Do you give Guardiola credit for what he's acheived so far ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Without getting into the arguement about the teams he's managed, all i can say is that i enjoy watching Guardiola's teams play football. Wether he could get a lower league team and without spending a shit load of money playing the same way is certainly up for debate.

Without getting into the arguement about the teams he's managed, all i can say is that i enjoy watching Guardiola's teams play football. Wether he could get a lower league team and without spending a shit load of money playing the same way is certainly up for debate.

The point of this thread is exactly that debate !

I can give him some credit for Barcelona but most of it is somebody else's work and absolutely zero credit for anything else.

You need to be a decent manager to do what he has done. He went straight in at the top. Not a lot of managers fail to win stuff at Barca.
he didn't win a European cup at Bayern and they have won 15 titles since 1992 finishing below 2nd 5 times.
He's now at Man City and can buy whoever he wants. Mancini won a title there.
Valverde has managed 5 different clubs, and two of those twice in 14 years and not done as much as Pep.
valverde got Espanyol to the finals of the UEFA cup.
Olympiacos are virtually guaranteed a title, nothing to see there, but he got 3
A super cup with Bilbao

Let's see how he does at Barca.

I thought his Barcelona team, squad was magnificent and they played mesmerising, incredible football, rightfully gaining success. Most of the team were Barca youth players that he'd managed and he came in after Rijkaard had endured a difficult time and with an ageing squad.
He should have no credit for the other phases of his career - especially Bayern where essentially undid all of Heyneckes work.

The point of this thread is exactly that debate !

I can give him some credit for Barcelona but most of it is somebody else's work and absolutely zero credit for anything else.
Would you give him any credit if City pissed the league this season and went deep into or won the Champions league or would it be that he's just spent a load of money to achieve it?
I give him credit for the way he gets teams to play, but yes he needs top players for it to succeed and no i don't think he would be a success down at the bread and butter level of football.

I thought his Barcelona team, squad was magnificent and they played mesmerising, incredible football, rightfully gaining success. Most of the team were Barca youth players that he'd managed and he came in after Rijkaard had endured a difficult time and with an ageing squad.
He should have no credit for the other phases of his career - especially Bayern where essentially undid all of Heyneckes work.

Bayern was a disaster, they played some of the best football I have ever seen prior to Pep, it was never anywhere near the same team afterwards. He still won titles but it just was such a downgrade.

Bayern was a disaster, they played some of the best football I have ever seen prior to Pep, it was never anywhere near the same team afterwards. He still won titles but it just was such a downgrade.
Spot on - I know he'd left barca, but it was still essentially his team and Bayern destroyed them in the CL under Heyneckes.

Would you give him any credit if City pissed the league this season and went deep into or won the Champions league or would it be that he's just spent a load of money to achieve it?
I give him credit for the way he gets teams to play, but yes he needs top players for it to succeed and no i don't think he would be a success down at the bread and butter level of football.

I dunno I find it a really hard question to answer there always seems a far bigger reason than himself for his teams success, I suppose I'd have to give him some credit for winning the League or champions league but then again Zidane , Benitez , Di Matteo, Enrique have all won the champions league and Abram Grant very nearly aswell and Benitez is the only one id consider above average.

I agree football is horses for courses and a Mouriniho or Guardiola may not be able to go into a sinking ship in late February and keep it afloat Sam Allardyce or Pulis are far better candidates for that and likewise Allardyce or Pulis aren't going to be hugely successful at the other end of the table.

I guess I'd like to see Guardiola at a Spurs , Woolwich , Liverpool even Everton and see what he could do , I think that would be a good acid test.

I dunno I find it a really hard question to answer there always seems a far bigger reason than himself for his teams success, I suppose I'd have to give him some credit for winning the League or champions league but then again Zidane , Benitez , Di Matteo, Enrique have all won the champions league and Abram Grant very nearly aswell and Benitez is the only one id consider above average.

I agree football is horses for courses and a Mouriniho or Guardiola may not be able to go into a sinking ship in late February and keep it afloat Sam Allardyce or Pulis are far better candidates for that and likewise Allardyce or Pulis aren't going to be hugely successful at the other end of the table.

I guess I'd like to see Guardiola at a Spurs , Woolwich , Liverpool even Everton and see what he could do , I think that would be a good acid test.
I think you underestimate Zidane at real, he has consolidated a team and brought in very good youth without spending huge amounts

The Barcelona team that he managed was one of the best club sides I've seen. Having said that, he had an outstanding array of talent to choose from. Now he's at City with a bottomless pit of money to spend & seeing his post match interviews on MOTD he's a cock at times. Not that it would happen but it would be interesting to see how he would get on if he managed a struggling side like Palace

I doubt he could transform a team on a relatively tiny budget similar to Pochettino.
We'll probably never know since his idea of a challenge is taking over a team already with a decent core of players, and then spending half a billion to sort them out. And they wanted Alexis Sanchez as well, on top of what they have already!
Its like he is playing a computer game tbh.
And he seems a prick too in interviews and especially on the touchline if a team has the audacity to score against them.

I do. It's true that his professional jobs have been with insanely rich team, but you don't win trophies on a regular basis with scrubs. Plenty of managers fail with the rich clubs: AVB with Chelsea, Klinsmann with Bayern, Benitez with Inter, Benitez with Madrid...

I doubt he could transform a team on a relatively tiny budget similar to Pochettino.
We'll probably never know since his idea of a challenge is taking over a team already with a decent core of players, and then spending half a billion to sort them out. And they wanted Alexis Sanchez as well, on top of what they have already!
Its like he is playing a computer game tbh.
And he seems a prick too in interviews and especially on the touchline if a team has the audacity to score against them.
Definitely comes across as a prick, I think he's just Mourinho with better PR.

Back
Top Bottom