Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think there’s a bit of confirmation bias at play here, as we’re all desperate for him to do well.

He comes alive with the ball at his feet, he he’s quite passive off the ball. I don’t get the impression that he’s entirely comfortable when he needs to press his man, and there’s a touch of the TAA’s about him in terms of positional awareness.

Still doesn’t excuse his lack of play for us, but I can see why Conte might not trust him. Emerson commands his area far better. He’s just an absolute clown when he passes the halfway line.

Emerson commands his area far better.
In the equivalent match for Emerson (his debut against Palace after not even being with us for a week, when Tanganga got a red) he got destroyed by Zaha. I'm just saying, you may be right, be let's give him time to adjust before we judge.

Physically he's all there. Offensively, he looks promising. But defensively, he needs alot of work. He's not a specimen or rapid in the way Walker was so I'm not sure if he can get away with it as much.

The loan will be really good for him, if he learns from it. Though its a real shame he didn't get a Premier League loan.

In the equivalent match for Emerson (his debut against Palace after not even being with us for a week, when Tanganga got a red) he got destroyed by Zaha. I'm just saying, you may be right, be let's give him time to adjust before we judge.
Sure, of course.

But since then Emerson has been ok defensively. He’s just awful going forward.

I think there’s a bit of confirmation bias at play here, as we’re all desperate for him to do well.

He comes alive with the ball at his feet, he he’s quite passive off the ball. I don’t get the impression that he’s entirely comfortable when he needs to press his man, and there’s a touch of the TAA’s about him in terms of positional awareness.

Still doesn’t excuse his lack of play for us, but I can see why Conte might not trust him. Emerson commands his area far better. He’s just an absolute clown when he passes the halfway line.
Conte’s system is predicated on creative attacking wing backs, it always has been. Royal can’t do shit going forward and it makes half the field a dead zone for us.

Perisic doesn’t control his area, he’s an awful defender who has cost us regular this year. You accept that because he’s good going forward.

Spence is by far the best fit to play Conte’s system and unlike Emerson he’s actually familiar playing wingback. The only reason Spence hasn’t played this season is because Conte is pissy he didn’t get whoever his first choice option was and he judged the lad before Spence ever stepped on the training pitch.

Conte threw his toys out of the pram and it’s obviously cost us. It’s not like playing Emerson has made us solid at the back. We’re 13th in the league in goals conceded, the defense is a shambles.

He’s effectively not played football for the last 6 months. More than happy to look past some his defensive deficiencies for the time being.

It is clear as day that he offers exactly what we needed going forward since the start of the season though.
Wouldn’t be surprised if we’d have been better off developing him, and dropping 45m on a CB.

Some people need to calm down with the highlight reels. That's a total of 4/5 mins out of an entire game.

No one is posting the moments where he jogs back in defence, or the buildup happens without his involvement.

It's a good start but not worth all the hype.

I watched the game. There were a couple of decent moments in attacking situations, but unfortunately Rennes basically parked a bus and didn't do much attacking or even playing, so it was hard to weigh up his performance with his team in possession. He played Rb in a back 4. He does like to bomb on and be ahead of the play. This can leave him stranded if/when the move breaks down, but if this is a tactical instruction, that's not on him.

Defensively he did look a bit raw, but didn't do anything horrendous. He did get himself skanked by David who scored, but was offside. Definitely prefers attacking.

Some people need to calm down with the highlight reels. That's a total of 4/5 mins out of an entire game.

No one is posting the moments where he jogs back in defence, or the buildup happens without his involvement.

More so it's France. What a useless league. Ndombele, njie, n'koudo all looked great beating players for fun in that League.
Its doing wonders for his fitness, sharpness and confidence though .

I'll be more impressed when/if he's doing well in their next Europa league knockout match

I don’t think it’s the highlights as much as he’s simply the type of player we missed at RWB the whole season ergo it’s frustrating as if we all know it Conte must have known it.

I watched the game. There were a couple of decent moments in attacking situations, but unfortunately Rennes basically parked a bus and didn't do much attacking or even playing, so it was hard to weigh up his performance with his team in possession. He played Rb in a back 4. He does like to bomb on and be ahead of the play. This can leave him stranded if/when the move breaks down, but if this is a tactical instruction, that's not on him.

Defensively he did look a bit raw, but didn't do anything horrendous. He did get himself skanked by David who scored, but was offside. Definitely prefers attacking.
He was exactly the same at Forest, a front foot defender who's not so interested in defending. Gets caught ahead of the play and is then slow to get back into position as says.

Which after 6 months with our coaching staff says something. Either they've decided not to coach him or the penny hasn't dropped for him. I don't believe for a minute they've not coached him.

Back
Top Bottom