DOFs that are available

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ShutUpPatrik

Not sure if toxic positivity, or positively toxic?
Something that most of us on here can agree on is that we do not trust Levy to properly handle a rebuild and that we need to get a DOF/sporting director in. So I figured why not have a thread to discuss possible names that we could get in. We have multiple for managers and for a new striker to replace Kane so why not?

Names that have already been discussed is Luis Campos, who built both the championship Monaco team and the current Lille team that look set to steal the league from PSG. Then we have his German counterpart Ralf Rangnick that we are apparently also linked with in a manager role. I think most on here want either of those but there are other good names available as well.

Andoni Zubizarreta has been out of work since he fell out with the former Marseille president, who wanted him replace with someone that could "Sell players to England". He did a good job building a strong Marseille team out of smartly scouted youth and a few crafty veterans. And before that he worked at Barcelona and brought Luis Suarez among others to Catalonia.

Another available name is Michael Emenalo. Emenalo is mainly credited as a key figure in Chelsea's current era of success, having rebuilt their academy, scouting, loan and women's setup. As well as getting players like Kante, Hazard, Mata and Courtois to the club. He later left Chelsea for Monaco and worked alongside Campos up until 2019.

If we want some pure Tottenham DNA we can also go for good old Steve Perryman. He spend years as DOF for Exeter City and was in some form of advisory role at MK Dons up until 2019. But he may be retired now. But maybe he would return if Spurs came calling.

Last edited:
Names that have already been discussed is Luis Campos, who built both the championship Monaco team and the current Lille team that look set to steal the league from PSG. Then we have his German counterpart Ralf Rangnick that we are apparently also linked with in a manager role. I think most on here want either of those but there are other good names available as well.
We might as well just hire Rangnick and let him handle everything.

Would save us money as well.

We might as well just hire Rangnick and let him handle everything.

Would save us money as well.
That would be the ideal scenario. But there are other names available that while probably not as good, is better than no DOF at all. Emenalo's resume is very impressive and is up there with Rangnicks in my opinion.

That would be the ideal scenario. But there are other names available that while probably not as good, is better than no DOF at all. Emenalo's resume is very impressive and is up there with Rangnicks in my opinion.
What would prevent us from getting Rangnick is even if he wants to come, Levy would have a hard time in relinquishing control.

Even though he’s shit on the football side of things.

We've had DOF's with Levy, it hasn't worked out and he's always got rid of them. Why would it be any different now?

IMO We need to get rid of Levy before any DOF can be of benefit.

We've had DOF's with Levy, it hasn't worked out and he's always got rid of them. Why would it be any different now?

IMO We need to get rid of Levy before any DOF can be of benefit.
So we should just not try then?

So many on here seem to just go "it won't work with Levy either way". If that is the case we should just shutter operations then and go home.

So we should just not try then?

So many on here seem to just go "it won't work with Levy either way". If that is the case we should just shutter operations then and go home.
No try it but don't expect it to succeed. It hasn't done previously. You might think that's defeatist but i'd say it's more a case of the old saying about doing the same thing and expecting a different result. It's the definition of madness.

No try it but don't expect it to succeed. It hasn't done previously. You might think that's defeatist but i'd say it's more a case of the old saying about doing the same thing and expecting a different result. It's the definition of madness.
Thing is, there are parts of football operations where Levy would refuse to hand over control.

Player transfers would for example always be done by Levy, he is a control freak and he’d always think he’s the best at negotiating.

I’m really not clued up on current DoF’s so I don’t know who’s be a good choice. I also don’t know if it would work with Levy, but I really think we have to try. I am firmly in the #LevyOut camp now, but as I can’t see that happening any time soon a DoF might be a help in the interim.

Director of Football only makes sense if he has full control over how the team plays. The coach could have some input but he is there to implement the strategy on the training ground.

It works if you have Ferguson deciding things and then Queroz and McClaren taking training sessions. I can't think of another case in England where it has worked.

Director of Football only makes sense if he has full control over how the team plays. The coach could have some input but he is there to implement the strategy on the training ground.

It works if you have Ferguson deciding things and then Queroz and McClaren taking training sessions. I can't think of another case in England where it has worked.
City and Liverpool are doing decent with their setups.

Chelsea's current setup was all built by Michael Emenalo.

City and Liverpool are doing decent with their setups.

Chelsea's current setup was all built by Michael Emenalo.
Could be wrong, but I don't think either City or Liverpool has a Director of Football, more a head of recruitment.

They have guys who are responsible for recruitment using a 2 year window ... which means getting the players Guardiola or Klopp need to implement what they plan to do on the pitch.

Based on the documentary the guy we have as head of recruitment basically does the admin around transfers, he doesn't decide much.

Could be wrong, but I don't think either City or Liverpool has a Director of Football, more a head of recruitment.

They have guys who are responsible for recruitment using a 2 year window ... which means getting the players Guardiola or Klopp need to implement what they plan to do on the pitch.

Based on the documentary the guy we have as head of recruitment basically does the admin around transfers, he doesn't decide much.
City's DOF is Txiki Begiristain, and he more or less runs the football operations for them, which includes recruitment.

Liverpool has some guy named Michael Edwards as their DOF. I have no idea how much of the club that he controls.

Maybe what we need then is a head of recruitment.

I get that the English footballing culture is still clinging on to the notion of the manager or chairman doing everything, but that setup is quickly dying and Spurs needs to adapt with the times.

City's DOF is Txiki Begiristain, and he more or less runs the football operations for them, which includes recruitment.

Liverpool has some guy named Michael Edwards as their DOF. I have no idea how much of the club that he controls.

Maybe what we need then is a head of recruitment.

I get that the English footballing culture is still clinging on to the notion of the manager or chairman doing everything, but that setup is quickly dying and Spurs needs to adapt with the times.
That probably is another case of a Director of Football having the control over how the team wants to play then. The guy at City played most of his career in the same Barcelona team as Guardiola. No surprise that they are on the same page on how they want to play and which players can do it, and City have the finances to go and get Guardiola once he became available.

I guess that is the way to make sure there is no fight between the Director of Football and the manager. Poch always said he was the coach not the manager, so you do wonder who was making more strategic decisions. I guess that is what Levy means when he says attacking football is in our DNA ... the next set up whatever it is will be based on that as a strategy. I'm sure we will find a way to fuck it up but it sort of makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom