Dutch & Belgian league merge

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have the Dutch clubs voted yet? If not I guess that the ball is in their proverbial court.

It will be interesting to see how they resolve the allotment of European places.

Guess this puts an end to the Atlantic League idea once and for all.
Netherlands, Belgium, Scotland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway

Or perhaps not, if they just change the countries.
'Atlantic League' to combine teams from Scotland, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway in an inter-country competition.

Seems it won't happen until 2025 or later - 2025 is when current tv deals run out - assuming it does

uefa saying national leagues important although happy with regional leagues.

I can see the 18 club BeNL league having a minimum of say 6 'biggest' clubs from each of nl and be with other places determined on results

Nothing on internet I can find about a dutch vote......

Guess this puts an end to the Atlantic League idea once and for all.
Netherlands, Belgium, Scotland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway

Or perhaps not, if they just change the countries.
'Atlantic League' to combine teams from Scotland, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway in an inter-country competition.
Irish club teams are basically amateur and nowhere near the required level

Smart move. Can't see the Belgian sides really threatening the hegemony of Ajax/PSV, but everyone would be better off like that. I think more European countries will follow like BENELUX to EU

It will start the ball rolling all over Europe Spain/Portugal, Sweden/Norway/Denmark.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it would be great for Benfica to leave the corrupt and incompetent system of Portuguese football, and being part of a much larger TV and sponsorship market, with all the extra money that it could bring. We would be a lot more competitive in Europe. Given the number of supporters we have, and the revenue we already generate in a very small market, Benfica would be at a level similar to Atlético Madrid.

On the other hand, a Spain/Portugal merger would be dominated by Spanish clubs and Spanish interests, probably not a good thing... We would also win a lot less domestic trophies, which would suck. At the end of the day, being a fan of one of the top clubs in a 2nd tier league is probably more fun than being a fan of a club that doesn't win much in a top notch league. Look at Newcastle or Everton, even Tottenham...

Although I believe the pressure and depression/hysteria at a club like Benfica is more intense. The only acceptable result is to win all the time, anything else is the end of the world. There's a reason why I don't post in Benfica forums anymore, the extreme bipolarity will drive you insane.

I'd be prefer something that was rumored many years ago. It was the first proposal of the Atlantic League, with clubs from Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Scotland, etc. More balanced than Spain/Portugal.

Its the beginning of the European super league. Honestly shocked to see so many content with this occurrence. This is the proverbial leak in the dam...once you allow UEFA the precedent of recognizing non-national leagues there is only one direction they're interested in moving.

Back
Top Bottom