Do football leagues have writers or directors? Should they?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This may sound like conspiratorial nonsense but I've been following the amount of press that the Milan derby has been receiving mostly due to the altercation between the big Swede and Lukaku and it got me thinking how this single incident has generated so much coverage for Serie A and the two Milan clubs.

Is there any realm where leagues actually have like sort of 'plot directors', you know they may speak to Lukaku and Ibra and the clubs involved and say - well viewing figures are down for Serie A, we need to have some kind of incident to drum up interest - it would be great for this season of Serie A if the two of you butted heads for a bit - it would be all over the papers (which it is), it also benefits coverage for the clubs.

The reason I started thinking about this is because Lukaku has always come across as such a mild-mannered well spoken and level headed guy, I was very surprised that he got involved in that. It does seem plausible though, it's all about coverage these days, what gets more coverage than a little controversy or the two biggest strikers in the league having some beef?

Last edited:
Paddy's right the lack of a narrative hand is WHY football is compelling. Its also why American franchise owners are terrified by relegation. Yesterday is no indicator of today there are no historic clubs no matter how much AC Milan wish otherwise. No redemptive character arc. You don't get what you deserve. Thank fuck! If Spurs had a director it would be Tommy Wiseau.

I don't think they do... which is why "Well THAT wasn't in the script" is such overused football cliche... cos if there WAS a genuine script, you may as well just watch Escape to Victory, or another 'football film'

...as it is, the 'Narrative' has become the new byword for football.... (as has 'Project') and I think that is generated more by the Click hungry online media, or TV stations desperate for viewers...

(But yes, sometimes it feels like there's a pre arranged agreement for games to go a certain way!
Did you notice the goal times of both Palace v West Ham and Southampton v Arse on Tuesday...? They were almost identical until Palace got their second!!
...and all away wins that night....

If anything, it would be more akin to an Asian betting scandal rather than a league employing scriptwriters!!!
(Remember the Selhurst Park floodlight scandal??)

I don't think they do... which is why "Well THAT wasn't in the script" is such overused football cliche... cos if there WAS a genuine script, you may as well just watch Escape to Victory, or another 'football film'

...as it is, the 'Narrative' has become the new byword for football.... (as has 'Project') and I think that is generated more by the Click hungry online media, or TV stations desperate for viewers...

(But yes, sometimes it feels like there's a pre arranged agreement for games to go a certain way!
Did you notice the goal times of both Palace v West Ham and Southampton v Arse on Tuesday...? They were almost identical until Palace got their second!!
...and all away wins that night....

If anything, it would be more akin to an Asian betting scandal rather than a league employing scriptwriters!!!
(Remember the Selhurst Park floodlight scandal??)

Yes! I'm not saying the entire sport is riddled with a manufactured narrative. But surelyyyy it has happened here and there, this incident in Serie A just seems too scripted to me. What was the Selhurst Park floodlight scandal?

No way.

Ibra has always been like that and when he played for Inter did the same antics, only significantly toned down. For example he used to stare Ronaldo the Brazilian (another both Milano's clubs ex-player) for minutes before a game to get into his head (14 years ago).

Nowadays he does it more because he's much older and tries to make up for it with some more shithousery.

Back
Top Bottom