Director of Football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our biggest and most important signing has to be a director of football.

We dont just need 3 or 4 players. We need about 12. We simply have no depth.

We also cant keep shelling out 50m a player. We need to find these people before they become too expensive.

100% agree. The next signing has to be a DOF. And sort the scouting network out. Then buy players.

Why would a DOF be any different to what we have currently?

I’m really not sure if you are being serious. We need someone that is actively looking for players to improve the team. That isn’t Levy. Right now who’s actually in charge of recruitment? Because it’s not working.

Why would a DOF be any different to what we have currently?

A Sporting Director can be the continuity. You can sack a manager but with a top Sporting Director who understands football from scouting to the philosophy he can be the one to take charge implementing the scouting, the style, the recruitment.

So if the manager is sacked or leaves you don’t have to replace the whole squad, if you have players that suit the style you can bring in another coach.

It is the football vision of the club and that shouldn’t be Levy who is a brilliant businessman but not a football visionary.

I’m really not sure if you are being serious. We need someone that is actively looking for players to improve the team. That isn’t Levy. Right now who’s actually in charge of recruitment? Because it’s not working.
Why wouldn't I be serious?

I don't see how things would be different.

DOF - "We need to buy player X"
Levy - "They want too much for him, next...."

Isn't that similar to what happens now?

Poch did not want a director of football hopefully Jose does. Poch has stagnated the careers of Walker Peters and Skipp who both should have on loan at a championship club for the last12 months at least. Our entire set up regarding youth football were wrong( see Chelsea for the correct way to run an academy). Young premier league players at top 6 clubs are not going to go from academy football to premier league and make a difference.

Poch did not want a director of football hopefully Jose does. Poch has stagnated the careers of Walker Peters and Skipp who both should have on loan at a championship club for the last12 months at least. Our entire set up regarding youth football were wrong( see Chelsea for the correct way to run an academy). Young premier league players at top 6 clubs are not going to go from academy football to premier league and make a difference.
CHELSEA?????????

They got a transfer ban for the way they ran their academy.

Agree with your general point though.

Chelsea have a conveyor belt of young talented players who have experience of playing football against men from the age of 18(not 21). I know they have cheated the system and been a club we all hate but the people behind their academy are doing a superb job

Chelsea have a conveyor belt of young talented players who have experience of playing football against men from the age of 18(not 21). I know they have cheated the system and been a club we all hate but the people behind their academy are doing a superb job
Maybe their doing a great job because they have had a billionaire throwing dirty money at them. They were then able to go out and buy every young player with even an ounce of ability.
The ratio of young players in to players actually being PL quality would be interesting to see.

Any examples?

I don't mean the buying and cheating they have done I mean the loan structure they have. 12 month loan abroad 12 months in the championship and then squad players.They probably have 5 players all under 22 knocking on the door for England alone where Walker Peters a world cup winner in his age group has barely 20 senior games under his belt

Why wouldn't I be serious?

I don't see how things would be different.

DOF - "We need to buy player X"
Levy - "They want too much for him, next...."

Isn't that similar to what happens now?

A DOF would suggest a change in strategy and perhaps would bring in someone that actually knows something about football matters.

To grow as a club, that second part needs to change. We did spend money in the last two windows so there’s hope. We just need the right players.

the notes from thst meeting with levy touched on recruitment
unless ive mis-understood basically

Hitchin and Mourinho choose players they want
take the list to levy and he decides/tries which ones we can get

A DOF would suggest a change in strategy and perhaps would bring in someone that actually knows something about football matters.

To grow as a club, that second part needs to change. We did spend money in the last two windows so there’s hope. We just need the right players.
Sorry I'm struggling.

Manager sees a player or three that he believes will improve his squad. He gives the names and has a discussion with Levy and he goes off to the other club(s) to try and get a deal done.

Why would adding a DOF to that process change anything and/or make it more successful?

CHELSEA?????????

They got a transfer ban for the way they ran their academy.

Agree with your general point though.
They got a transfer ban for how they went about recruiting kids to the academy. Not for the actual academy setup and loaning them out thing.

Back
Top Bottom