Dutch & Belgian league merge

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Belgium is fucking weird, man. Look it up; it's not a real country, or rather it wasn't before it was drawn up in the aftermath of the Napoleonic to contain France.

Belgium in that sense has a bit in common with the entirely fictitious nations drawn up in Africa and the Middle East by the Colonial Powers and the victorious Allied powers after WW1 and WW2.

My understanding is that it's a belief that is widespread among the Belgians themselves, and that many feel that it is inevitable that the country splits in two.

In particular, I remember an interview with Vertonghen a number of years back, when they asked him about the great amount of Belgian talent coming through the Premier League, and in particular how his relationship with Eden Hazard was now that they were playing for rival clubs, and his response was basically "I don't know Eden very well at all, we don't even speak the same language. He's basically French while I am Flemish."
I have a few Belgium mates.And we were at a gig years back,and i introduced one of them to another mate as being from Belgium. He took me to one side later ,and asked me never to do that again. Introduce him as Flemish.

Back
Top Bottom