Don Revie

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Revie was before my time so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who can remember the reaction to him quitting England for the UAE.
How much of an outcry was there?
The FA suspended Revie from football for TEN YEARS on a charge of bringing the game into disrepute which was then overturned on appeal.
I know Revie was no angel and widely viewed as a mercenary and what he did was not in the right spirit but I don't see how the FA could ever have thought he was bringing the game into disrepute.

Yes, he went to the Middle East to negotiate a contract when he said he was on a scouting assignment but then again the FA had apparently gone behind his back and approached Bobby Robson about replacing him.

Would the FA have come down on him so hard if he had negotiated the UAE role while still manager at Leeds? No chance.

I think the allegations of bribery that were made against Revie are far more serious and that is bringing the game into disrepute.

More remembered for his brutal thug like leeds team of the time that won at all costs. ..but i recall him going to the uae made front page headlines... he was lambasted from pillar to post ..almost made out to be persona non grata after legging it for £££..was rumored he'd never be allowed back in the country!..after all, the england managers job at that time was the absolute pinnacle of the proffesion and sporting life in this country...you had to be english to be england manager back then.. no foriegn tripe.!😯.we where aloof in world football cos it was our game still..we made it so had the right to lord it over the rest of the world.

I only remember one quote from an England player at the time after Revie got the job. First game in charge he tells the players at the meetup that he managed to negotiate an extra £500 appearance fee for everyone.

Cue everyone looking at each other. His appearance on Parkinson with Brian Clough is pretty legendary as to the kind of man he was.

No disrespect to the departed but I don't think he was a nice guy.

The outcry was huge.

At the time Revie said he was leaving the England post as the pressure he received from media and fans was ruining his life whilst he was already in contract negotiations with the UAE FA. The English FA gave him a 10 year ban. I think the only place where he was forgiven was at Leeds where he was (and still is, I'm sure) worshipped.

For all the talk of the press getting worse over the years, I think the media damnation was worse then as there were far fewer sporting options and distractions to be had - it was football, football, football, a bit of cricket and tennis for 2 weeks a year, and not much else.

A link to a far more detailed account of the time:

Cue everyone looking at each other. His appearance on Parkinson with Brian Clough is pretty legendary as to the kind of man he was.

Apologies for the pedantry but the appearance was on Yorkshire TVs 'Calendar' magazine programme, hosted by Austin Mitchell (who became an MP). The appearance took place very soon after Clough had been sacked by Leeds and was seen as a bit of a stitch up, as Revie still had so much influence in the city.

Apologies for the pedantry but the appearance was on Yorkshire TVs 'Calendar' magazine programme, hosted by Austin Mitchell (who became an MP). The appearance took place very soon after Clough had been sacked by Leeds and was seen as a bit of a stitch up, as Revie still had so much influence in the city.
Pedants are always welcome in my house. Thanks for the correction.

I only remember one quote from an England player at the time after Revie got the job. First game in charge he tells the players at the meetup that he managed to negotiate an extra £500 appearance fee for everyone.

No disrespect to the departed but I don't think he was a nice guy.

That was Emlyn Hughes on Match of the 70s. I remember seeing that. Revie had their appearance money increased from £100 to £300.

Ironic that Hughes should mention this as his reputation wasn't exactly whiter than white.

Back
Top Bottom