control the whole flanks. Dembele who couldn't be dispossessed. He just glided past everyone centrally. Eriksen could pin point passes. A dominant defensive midfielder in Wanyama that allowed more freedom for the players up front.

So Dele was not expected to track back as deep, and as much. He's not tasked with getting involved deep in our half, to build up, or to carry the ball up the pitch. Playing closer to Kane who occupying defenders, and with quality service from other players, it gave him space and time. With all of the above change, even Kane has to drop deep and work more with the build up, ad play make, it has brought Dele out of his comfortable zone. He's required to do more in almost every aspect of the game.

Look at you, Guido, making it personal instead of focusing on the topic at hand. I though you were more mature and better than that but clearly you are not. So instead of just responding to my post like a well-adjusted adult (or not responding, that was your choice) you decided to go with childish personal attacks...pure sign that you had reached the end of you reason. And/or that dele's performance was so indefensible you needed to change the focus.

I respond to your Dele nonsense because you are in here every fucking chance you get utilizing whatever gossamer thin shred of 'evidence' (on-screen or not) that this kid isn't a busted flush. You place the target on your back my man I just shoot it down. And for whatever narcissistic fantasies you might have you are not the only one...I ridicule all posters in this thread that spout similar nonsense to you because your delusion is of Trumpian proportions. You wanted us to stop the count after 3 games of running around a bit but the season is 38.

And to be clear, YOU made that snarky, dismissive comment that (so predictably) came back to bite you in the ass. I just made sure it was highlighted. Take it on the chin my man. I got called out on the Kane stuff by Swellhead Spur and took it like a man...not like the tantrum throwing child you are showing yourself to be. I guess the difference b/w you and me is I'm still confident in my take. But you know your teeny-bopper love affair for this kid was always on shaky ground and that deep down you've always been talking bullshit on this kid. Oh, and I'm a well-adjusted adult that wouldn't mistake personal attack for argument.

Learn a thing about what Dele is doing now and how well he has done it (Palace game NOT, as ALL were shite because Manager well and truly at fault for his set-up and tactics deployed in this game. The individuals selected all worked hard within a totally flawed and ineffectual system).

He's playing exactly the same role as PEH (not vs Palace) and is outperforming him in the role on every conceivable metric.

Now best leave me out of this tit-for-tat nonsense as you've literally posted NOTHING other than "he's crap". I've no time for this, there's nothing to your posts beyond this. If you wish to post something intellectually challenging then please do so, do so without having to involve me all the time, if your post engages intellectually on the topic of football and what he does or doesn't do, then I have the choice to read it and engage with it.

He's playing exactly the same role as PEH (not vs Palace) and is outperforming him in the role on every conceivable metric.

[]
Not sure about that. Hojbjerg has double, sometimes close to triple the touches and passes Dele manages per game. They had the same touches vs Wolves, but Hojbjerg managed nearly 20 more passes and Dele lost the ball 19 times to Hojbjerg's 4. Hojbjerg was probably our best player vs Watford, besting Dele in every stat but times fouled. Played an equal game vs City, Dele making more defensive actions and Hojbjerg doing a lot more in possession.

I'm sorry but if Dele is not scoring goals he's doing nothing.

If you want him to run around a lot and press well then you may as well start Winks or bring back Sissoko.

He's not good enough for this team. Lo Celso or Ndombele or Gil in that role would give far much more to the team.

Face it with him in the team we are worse because we lack creativity and goal threat. The player who plays in that Dele position has to do far more in an attacking sense.

Not sure about that. Hojbjerg has double, sometimes close to triple the touches and passes Dele manages per game. They had the same touches vs Wolves, but Hojbjerg managed nearly 20 more passes and Dele lost the ball 19 times to Hojbjerg's 4. Hojbjerg was probably our best player vs Watford, besting Dele in every stat but times fouled. Played an equal game vs City, Dele making more defensive actions and Hojbjerg doing a lot more in possession.
Fair enough. But in the role of an 8, he's making more pressures, more tackles creates more turnovers in our mid-block from where we launch our counters from. He's also joining those counters more than PEH. There are obviously nuances to every player dynamic but right now PEH hasn't performed anything like as well as Dele has across our games (again not really including either for the Palace game as we were so poorly set up I'm putting that squarely on the shoulders of Nuno).

Do I like our midfield 3 and how it's panning out under Nuno? NO!! But that's a completely different judgement.

I'm sorry but if Dele is not scoring goals he's doing nothing.

If you want him to run around a lot and press well then you may as well start Winks or bring back Sissoko.

He's not good enough for this team. Lo Celso or Ndombele or Gil in that role would give far much more to the team.

Face it with him in the team we are worse because we lack creativity and goal threat. The player who plays in that Dele position has to do far more in an attacking sense.
Why don't you but these expectations and measures on PEH?

What have you seen of Gil where he would be good in mid-block winning turnovers in the defensive third? Gil isn't an 8!!!

What have you seen of Gil where he would be good in mid-block winning turnovers in the defensive third? Gil isn't an 8!!!
Why? If we have two defensive players then I’m sure he would do well in a midfield 3

Fair enough. But in the role of an 8, he's making more pressures, more tackles creates more turnovers in our mid-block from where we launch our counters from. He's also joining those counters more than PEH. There are obviously nuances to every player dynamic but right now PEH hasn't performed anything like as well as Dele has across our games (again not really including either for the Palace game as we were so poorly set up I'm putting that squarely on the shoulders of Nuno).

