Direct Free Kick Taker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the last year or so, we have lost two talented free kick takers (FKT) in Trippier and Eriksen. The free kick stats for our team this year are very poor and I’ve noticed Kane seems to be taking a lot of them. Kane has a lot of strengths but his free kick is not one of them. The vast majority of the time he either hits the wall or it goes way over. I love seeing him put his hands to the mouth and probably thinking “SO CLOSE” when in reality, it was a million miles away. Two other FKT in our team I’ve noticed have been somewhat decent: Lo Celso and to a lesser extent, Dier. My opinion on FKT is that it should be like our penalty kick takers, we have 1 person designated for that role and if they’re playing, they take the shot. There’s a little bit more to FKT based on location but again, our team does not seem to have one.

Whats everyone’s thoughts and if someone can find the stats behind Kane’s FKT success, that would be great? I think I’ve only seen him score one....all those years ago

From what we have I would say Dier/Kane if it's centre of goal and power is the aim.

Out wide to bend one in I would favour Lo Celso. bit of a curveball but I've been impressed with Son's corners too, he might be an option.

From what we have I would say Dier/Kane if it's centre of goal and power is the aim.

Out wide to bend one in I would favour Lo Celso. bit of a curveball but I've been impressed with Son's corners too, he might be an option.

I've always wanted Son to get some chances at corners when Eriksen was here, and now, i feel the same way about freekicks. He didn't get enough chances, but his direct freekick is pretty dangerous.

Really weird Kane hasn't taken or scored free kicks considering that he probably has the best shot in world football

Kane takes almost all of the FKs that he fancies in the last year and has been woeful throughout. Never even looks like scoring. A real anomaly but would be better for the team if he just accepts its not his jam and gives duties to someone else.

What's Kane scored, like one free kick in his career? And that was a flukey deflection against Villa back in his first full season, it baffles me whenever he's lining one up and the commentators build him up as a big threat, have they really never paid any attention to other matches??

Open play finishing, lethal, dead ball, woeful.

What is even more frustrating is that often it seems that some of the better FK/Corner takers are FB (Roberto Carlos, TAA, Trippier) and we are currently playing with two complete duds at FB.

It seems we could easily replace one of them with a "downgrade" (doubt it would be much of a downgrade) to a FB that is very good at both FK and Corners.

GLC and Son have been better but I prefer having both (Son especially) around the goal when the ball in coming in rather than taking the corner.

As evidenced by the second goal against Leicester and his memorial NLD goal Kane can bend the ball amazingly when he is attacking the goal but when lining up for a FK he only seems able to drill it hard into the wall.

What's Kane scored, like one free kick in his career? And that was a flukey deflection against Villa back in his first full season, it baffles me whenever he's lining one up and the commentators build him up as a big threat, have they really never paid any attention to other matches??

Scored one against Stoke too.

I assume he's lethal in training.

Yep, he's a natural finisher who acts on instinct with no time to think but as a free kick taker he has to think where he wants to put the ball and inevitably it doesn't go in.
I would give Dier a go ( if selected) he has the power and aim.
Lo Celso dont seem to have much of a wallop on him.

Kane has hit some incredibly accurate and powerful penalties. I can only assume he thinks he can do the same from further out. Pity about the wall of defenders.

Son, Dier, Lamela, and even Vertonghen (yes I know he’s probably off) are the realistic options.

Maybe I'm going to sound dense here, but is Kane's shooting style just not built for getting around/over and under a wall? As previously mentioned, he's lethal in the box and particularly good at shooting on instinct, but my takeaway from his free kicks is either hitting the wall or getting it off target.

If Eric Dier has that 'thing' instead then stick with him and have Kane ready to shoot from a rebound or save.

Maybe I'm going to sound dense here, but is Kane's shooting style just not built for getting around/over and under a wall? As previously mentioned, he's lethal in the box and particularly good at shooting on instinct, but my takeaway from his free kicks is either hitting the wall or getting it off target.

If Eric Dier has that 'thing' instead then stick with him and have Kane ready to shoot from a rebound or save.

I’ll acknowledge from the off that this is an unfair comparison, but Messi takes free-kicks almost like penalties. Obviously most don’t go in, but a lot do, and that’s down to precision and power.

Kane is an incredibly precise penalty taker most of the time, so we know he can hit them with accuracy from close range. He probably hits them with accuracy, but as you say, maybe the issue is beating the wall.

I could imagine he might be better if another player lays it off to him.

I'll put everything I have in my Nationwide 'Working From Home' Supersaver Guaranteed Income 24 Year Investment Bond With Bonuses account that Lo Celso could prove to be our silver lining regarding Free Kicks. Just remember, you read it here first.

I'd like to see Aurier have a go...

4821003c03f5b6b3-space-stars-gif-by-illiko-find-share-on-giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom