Do you think we could have held Bale at the club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think we could have held Bale or Modric at the club?

• Yes

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 84 75.7%

• Total voters
I would say Modric was excellent for us, not "alright". I assume Real Madrid agreed which is why they paid what they did. I don't think we appreciated how much Modric did for us, and we still haven't replaced him to this day.

A players' value is decided on what the buyer is willing to pay. It's as simple as that. Is Javi Martinez worth £34m? Not to me. But that's his 'value' because that is what Bayern needed and that's what they paid. Thiago Silva. Fernandinho. James Rodriguez. Lucas Moura. Illaramendi. Witsel. All huge sums, I would say at most 2 of those are world class, yet their fees suggest otherwise. These are not goal scorers, but the creative midfielders you speak of.

If no clubs needed Modric at the time, his value would be £0. His value only becomes necessary when another club wants his services. Then he is worth however many pennies we can squeeze out of them.

I wasn't saying he was only alright for us because back then we definitely more than an 'alright' team. I was just trying to point out he is a player who is capable of making the players around him play at their best.

Also the players you named don't fill the same role as Modric and were bought by teams which need to pay huge sums because they don't have the lure of Madrid so it's harder to force a move.

I wasn't saying he was only alright for us because back then we definitely more than an 'alright' team. I was just trying to point out he is a player who is capable of making the players around him play at their best.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

Also the players you named don't fill the same role as Modric and were bought by teams which need to pay huge sums because they don't have the lure of Madrid so it's harder to force a move.
You suggested strikers are worth more as goals = value. I picked out several defenders and midfielders that were bought for huge sums of money. Add Gotze to that list.

From my list:
Martinez. Bilbao to Bayern
Silva. AC Milan to PSG
Fernandinho. Shakhtar to City
Rodriguez. Porto to Monaco
Moura. Sao Paulo to PSG
Illaramendi. Sociedad to Real Madrid
Witsel. Benfica to Zenit

At least 5 of those have moved to bigger clubs. Gotze also. The teams buying pay huge sums because either the players have massive buy-out clauses or the selling clubs dig their heels in and demand high fees for their players. If players don't push for a move, their value only increases.

Easily for another season at least if the money men at the club had of wanted to. Even better the real funny thing was the expectations of the board(cunts) didn't change a lick after selling him and building a whole new team. Levy is an impatient meddling fucking prick who is great at turning a football club into a complete business were players are nothing more than inter-changeable entertainers with a price tag around their necks. If he builds the stadium all is forgiven off-course but he's been dragging ass on that for years with abunch of stories and bullshit. This summer we've been graced with another managerial search and subsequent appointment just so the little twat faced money grabber can cunt him off as soon as they have a disagreement. Yay go spurs.

oh yeah and arsenil won the FA Cup :adethumbup:

:paulinhofacepalm:

A simple NO to this question.

Let's see any club other than Barcelona or Real M resist the next world record bid.

It's a shame, but impossible.

likewise anyone who thinks a contract is next to meaningless, is an idiot
You're partly right with that one but that's not how football business works. Bale wanted to join Real and so he refused to go to training. I'd call that something like a strike, and his motivation and thus his ability would seriously suffer from that I'm sure. I know it's not fair but that's how it seems to work actually.

You're partly right with that one but that's not how football business works. Bale wanted to join Real and so he refused to go to training. I'd call that something like a strike, and his motivation and thus his ability would seriously suffer from that I'm sure. I know it's not fair but that's how it seems to work actually.

yea because Bale would've stayed unhappy all season whilst rotting in the reserves

nah he'd of got his act together when the season got under way proper like Suarez did who threw a fuckn tantrum too then pulled his pants down and took a big shit on the whole fuckn league lol

anyway are you like an expert on football business buddy? and how it works an all :ap:

yea because Bale would've stayed unhappy all season whilst rotting in the reserves

nah he'd of got his act together when the season got under way proper like Suarez did who threw a fuckn tantrum too then pulled his pants down and took a big shit on the whole fuckn league lol

anyway are you like an expert on football business buddy? and how it works an all :ap:

You must know Gareth very well to predict so much from him....mugging someone off when your supposed "expertise" is based on "I wish, I wish, I wish!!" as opposed to reality.

Far more likely that Bale would have gone this summer anyway, and spent the whole of last season fannying around trying not to get injured.

Last edited:
I was thinking yes at first, just because Liverpool did it. But the reality is a player can buy themselves out of a contract if they want (with help from RM), and you can even take these things to court. Employment law would never side with the club trying to keep someone in there team.

The fact that Bale & Modric for that matter will be thumbing through THIS in the changing rooms, pre-match on Saturday night;
250px-2014_UCL_Final_Visual_Identity.jpg

leads me to conclude that no, we couldn't have held on to either of them...

Bale-Modric_AP_2915766b.jpg

Yeah, I think they're regretting every minute out there!

You must know Gareth very well to predict so much from him....mugging someone off when your supposed "expertise" is based on "I wish, I wish, I wish!!" as opposed to reality.

Far more likely that Bale would have gone this summer anyway, and spent the whole of last season fannying around trying not to get injured.

yeah like Suarez spent the whole of last season fannying around trying not to get injured

anyway go fuck yourself sammy ya worthless cunt

I was thinking yes at first, just because Liverpool did it. But the reality is a player can buy themselves out of a contract if they want (with help from RM), and you can even take these things to court. Employment law would never side with the club trying to keep someone in there team.

when the fuck has any of that ever happened in the EPL or any top league for that matter?

fuck off, you lot do spout some fuckn bollox

Back
Top Bottom