Do I like our midfield 3 and how it's panning out under Nuno? NO!! But that's a completely different judgement.
Not trying to be spiky or anything, just thought you exaggerated a bit there. In support of Hojbjerg, I think his performance vs Watford was better than Dele has played all season. Agree with you though, Dele has been doing well in a fairly uninspiring gameplan. Could have scored vs Watford, vital in winning the penalty vs Wolves, and a really dogged display vs City.

We won't look so bad once Gio/Ndombele start playing regular minutes , and Dele should find himself in goal-scoring positions more often with them on the field.

Not trying to be spiky or anything, just thought you exaggerated a bit there. In support of Hojbjerg, I think his performance vs Watford was better than Dele has played all season. Agree with you though, Dele has been doing fairly well in a fairly uninspiring gameplan. Could have scored vs Watford, vital in winning the penalty vs Wolves, and a really dogged display vs City.

We won't look so bad once Gio/Ndombele start playing regular minutes , and Dele should find himself in goal-scoring positions more often with them on the field.
Yeah, I did lol. Getting absolutely fed up with people literally spouting crap about a player with total and complete disregard for the role they are performing.

Midfield has been our weakest position for ages (I'd say since we lost Dembele). The only things I like about it are Nuno has us far more aggressive (not vs Palace) and the shape is very disciplined, so it's very effective without the ball. But with the ball unless it's spinning a counter-attack it's hopeless.

Ndombele is as I'm sure most of us know is the key for us beginning to control a midfield when on the ball, for me he's vital. I completely understand why he's not been selected, you don't select a player that handed in a transfer request. Now the window is over it was good to see him back in the squad as I presume he's now being reintegrated, I was fuming he wasn't involved vs Palace. But is Ndombele as good without the ball as Skipp?? (and Skipp is quite some way from being good here, he's beginning to hold his own but in each game, he's had some significant poor moments - which is expected). I am expecting him to be fitter though, all the players look so under Nuno compared with the Dinosaur, so I'm assuming the same with him.

No, he played as a winger (although I have to be honest I've kinda forgotten the formations we played, think we went 3ATB for home leg?? with Sess in midfield?? Why can't I remember this? fuck getting old!)
I didn’t watch it tbh 😂

I don’t see him playing upfront in a 433. Just looks a typical Spainish player who always shows and is super comfortable
In taking the ball. Something our other zombies don’t do

Learn a thing about what Dele is doing now
Right, I'm the one that has to learn says the guy that posts a youtube video in lieu of stating what he thinks and who uses running stats as support for player quality. I'm starting to get the idea that you don't know what you are talking about Guido.
Now best leave me out of this tit-for-tat nonsense
Yes, best you leave yourself out of it. No one forced you to reply Guido...you are not a victim here. And your need to reply is interesting considering you said this...
For fuck sake just crack on all by yourself, you don't need me. I don't need you.
...just yesterday. I guess we should all be happy that you didn't resort to a diatribe of personal attack in your newly found need to reply.
If you wish to post something intellectually challenging
So intellectually engage an irrational person? That'll work. We should just try and get the Anti-vaxxers and Qanon to see reason, right? That's where you are Guido. The only people seeing positive in this player are irrational at this point...and they deserve ridicule not our understanding. The body of evidence is damning and conclusive. And just like the MouAnon who didn't see or didn't care what the dino was doing to our club. You are and have been there but with Dele. Reliance on this player hurts our club; when Dele scores or runs far it's his singular awesomeness but when he's shit it's everyone else's fault.
you've literally posted NOTHING other than "he's crap".
Welp, in my defense and if this was all I posted at least it has the benefit of being accurate. And I bet I did it without personally attacking you or playing the victim.

But again, this isn't about me Guido. It's about Dele. So feel free to regale us with your critical take on his Palace exploits...you know, those which you can begrudgingly attribute to him. And give it the same college try you give his running stats. Or you can tell us how awesome you think he'll perform vs Chelsea at the weekend. That's of particular interest. I'm willing to compare predictions on that. Are you? I'll bet that he'll be shit. But then again maybe he'll run a lot. Or maybe he'll be 'not-so-shit' in the ECL and you'll disregard his Chelsea play?

PEH is a DM? We bought him from Southamptona as a CM/DM.

Gil Played well in a midfield position v Pacos at home

Dele is a CAM. He has to do much better.

PEH is a DM? We bought him from Southamptona as a CM/DM.

Gil Played well in a midfield position v Pacos at home

Dele is a CAM. He has to do much better.

Depends very much upon who's playing him and what he's been asked to do:

Poch played him as an aux striker coming from the left, sometimes more central and as a box to box (#8).....

CP aside, Dele's been played as a #8.

Depends very much upon who's playing him and what he's been asked to do:

Poch played him as an aux striker coming from the left, sometimes more central and as a box to box (#8).....

CP aside, Dele's been played as a #8.
and how many assists/goals has he got.

The creativity isn't there and neither are the goals.

Even the likes of Hojbjerg who played at 6 last season registered more involvements than him. Cmon..

Back
Top Bottom