Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

“Once a red, always a red”

Jonah Hill No GIF by The Taboo Group

How dare you say that line, even in jest!

rude GIF

Anyone know if David Pleat had anything to do with this signing. Pleaty has a good record scouting lower league talent, so would be a good sign if he rates him. Was key in getting Dele.
No idea, but if Pleaty had anything to do with the scouting, you can guarantee he managed to get a few extra syllables out of “Djed “

“Dee-jay-Ed”

It’s exciting but he’s got a 44% take on success in the championship. That will probably fall in thé PL against better players.

Doherty tries far fewer take ons but has a 60% success right. There’s probably an element of decision making there.

Doherty is making 50% more passes and creating 50% more chances per 90.

Spence has as many goals and assists as Doherty but he played almost 5 times more minutes. And again, at a lower level.

I think we need to temper our excitement around Spence. Good prospect but he’s not going to come in and blow what we have out the water. It’ll take time. You could argue playing with better players will help Spence but for me Doherty gets the nod in the early games.
I think it may be more important to note his very good performances against PL opposition as more of an indicator of what he is capable of, moreso than just looking at stats (and I'm a huge stats fan).

With some players the more challenging the opposition, the better they perform. Hopefully, Djed is one of those type of players.

I think it may be more important to note his very good performances against PL opposition as more of an indicator of what he is capable of, moreso than just looking at stats (and I'm a huge stats fan).

With some players the more challenging the opposition, the better they perform. Hopefully, Djed is one of those type of players.
Id love that to be the case. I don’t expect it to be from day 1.

Id be happy if he got 15 starts this season. Would be a really good first season.

Not to pick nits, but it really ought to be The Sixth, Spence.

We've not had 5 other Spences, FFS

:pocheyes:
Here are the full names of our other 5 signings:

Fraser Spencer Forster
Ivan Perispencic (shortened it to Perisic when he left Croatia)
Richarlison Andrade Spencinho do Nascimento
Yves Bissouma (known in Mali as Yves Sixpence)
Clement "le Spenc" Lenglet

So yeah, he's our sixth Spence.

Pay attention, dude!

Who’s going to agree that Spence will be 1st choice RWB within a month or so?
Even if he's 2nd choice then he should get plenty of game time. With 5 subs next season, I would guess both wingbacks are probably going to get subbed most games to bring on fresh legs up and down the wings. If he does become 1st choice then I hope it's because he's taken his chance rather than the need to drop Doherty/Royal

Well we've got 6 wbs now. I'd expect at least one to be moved on. Guessing that will be Reggie, especially given hes the one we've seen linked out of the club recently.

Spence looks pretty damn good in the highlight reels. It appears he has the skills to be a good offensive contribution right now, with obviously even higher levels possible in the future if he improves his athleticism and ball skills further, which I think is possible and likely. We'll see how he does defensively though- a lot to still be proven when facing the very best talent. That being said, the idea of him linking up with Kulusevski down our right side is absolutely salivating. You have to believe playing along Romero will inspire him defensively as well.

I'd wager Emerson will start any tough games by default, Spence will be eased in against weaker oppo, then moving to a more even split if he proves competent in these games. I can see him starting in most games no earlier than mid November though- he'll need to prove himself several times before I can see Conte feeling comfortable with him against Top 6 and CL sides. I also believe Emerson will fight like hell for his place in the team, which is good for us and forces Spence to compete too.

In the highlight reels it looks like Spence is also playing some LWB/LB. That's pretty cool and something I hadn't realized he had in his locker. All in all I'm really psyched for this signing and look forward to seeing him in our colors this coming season.

Last edited:
Bit of a nob head concession to make. Would rather our new signing didn’t see shit like that.
Salah was apparently second choice at Liverpool, as was Kulsevski for us, and Son. Shit happens.

I will say though that I don't think he's a "conte wingback" like people are saying. A Conte WB has to have either great delivery into the box (trippier) or really good at scoring (doherty). Spence's supposed traits don't fit that mould.

Could also be some motivational tactics to push the lad

Could also be him comforting the players we already have in the position

At the end of the day we'll just have to see how he plays and go from there, he has a lot of potential

Could also be some motivational tactics to push the lad

Could also be him comforting the players we already have in the position

At the end of the day we'll just have to see how he plays and go from there, he has a lot of potential
It’s definitely saying you have to prove yourself.

I honestly think other than Kane, Son, and Lloris, who all three are guaranteed starters, every position is open. That’s why Conte wanted so many reinforcements. To make players up their game and fight for the spots left.

Back
Top Bottom