Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What qualities are people seeing that make us think he’ll be the ideal wing back under Conte? I haven’t watched him a bunch but he doesn’t appear that technically gifted. He’s athletic but I’m not seeing supremely fast. He really looks a lot like Royal. So if we swap him for Royal I’m pretty sure we’ve atleast gotten worse in the short term. Royal has his limitations but he got better as the year progressed and showed he can play against the big boys while Spence was playing in the championship. In Conte and Paratici I trust but I hope this is more of one for the future. Or maybe this is all about the homegrown.

1 There really are not a lot of good RWB's available atm

2. Spurs are short of HG players (under UEFA definitions) - and there are not a lot of quality HG players available especially at a sensible price.

So solution is to find the best young HG player who we think can develop in a position we need to fill ..... hello Mr Spence

Slightly irks me this raw talent chat - whilst I do get it….he will get much better and might have a huge ceiling….also ffs come on he’ll be 22 when the season starts, he’s not a child.

Bryan Gil looks too weak and young to play in the PL (for now), Spence looks fine. Plus come on, he played in a championship winning promoted Forest team. This is no academy kid, he’s a full grown man.

Edited as below

Last edited:
Slightly irks me this raw talent chat - whilst I do get it….he will get much better and might have a huge ceiling….also ffs come on he’ll be 22 when the season starts, he’s not a child.

Bryan Gil looks too weak and young to play in the PL (for now), Spence looks fine. Plus come on, he played in a championship winning Forest team. This is no academy kid, he’s a full grown man.

Forest finished 4th, mate.

He’s far better technically than Royal.

I hope so. Like I said I won’t pretend that I’ve watched a lot of his games but what I have, I haven’t really seen it. I’m all for developing a guy, but if RWB was a problem last season that we need to address for next season I’m not so sure this reallly changes that.

Small sample of matches but promising he's risen to the challenge of playing against his biggest teams of his career so far

I was really excited about him until I saw him in the promotion play-offs. Emerson Royal would have done better.

Some of the lack of tracking back would make post injury Bale blush.

Really hope those 3/4 games don't end up meaning anything.

History says that Spurs should be a little bit careful when signing anyone with Nottingham Forest connections (yes I know he has only been on loan there). Teddy Sheringham aside I can’t think of any player that has done very well for us that had Forest associations. I can remember being quite excited at the prospect of signing Chris Fairclough who had always done well against us only to be disappointed. Same can be said ultimately for Steve Hodge who looked good til he got homesick. Andy Reid flattered to deceive as well and the less said about Johnny Metgod the better!

History says that Spurs should be a little bit careful when signing anyone with Nottingham Forest connections (yes I know he has only been on loan there). Teddy Sheringham aside I can’t think of any player that has done very well for us that had Forest associations. I can remember being quite excited at the prospect of signing Chris Fairclough who had always done well against us only to be disappointed. Same can be said ultimately for Steve Hodge who looked good til he got homesick. Andy Reid flattered to deceive as well and the less said about Johnny Metgod the better!
Does who we signed decades ago really matter just because it’s the same club? I mean it’s possible, but I don’t think it matters.

Does who we signed decades ago really matter just because it’s the same club? I mean it’s possible, but I don’t think it matters.
Of course it doesn’t. I was being a bit tongue in cheek. In my boredom I was just exercising my grey matter and thinking back to other Forest connected players we had signed over the years and came to the conclusion that we had signed shite!

Jenas? Dawson?

Andy Reid? Made me believe everyone can play for Spurs if they just ate a lot of deep fried food

:dawsonmean:
Andy Reid was wank but very occasionally that left foot of his would do something special. Always thought we should have bought Ian Woan from
forest in the 90s.
We'd have turned him into Andy Reid!!
'The Boy' Nigel would've been good, oh, and to help him settle in, maybe that Roy Keane kid too.... wasn't he a Spoirs fan as a kid?

Andy Reid was wank but very occasionally that left foot of his would do something special. Always thought we should have bought Ian Woan from
forest in the 90s.
Andy Reid would have been a top player in the 60’s/70’s. Very creative and rude like a lad growing up playing in the narrow alleys of Dublin. But signing him in 2005 was baffling by us.
Though tbf we were all other the place following the 2004 summer revolution buying non league players like Pamarot, solid but aging players like Naybet, and decent prospects we flogged off with no reason like Ziegler. With the likes of Brown, Sean Davies, Johnny Jackson hanging around. Massive experiment

Spence has a lot of potential but he’s very raw. I’m sure under Conte he’ll develop well but surely he’s just seen as a prospect. I can’t imagine he’ll be starting. Which raises the question of who will start. Royal did improve towards the end of the season but if anyone thinks he’s good enough to start for us, they’re laughing. Doherty went through a decent patch of form before his injury, but given that it was only a patch + his age. Is he really going to be starting?

I’m definitely worried about the RWB position. WBs are integral to Conte’s brand of football. We can’t afford to not bring in the best possible option.

Again. Not shitting on Spence at all. I’m sure he’ll turn into a good player but he isn’t at this level yet.

Sell both Doherty and Emerson perhaps and bring in Spence and an established right sided player like Dumfries? I’m not sure if that makes us stronger or weaker down that side actually.

Back
Top Bottom