Does Anyone Still Supporting Keeping Kane?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should We Have Sold?

• Total voters
None of those would have come to spurs

Hahaha imagine.

'Hey Bernardo and Aymeric .. you're both regular starters in a team that wins the league and challenges for the CL whilst getting paid bucketloads, fancy coming over to the conference league with Spurs?'

All of these players City were supposedly willing to swap would have laughed in our faces, aside from *maybe* Jesus who isn't very good anyway. They're some of the best players in their position in the Premier League, they're not coming to Spurs just because City did a deal for Kane.

There's a reason swap deals almost never happen. Player gets the final say.

How do you know there was no offer on the table?
Well no one knows do they? So all the people saying 'we should have used the Man C offer as an opening point for negotiations' etc are talking bollocks, because they have no evidence whatsoever that there was any such offer.

Also the nonsense that Levy said he'll "refuse to pick up the phone" etc - how many times over the years have we heard chairman say a player is not for sale at any price, only to find that player move for a huge price a few weeks later? Anyone who seriously thinks that if Pep got a message through to Levy that he wanted to offer £500m for Kane, Levy would refuse to speak to him, must be absolutely bonkers. Everyone has a price, especially for a cold guy like Levy. The "I refuse to speak to City, Kane's not going anywhere" was just a clear message that Kane wasn't going anywhere without good money being paid, just as it is whenever any chairman says that at any club.

None of those would have come to spurs

Most likely not, however Levy didn’t even enquire and most of our fans were saying they didn’t want City’s cast offs which was laughable. Nonetheless we should have got rid of him, we choose to keep him instead of trying to get a big transfer fee.

Well no one knows do they? So all the people saying 'we should have used the Man C offer as an opening point for negotiations' etc are talking bollocks, because they have no evidence whatsoever that there was any such offer.

Also the nonsense that Levy said he'll "refuse to pick up the phone" etc - how many times over the years have we heard chairman say a player is not for sale at any price, only to find that player move for a huge price a few weeks later? Anyone who seriously thinks that if Pep got a message through to Levy that he wanted to offer £500m for Kane, Levy would refuse to speak to him, must be absolutely bonkers. Everyone has a price, especially for a cold guy like Levy. The "I refuse to speak to City, Kane's not going anywhere" was just a clear message that Kane wasn't going anywhere without good money being paid, just as it is whenever any chairman says that at any club.
That offer of 100 million was given by many sources. And on top if their manager is openly saying that our owner is not negotiating, then it was levy who kept a player here who didnt want to be . When he does go now, it will be an even worse offer. Just really poor from the levy.

That offer of 100 million was given by many sources. And on top if their manager is openly saying that our owner is not negotiating, then it was levy who kept a player here who didnt want to be . When he does go now, it will be an even worse offer. Just really poor from the levy.
Please read my previous post:
  • I don't recall any reliable sources saying that - other than things like the usual 'BBC Gossip' which every summer contains about 20 offers every day and confirmations of imminent signings that never actually happen. If you read a reliable source that was somehow missed from being posted on here, please post it now.
  • As I said, chairmen often say a player is 'not for sale at any price' - obviously they don't mean that, if someone offered £500m for Kane then obviously Levy would have taken it, so saying he's not prepared to discuss it is a very obvious and well-known tactic for ensuring absolute top dollar if the player does go. I'm amazed that I need to explain that to anyone claiming to be a football fan. Or do you honestly believe Levy would have refused to discuss an offer of (say) £500m? :/

Please read my previous post:
  • I don't recall any reliable sources saying that - other than things like the usual 'BBC Gossip' which every summer contains about 20 offers every day and confirmations of imminent signings that never actually happen. If you read a reliable source that was somehow missed from being posted on here, please post it now.
  • As I said, chairman often say a player is 'not for sale at any price' - obviously they don't mean that, if someone offered £500m for Kane then obviously Levy would have taken it, so saying he's not prepared to discuss it is a very obvious and well-known tactic for ensuring absolute top dollar if the player does go. I'm amazed that I need to explain that to anyone claiming to be a football fan. Or do you honestly believe Levy would have refused to discuss an offer of (say) £500m? :/

I read your previous post. Their manager went on tv saying what he said because an offer was either made and rejected or if levy is just not willing to talk. Levy is an idiot, so it is possible that his ego got the better of him and he 'showed' them who's boss. As expected it was a bad decision and he wont even get what he was getting before anymore.

I dread to think what could have happened in the last few games if it weren't for Harry's goals. We would be out of the EFL Cup and struggling in the ECL and it was his goal and assist that helped us win v Newcastle.
We are in the position we are in because of the manager's shit tactics and selections and our not very good creative midfielders not because of Harry Kane.
Harry’s goals? He’s scored 1 goal in our 10 league games and that against second from bottom and winless Newcastle.

I read your previous post. Their manager went on tv saying what he said because an offer was either made and rejected or if levy is just not willing to talk. Levy is an idiot, so it is possible that his ego got the better of him and he 'showed' them who's boss. As expected it was a bad decision and he wont even get what he was getting before anymore.
You don't know that, you're making assumptions that suit your narrative.

Simple question: Knowing what sort of man he is, do you believe that Levy would have refused to discuss if Pep got a message through to him that City would pay £500m for Kane? Let's start there...

You don't know that, you're making assumptions that suit your narrative.

Simple question: Knowing what sort of man he is, do you believe that Levy would have refused to discuss if Pep got a message through to him that City would pay £500m for Kane? Let's start there...
No ones paying 500 million for Kane though. And no ones going to pay the ridiculous valuations that Levy has for our players. We ended up getting almost nothing for Eriksen, we will almost nothing for Dele, and we will end up geting much less for Kane thanwe could have because of levy's failure to negotiate with them over the summer.

There is no more obvious sign of our disastrous mismanagement than the ways in which we consistently fail to correctly assess the value of our assets. Consider the massive string of depreciations, without a single trophy to show for it:

- Dele: once plausibly worth 125m+, now listed at 33m on transfermarkt
- Eriksen: once plausibly worth 75m+, sold for 17m
- Sanchez: bought for 42m, now listed at 35m
- Sessegnon: bought for 25m, now listed at 19m
- Aurier: bought for 23m, left on a free
- Clarke: bought for 12m, now listed at 5m

I could go on and on. And now Kane. We don't know exactly what was on offer this past summer, but we can be sure that whatever will be on offer in the coming windows will be less. We are fundamentally broken. And now we will watch Kane--who looks 28 going on 35, who tried his hardest to get out, who would lose to Big Sam in a footrace and has all the quickness of the chair I'm sitting on--plummet in value, the way *everyone* seems to plummet in value at Tottenham.
If we had sold Dele and Eriksen at their peak, people would have gone ballistic at Levy and labelled us a selling club forever more with no ambition till that bald C*** GOES etc etc etc

So you're on Pep's side he who openly named Kane as a player he wanted and they wanted to bid for. A player under a contract with another team.

Pep broke the golden rule - tapping up players and mentioning players he wants from another club.

Complete Dick move regardless of what the best outcome was for all parties.

I hate everything about how this club is run right now

However

It looks like we were only ever offered 75mil for Kane , that is all that was on the table . People keep mentioning 150mil bids turned down but there is zero evidence to support that

While 75 mil might seem like reasonable business right now it was insulting 3 months ago for a player who finished top of the scoring and assist charts in the previous season and had been a prolific goalscorer for 5 or 6 years

We were right to turn that down

Besides if we had sold him for a big fee we’d have only pissed the money up against a wall on a handful of magic beans

I think that’s booolocks.

Levy never gave a price. That was the problem.

he probably thought they would say 220m.

but he never gave a price. That’s why he is a fool. No plan.

The saddest of all sad realities for H. Loads of manoeuvring for Haaland. Literally nothing credible from any major club for him.

tumblr_pszcq0SokW1v0f036o2_r1_400.gifv
All this talk about City wanting Kane was all talk and a pre negotiation tactic before they go after their real target that happens to be bigger, faster, stronger, and younger.

Problem is, City tried to low ball us. They tapped up Kane and Charlie. You can have no doubt that the timing of the Neville interview was no accident. They wanted to unsettle the Spurs squad and ensure they didn't end up finishing in the top 4.

My expectation is that the relationship between Kane, the club and the squad is beyond repair and we now face the grim prospect of getting well below what we expected for Kane.

Problem is, City tried to low ball us. They tapped up Kane and Charlie. You can have no doubt that the timing of the Neville interview was no accident. They wanted to unsettle the Spurs squad and ensure they didn't end up finishing in the top 4.

My expectation is that the relationship between Kane, the club and the squad is beyond repair and we now face the grim prospect of getting well below what we expected for Kane.

You can only blame the chairman.

He is the one that knows everything.

Guy is a dick.

No ones paying 500 million for Kane though. And no ones going to pay the ridiculous valuations that Levy has for our players. We ended up getting almost nothing for Eriksen, we will almost nothing for Dele, and we will end up geting much less for Kane thanwe could have because of levy's failure to negotiate with them over the summer.
You're missing the point I was making in my original post. The £500m I quoted is an extreme example to show that the suggestion that Levy was 'not prepared to speak to City about Kane' is obviously nonsense, as he would if it had been at that level. Exactly what level Levy would have been comfortable with, none of us knows, and exactly what level City would have gone to, none of us knows, so all posts about that are pure speculation. Given what we KNOW (rather that what you assume because it suits your narrative) the only way Levy could have 'negotiated' would have been to publicly say that Kane was for sale, and if he had done that then we obviously would have got peanuts for him.

Que cera, cera.

We would have needed to replace Kane at some point anyway. Maybe this will accelerate the planning oh wait

Thank god there are some people who have the ability to see this situation for what it is...

Back
Top Bottom