Dilan Markanday

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It just seems to me that no matter what the outcome of this there would have been people that would have found reasons to put the boot in...the irony is that if we were truly a mid table team we could have given the lad a lot more opportunities in the league but as we are more ambitious and are chasing top four these lads have to be exceptional to get a run and those that manage it still get fucking grief...
Then what are Winks, PEH, Davies , etc doing here still! We are not ambitious at all.

There always are people moaning. Probably why forums exist I guess.

But I think the number of people on this forum who have real world experience of development football is minimal.
And if you did a job in professional football with any ambitions you wouldn’t have much time to come on here anyway.

Just listening to random blokes shout opinions at a computer screen. Take it all as random noise with the occasional insight.

End of the day what do any of us really know???? Next to nothing.
Here's a bit more insight on the thinking of another lad that left us...

Let's pretend that Kane, Winks, Skipp, Bentaleb, KWP don't exist and that becoming an EPL player in itself (let alone an international; which the bulk of these lads have been) is not doing a hell of a lot more than "not much"
The fact that Winks exists is still here is good reason to shut down the fucking academy!!!:adegrin2:

I would have preferred to have keep him because better to have someone under contract than not, but there is little to indicate that he will be someone that we regret and outside of maybe Madueke none of the other young guys we got rid of have come back to really be a regret when losing them like many fans were worried.

He 100% should not have been given first team minutes at all,
The problem with your last statement is that if he didn't deserve first team minutes, the in many peoples opinion none of the other youth team players would deserve the minutes.. but they still got more than he did. Which is part of the frustration I feel.

I know someone who recently had a three day trial at Spurs. They monitored his every move and told him to be more "Busy" so I'm thinking it is algorithms that choose our players not scouts?

The problem with your last statement is that if he didn't deserve first team minutes, the in many peoples opinion none of the other youth team players would deserve the minutes.. but they still got more than he did. Which is part of the frustration I feel.

I am likely much less interested in playing youth players than other are, so I can understand frustration if people feel the way you do.

Dilan Markanday may have only played 15 minutes of first team football for Tottenham Hotspur but his departure has caused a stir among the club's fans.

The 20-year-old this week penned a three-and-a-half year deal with Blackburn, with the option for another year, and has had new boss Tony Mowbray crowing about the potential of the young player the title-challenging Championship side have secured.

Markanday spurned a new contract at Tottenham in order to pursue what he saw as a better chance of first team football at Blackburn and he leaves north London for a nominal fee, but with what football.london understands is a large sell-on clause.

I know someone who recently had a three day trial at Spurs. They monitored his every move and told him to be more "Busy" so I'm thinking it is algorithms that choose our players not scouts?
What can you do in a 3 day trial? Surely you need a bit longer than that to evaluate a player properly.

Did this lad get invited back or what happened to him?

What can you do in a 3 day trial? Surely you need a bit longer than that to evaluate a player properly.

Did this lad get invited back or what happened to him?
You’ll want to cast your eyes over hundreds of players, won’t have the time to see more… also if you haven’t shown enough in three days you probably ain’t good enough

Dilan Markanday says his injury devastation was hard to process but the positivity since returning to Brockhall has been a big lift for the January signing.

Markanday had to undergo surgery after damaging his hamstring only minutes into his Rovers debut at Hull City in January, just 24 hours after signing from Tottenham Hotspur.

Rovers making it into the play-offs could give Markanday an outside chance of featuring again this season, but he’s not looking too far ahead in his recovery.

He said: “I’ll not pretend that the next day I was like ‘yeah, come on, let’s go’ because I want to play football, I was devastated. The first couple of weeks were hard. You always play through your head, what if I didn’t make that run, if I turned back and passed it, it wouldn’t have happened, but you can’t think like that."

“The first couple of weeks I was down, but when you come back into the building and people are saying positive things that helps, and that’s where I’m at. The first couple of weeks are always the hardest. The things you can do and the exercises you can do are limited."

“Five weeks post operation, we’re starting to build things up, build up my core, it’s about building week by week, making those marginal gains and hopefully can ramp it up more soon.”

His work was limited in the days after his injury but he has gradually built up his workload in the gym and hopes there can be physical improvements to come out of the disappointment of being out of the side.

The 20-year-old was upset at not being able to show what he could offer after his £500,000 switch, with manager Tony Mowbray and the club’s supporters all excited by his arrival.

He added: “I just wanted to show the fans what I can do, the manager, the players, gain their trust. I just wanted to play football, show what I can do and help the team but this has prevented me from being able to do that."

“It’s hard to explain, you’re devastated and realise for the next few months you’re not going to be able to help the team. You feel useless watching but I’ll be there to support them all the way, that’s all I can do, give them my support in the changing room and around the building.”

Markanday was a regular among the goals for Spurs Under-23s, with 12 in 14 Premier League appearances alongside five assists, which led to him being handed his first-team debut by the club in October.

He was handed his Rovers debut at Hull the day after his signing was confirmed, but immediately knew something was wrong when dribbling with the ball late on.

Markanday was grateful for the messages received from supporters when news of his injury lay-off broke, and also says the club have been fully supportive of him in his rehabilitation period.

“The mental side is more difficult than the physical. Moving away from home, you’re by yourself, you’re lonely, you’re coping with an injury , there’s lots of things going around your head."

“There’s a lot of good people around the club to support me, everyone is so kind and friendly, which I’m grateful for. I definitely feel more settled into the group, making some good bonds."

“When you’re not playing you get to see how the team are playing from a different perspective. When you’re in it it’s hard to see it, but from the side you get to see and feel and understand the club.”

At 20, and having signed a long-term deal with the club, there is plenty of time for Markanday to make a mark at Rovers, and says he’ll use his time away as extra motivation for when he does get back on the pitch.

“These obstacles and hurdles will make you stronger in the long run so I have to use it as fuel and motivation for when I come back to hit the ground running and show everyone and come back a stronger and better player and more mentally strong person."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom