Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am not saying that Wilder's right about his comments about Spence's mentality (I haven't seen those quotes anyway) but even though he never met Spence he for sure has info about Spence from people within the club who have met and worked with Spence and could have based in comments from that.

I'd suggest unless it's first hand experience, he'd do well to not publicly tarnish the lad.

Everytime I see his name on print, I read it as DJ Spence. Anyone else or just me?
You Are Big Brother GIF by Global TV

Conte yesterday:

"There is the new player Spence. He is a guy who has to work a lot, because to go into Tottenham it's different in the Premier League with Tottenham but in the end I'm happy."

What to make of that?
I think the positive reading is that he's pleased with Spence's potential, having seen him up close, but he wants him to improve his tactical level before he's ready to play.

One criticism of Spence last year was that he was caught out of position a fair bit, relied a lot on recovery pace and the RCB behind him. So, for sure, Conte is working on that, and saying to Spence that now you are at Spurs you have to take on board what I ask or you won't play (whereas at Forest you got away with your tactical weaknesses because they didn't have any other decent RWBs).

The 'in the end I'm happy' is the key for me though, because I think it suggests he does rate Spence and thinks he can turn him into a useful player for us.

I’m fed up with reports saying that Conte doesn’t want Djed in the team. Does anyone know if this is true or just made up by cunting anti spurs journos?
Ignore it. Anybody with half a brain finds it reasonable that he hasn't been playing. Exciting young player who had never played in the PL, has a steady and dependable player the manager trusts starting ahead of him right now. The coach will work with him, he'll get opportunities and hopefully he can use those to show us what he can do and earn more starts.

Gold has now eased Spurs fans’ fears regarding Spence, insisting that the former Boro man ‘ticks every box’ that Conte wants in a wing-back.

The journalist said on his YouTube channel: “Spence is one who the club feel will fit both Conte and the club. And Conte’s made it very clear that the club wanted Djed Spence.

“I was told this very clearly that Spence wasn’t a player that Spurs would have bought under any other manager. He just ticks every box Conte wants in a wing-back.”

I don't know how good this lad is but it looks pretty poor that Conte seems to be distancing himself from his signing considering we were linked to him for quite a while . I would have thought Conte would have made his feelings clear on the signing or any other one at that .

I don't think a kid on loan in the Championship can immediately step up into a CL and top 4 team and hit the levels expected. That's a very big jump.

I would expect he will need a season of development and possibly more to even get close. That's not what people want to hear though.

Back
Top Bottom