Did reaching the Champion league final paper over some cracks?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were bad last year due to WC and no preseason... It meant bodies on the pitch rather than tactics, If we have the same issues this year I will be very concerned

When I think back only a few seasons, we didn't look like a team who could get out of the CL group stages. Now we do look like one. That's a laudable achievement, because it's so hard.
Did we look like a team that could get out of the CL group stages last season? We were on the ropes for most of the group stage . Inter let us through by f-ing up rather than us doing something spectacular.

Did we look like a team that could get out of the CL group stages last season? We were on the ropes for most of the group stage . Inter let us through by f-ing up rather than us doing something spectacular.

Fair point, but we also came back against PSV, then played near perfect games against Inter at Wembley and Barca at Camp Nou. We earned our spot out of the group, even if we needed a little help on the last day.

A month ago you were moaning about people not 'moving on' from the Danny Rose handball incident in the CL final, but now, 4 weeks later, you're using the Llorente one to justify your own miserable, negative take on things.
To quote you then: "Why are we still going on about the [Danny Rose] penalty incident anyway. We were not going to win that match anyway. They were always going to score and we were never going to with the quality of attacking play we put up. Move on."

Justify that volte-face, if you can. Seems to me you're just a bit of a moaning minnie, so I won't waste my time responding to your criticism of me.
I know I have tried to block the match out of my memory but it was Sissoko and not Rose.

17 18 was a significant drop off from the year before that and 18 19 continued this downwards trend , we looked unrecognisable from the side that pushed Chelsea all the way just a couple of years previous

That is what happens when you allow stagnation to set in though and I am not convinced we have really done enough to address this still , so I'd expect at best that we standstill this year and get 4th if not stagnate further

For someone who says we need to support the current side you sure do like to put the pressure on our manager don't you?.

We have addressed one issue in the squad so far, replacing Dembele, we haven't done anything else whatsoever to support our manager and unless we sign more players before the end of the window the blame will lay at the feet of our chairman and owners if it all goes tits up, would you not agree with that?

I don't see what our manager can do to improve our position in the league on such a limited budget and when his options from the bench at times last season were incredibly poor.

Shows just how shallow your thinking is, or that perhaps you have zero business experience. or indeed maybe both those failings ...

So Spurs giving 17 players new contracts with much higher salaries is doing nothing ... paying more in bonuses than even the EPL champions paid, that's doing nothing ... providing the players with the best facilities in the EPL that's doing nothing? Frankly replying to use is like educating a ten year old ... I'm getting bored of pointing out the blindingly fuckin' obvious over and over again. Clearly you are either unwilling or unable to understand ... shame

Yes Poch could have done with 500m more to spend on players ... but then so could every other manager in the EPL as well .... 65m this window with hopefully more to come ... enjoy it

Papering over the crack implies that we fell below our expected minimum for the season but covered up for it with a CL final.

Bearing in mind that aside from our Champions League exploits we achieved 4th in the league, and a League cup semi-final, I'd say we are on par.

Sure it would be nice to do better, to maybe have won the semi, or to have consolidated our position in the league more comfortably, but I don't believe that what we achieved last season was particularly poor.

We're not yet at the stage where we can fight full tilt on all fronts, so maybe the better question would be, reaching the Champions League final cause the cracks in our league form?

100% papered over some cracks, however we showed a lot of balls throughout the CL run and it was exciting to say the least, we became the lovable underdog and won many friends along the way.
But there ain’t no hiding the fact that if Woolwich & Utd were even a “little” bit better than they were we would be having a serious rethink this summer, faced with Europa league football again😩 and of course constant media bull linking our top players to every CL club going.....

Levy dodged several .50 bullets last season with his gamble last summer, and of course stadium delays, the bullets missed, just.

I honestly thought there would be a deep breath at the end of the season with a cheeky grin and a collective “we proved the doubters wrong” and we would then really knuckle down with really good solid, well thought through transfers in Pre-season. Those transfers started well, Ndombele a very welcome addition and young Clarke certainly one for the future, and then we just hit the pause button, I say pause and not stop 🛑 because there is obviously still time, and Maguires move to Utd this weekend (a transfer which has been on the cards all summer) just proves every club has to be patient in their pursuit of their No1 targets......

So, this window will, and should be, only judged when it shuts, and in my opinion it will make or break not only our coming season but the next 3 seasons if we don’t get it right.

To be honest I think it was a miracle we got to the final.

Not so much talent as heart.

Still not quite sure how we got there.
Heart, desire & a never say die ethos.
Which made the final so disappointing. Neither team looked like they had much left in the tank. But I honestly thought we’d pull something out of the bag until the second goal.
Big season coming up for us. Not sure we will top the excitement of that CL run, but that’s what I love about the game. Every season starting with high hopes for every fan of every club in every division.
I’m hoping Poch can bring home a trophy this year
:tobyarm:

We were poor most of last season, but honestly I doubt any of us will see a stretch of drama like we had in the CL ever again in our lifetimes. Even winning the EPL wouldn't really match the situations we came out of to reach last year's final. Certainly any drama in the domestic cups would not match last year's CL.

Last edited:
The guy I sat next to at at Wembley agreed it was the worst the team had played under Poch but there was a certain resilience that meant we would win games. Both said it was down to the team getting older and more experienced.

Back end of the season as we lost a lot more games I think tiredness was the main factor.
Added to a lack of options in the squad.

1 signing this summer won’t be what Poch was hoping for.

But a “better” season of injuries will be just as important.

It was a very up and down season and the CL was just like a more streamlined representation of that. Amazing we got to the final, but all it really did was put us more on the radar, and if anything it probably showed the cracks, or lack of depth anyway.

Not sure the terminology is correct

"papered over the cracks"

That infers that nobody knows what's wrong with our squad, now you won't find a more positive biased fan than me, but even I am fully aware of the issues

Lack of squad depth: we visibly were found lacking as injuries took their toll. Lack of a pre-season: sure we were not alone but we did take the biggest hit. The Wembley factor: place was and is a feckin' dump, became a negative for us whilst still a positive for the visiting side. Tactical errors: we lost far to many games we should have won, the reasons varied but poor tactics certainly played a part.

So there were many 'cracks' but not convinced these were papered over, with the addition(s) this summer we certainly look to be addressing the personnel problem, proper pre-season, no more Wembley ... so now it's all down to tactics ... Poch over to you.

If Llorente's goal against Mancity gets taken off for handball, the cracks look bigger. We finished below a very shit chelsea. :S
A month ago you were moaning about people not 'moving on' from the Danny Rose handball incident in the CL final, but now, 4 weeks later, you're using the Llorente one to justify your own miserable, negative take on things.
To quote you then: "Why are we still going on about the [Danny Rose Sissoko] penalty incident anyway. We were not going to win that match anyway. They were always going to score and we were never going to with the quality of attacking play we put up. Move on."

Justify that volte-face, if you can. Seems to me you're just a bit of a moaning minnie, so I won't waste my time responding to your criticism of me.

Last edited:
I felt the football was disjointed, lacked a balanced creative midfield, wingbacks low vibe , only a handful of upbeat games in the league brother's.
We got top 4 but it was lonesome.
The CL was a fairy tale . 2 mega unbelievable games and a douchbag drag final .
Poch has his work cut out but he's a main dude and with help can pull it together .

Back
Top Bottom